Christmas 2022

Seat68

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I assume that should read 'days'. 

For me, it would read 'minutes'. 

Yeah, I could see that. Especially in these days of Shrinkflation. More box than matchmaker these days. 

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've been working my way through a box of Orange Matchmakers the last few days. The taste of Christmas right there. 

Had a Turkey dinner in The Pub on Friday too 😁

Got a box of Quality Street on the side, and like you, I've already had a turkey dinner in a pub! :) 

On 30/11/2022 at 03:26, tomav84 said:

so we get an arrival drink. that's it.

we then get told there's a magician and photo booth...because that's exactly what people want their xmas party budget spent on

i've organised xmas parties before and they're a pain in the arse, so fair doos for organising, but for the love of god find out what the people want rather than trying to be too clever

guarantee if they'd surveyed the floor and given the choice between drinks vouchers and a magician, i'd guesstimate a good 95% would want the drinks

there's 180 people going, including senior management. maybe they're trying to keep it sensible.

I work for the government, so we get nothing.  But back in the dot com days I had a girlfriend who worked for a very successful (at the time) database company here in Silicon Valley, and all those companies did amazing Christmas parties.  One year they leased the local racetrack and actually had a staged horse race with the silks adorned with logos of the company and main competitors (guess which horse won).  Free food and drink and a band.  The next year, they joined forces with Industrial Light and Magic (George Lucas’ company) and another company to rent an exhibition hall in San Francisco for 3 nights that was turned into a carnival of sorts, with different ethnic foods in different areas, roaming entertainers, unlimited booze and a band.  And they bused us all up from the company parking lot.   I miss those days.

• Like 1

Tree went up at the weekend, along with the other decorations. Only in the living room though, nowhere else in the house is looking festive. Need to buy some chocolates for the tree and not eat them all as they’re en route to the tree.

Also thinking about buying a new reef.

26 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If you are looking for a new reef, I have one that you can place your hands on

I was half expecting a reference to that song. Although I was equally bracing myself for some reference to tequila.

Now I realise it Terrorvision who did that song.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I was half expecting a reference to that song. Although I was equally bracing myself for some reference to tequila.

Now I realise it Terrorvision who did that song.

Now that is a blast from the past. I remember the Regular Urban Survivors album. Great cover artwork, done in a film poster style. Film classification signed by 'Terry Vision'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

OK, if it makes you happy.  Fine.

• Thanks 1

On 23/11/2022 at 13:56, BOF said:

It's not to fix my back. I know they're not miracle workers. It's just to be the most comfortable I can possibly be while working every day. A positive tweak I can make to my day to day. But I appreciate the positive review of it. 15 year road test is an endorsement in itself.

Chair arrived 🤗🤗

5 hours ago, bickster said:

The elves have invaded my office and deposited shite on my desk the words removed52D3048A-D8D2-4CE0-891D-5FB2C33601B3.jpeg

Knowing that you work in the taxi business, I always assumed your office was a portakabin with fake wooden panelling, a nicotine stained ceiling and a grumpy overweight old moggie curled up under the 1kw wall heater, hissing at any visitors. 

Shows what I know 😆

Edited by mottaloo

10 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Knowing that you work in the taxi business, I always assumed your office was a portakabin with fake wooden panelling, a nicotine stained ceiling and a grumpy overweight old moggie curled up under the 1kw wall heater, hissing at any visitors. 

Shows what I know 😆

Oh, you use posh taxis do you? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Im more interested in the delta complaint do tell 😃

That is actually one of the stupidest long running complaint sagas of recent memory

The customer is totally round the bend.

Customer asked driver if his card machine was working, driver said it was but coudn't guarantee it would be where customer was going (notorious signal blackspot)

They decided that they'd try it there and then to make sure (this is the customers insistence), driver charged her the minimum fare that was on the meter. The payment worked. Customer decided to end the journey there because, well who knows why other than being a barmpot. Then complains they've been charged too much to go from one end of the street to the other

Thats a request from the council for the details as they've now gone to them to complain.

We get shit like that all the time

• Haha 1

I never do Secret Santa. At every job I've ever had, I carefully avoided being involved in it.

Until now.

I've been co-opted into it this year. I **** hate it.

I like the person I've been assigned. I know a little about them but none of the things I know help with getting a gift that meets the brief - their interests either go well over the budget, or simply don't really 'go' for gifts, and they don't drink so the crap bottle of wine doesn't work either. I don't want to get something for them that is totally generic, as what's the **** point then, and equally I don't want to waste the money just getting any old random shit.

In short, **** Secret Santa. I'd rather eat the money.

• Like 1