Christmas 2022

Seat68

They’ve put the lights up on the high street here, but not officially switched them on. And one of the houses behind me appear to have some lights in the garden. So we’re getting there.

Curiously there’s not been as many plastic poppies stuck to lampposts, although there is a poppy mural thing by the community centre. Much prefer that.

About 80% of the presents shopping is done, just a few more things to get. My daughter is with me on the big day, so ideally everyone else has to have one thing to open.

I just looked it up and for those interested, the Blink 182 cover is by Postmodern Jukebox, featuring Puddles Pity Party. To be honest, I think the John Lewis adverts have been hit and miss in recent years, but I quite liked that one.

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

They’ve put the lights up on the high street here, but not officially switched them on. And one of the houses behind me appear to have some lights in the garden. So we’re getting there.

Curiously there’s not been as many plastic poppies stuck to lampposts, although there is a poppy mural thing by the community centre. Much prefer that.

About 80% of the presents shopping is done, just a few more things to get. My daughter is with me on the big day, so ideally everyone else has to have one thing to open.

I just looked it up and for those interested, the Blink 182 cover is by Postmodern Jukebox, featuring Puddles Pity Party. To be honest, I think the John Lewis adverts have been hit and miss in recent years, but I quite liked that one.

I wondered who the vocalist was. I like PMJ and Puddles Pity Party does a pretty good cover. 

god i love christmas and all the build up. I'd put the tree up now if I could persuade the wife. We've compromised, we've got a few nights in london next week and once we're back then its going up. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 3

We usually get a very large turkey and live off it for a week. We are a family that loves turkey so it’s an element of Christmas that’s popular. That said the past few years, possibly through breeding and genetics, turkeys are getting very wiry. Lots of sinew. So maybe going for a much smaller turkey this year. 

I nearly started this thread last week when the Christmas market opened in Brum.

It was several weeks ago I watched staff at a local pub putting up a Christmas tree whilst we were ordering a breakfast there.

I love Christmas, pretty much everything about it (except the religious stuff that just gets in the way, obviously...other than Carols, they're OK. And Nativities. Actually cancel that, I love just everything).

I don't mind it starting earlier.  It's a shame but I'm not going to get upset about it.

• Like 4

We bought a Turkey (crown) a few weeks ago after the annual scare mongering news reports about shortages. Also had loads of them at reasonable prices.

We’ve bee adding a few bits to the regular shopping also to avoid having 1 mega expensive trip a week before Christmas (when everything will probably be out of stock too).

I'd rather have a longer come down with the decs in January than putting them up too early in November. Each to their own. Softens the blow of January by finishing off all of the xmas foods and drink.

Having said that against my better judgement i am meeting up with a mate on Saturday in Brum for the German Market. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

I am back at work on 26th Dec but as I wfh then it'll be laptop propped on the arm of the settee all day. I appreciate I am lucky to be able to wfh so I can get pissed the night before and not worry about driving to the office the next day. 

As I get older, presents and getting new stuff doesn't bother me. Like @Ingram85 I really value spending time with family and close friends and xmas is probably the only time it can be done - for me anyway. 

Edited by mottaloo

I don't really care about Christmas anymore.

Working in retail over Christmas for a couple of years was hell and will kill any sense of joy in the season. And then both my parents died. So Christmas became going to my sister's for most of the day to spend it with her family and then going home to sit around for the rest of the day. And last year I didn't even do that, it was just sat at home alone all day bar a couple of hours where my girlfriend can't round with a impromptu buffet in place of Christmas dinner and seeing my sister for about 10 minutes to swap presents. I haven't bothered with decorations for a few years now.

So yeah. It's not great. And **** John Lewis ads.

Edited by Chindie
  • Sad 3

Sky Christmas starts on Friday apparently.

Then you get those weird minor Christmas channels showing Christmas films you've never hear of from September.

I am in awe of anyone watching Christmas films that early :popcorn: