Christmas 2022

Seat68

I hate the dark months, so I've found as I've got older I try and get more fun out of Halloween and Xmas.  I've got a young family too, so that makes it extra fun.  My 7 year old is already starting to "play it cool" which has shocked me.  He's not arsed if I mention Santa and stuff.  I can't believe I'm already at that point! 

The 3 year old is excited though, and we went through the Smyths catalogue, cut out the toys and stuck them and wrote the big man a letter :) 

I don't mind the Xmas stuff as long as it's after Bonfire night, it keeps me focused on Xmas and not the darkness/wetness all round shitness this season represents.  Other than the pretty trees, it's shit.

Also, **** January/February - truly terrible months. 

• Like 2

can't wait till xmas. in the build up and in the week post xmas i eat all the xmas snack foods that supermarkets offer. plus i always get a load of cheese in for snacking on over the festive period. get a load of fancy pate in too...different varieties...i don't even like the stuff that much. why? **** knows...just christmas innit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I don't really care about Christmas anymore.

Working in retail over Christmas for a couple of years was hell and will kill any sense of joy in the season. And then both my parents died. So Christmas became going to my sister's for most of the day to spend it with her family and then going home to sit around for the rest of the day. And last year I didn't even do that, it was just sat at home alone all day bar a couple of hours where my girlfriend can't round with a impromptu buffet in place of Christmas dinner and seeing my sister for about 10 minutes to swap presents. I haven't bothered with decorations for a few years now.

So yeah. It's not great. And **** John Lewis ads.

Sorry for your losses. Losing a parent definitely made it harder for me over Christmas the last few years, but becoming a new dad recently I am very excited for future Christmas's 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I.........LOVE.........SPROUTS

Eat them most of the year anyway.  100 times nicer than Broccoli.

That’s a bit like saying being poked in the eye is 100x better than being kicked in the balls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

So is my eldest. 

It's still a shite month, although we obviously do something cool with him on his birthday! 

mine's the 3rd. literally no one wants to do anything. just had xmas, new year, you're miserable at going back to work. no one wants to celebrate anyone's birthday

Bloke I work with has his birthday on Christmas day. Every year he invites everyone out for a birthday beer.  He is a very popular bloke and at the heart of any joviality or mischief in the office. 

Every year he bemoans that no one turned up or even wished him happy birthday, so one year we all arranged for him to get a happy birthday text message on Christmas day. He had about 50 people text him and wish him happy birthday. He loved it🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I.........LOVE.........SPROUTS

Eat them most of the year anyway.  100 times nicer than Broccoli.

They're both delicious cooked properly, IMO. Roasted with some oil, garlic, maybe some thyme or rosemary. Some salt and pepper. Bit of bacon with the sprouts for the meaty people. Can't go wrong.

Nothing as bad as sad, soggy, boiled veg which I think is why most people hate sprouts.

• Like 1

Stollen

I think my favorite of all the Christmas cakes, I first tried it when dad bought some from Aldi and I haven't looked back since, I try and get some every year.

Christmas Cake

I've always liked this, as a child an auntie used to make some and bring it over in a biscuit tin, another one that I like to have every year, although usually it's in the form of one of those Iced Christmas Loaf things, but I think pretty much the same thing.

Mince Pies

Yet another that I usually have every year, last Christmas I tried to be clever and bought some cheaper Mince Pies initially thinking I'll get the luxury ones when after Christmas Day when they're on sale but they must have sold out as they were all out and was silly as they weren't expensive to begin with, the cheaper ones aren't bad anyway.

Christmas Pudding

I don't often have this but don't mind it.

Yule Log

Another that I rarely have but that I like.

Dundee Cake

I found some of this in a biscuit tin, might have been a Roses late one night in the kitchen, truth be told probably had been there a long time, but tasted alright to me.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Christimas what the hells that? Was that the time we had money to put big dinners and give each other gifts?

I think i remember those times when we actually had money to live on

Christmas could well get a thoroughly needed reset this year which hopefully stays with us.

It's really got out of hand in recent times.  Such a load of money just wasted on nothing really and stupid amounts spent on presents and just other shit that no one really needs.

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Christmas could well get a thoroughly needed reset this year which hopefully stays with us.

It's really got out of hand in recent times.  Such a load of money just wasted on nothing really and stupid amounts spent on presents.

Yeah i think alot of people will make cut backs this year. I dont see how you cant with whats coming

Might be a good time to reflcet on what we have and not what we really want. As shit as things are here those poor Ukrainians are going through much much worse

• Like 2