Christmas 2022

Seat68

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Christimas what the hells that? Was that the time we had money to put big dinners and give each other gifts?

I think i remember those times when we actually had money to live on

Our family have agreed to restrict presents just to the little 'uns this year. Nothing between the grownups. 

• Like 2

l still laugh when I remember my late (teetotal) mam making her usual half dozen xmas cakes for the family and friends. 

Old skool recipe, never written down. 

Two things I always remember:

1. She used to insist on buying her ingredients from a pick and scoop store in the precinct off Erdington high Street. I used to groan when I got the call to take her there, every September. I used to hang around outside trying not to make eye contact with the locals. It really is a depressing place.

2. As I said, she was teetotal so had little idea of what amounts of booze to put in the cakes. One year she discovered a bottle of overproof Wray and Nephew white jamaican rum a workmate got me when he was visiting family out there. It was a special edition and even stronger than the usual stuff. She lashed the whole bottle into 6 cakes "to be sure" it tasted ok ! All the recipients were delighted that year and I was £30 out of pocket. 

I wouldn't mind but I don't even like Christmas cake ☹️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Christimas what the hells that? Was that the time we had money to put big dinners and give each other gifts?

I think i remember those times when we actually had money to live on

You own a property in London. You are practically Jacob Rees-Mogg to us brummie oiks! :P 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Christmas could well get a thoroughly needed reset this year which hopefully stays with us.

It's really got out of hand in recent times.  Such a load of money just wasted on nothing really and stupid amounts spent on presents and just other shit that no one really needs.

Yup, most of it is tat. Christmas doesn't need to be about presents for the adults, its just about getting together with your loved ones and enjoying yourself.

**** materialism! 

• Like 2

Yep, me and the missus aren’t getting each other this Christmas . We’ve not had the best of years anyway but with cost of living we said **** it.  In all honesty I’d rather it be like that from now on. It’s her birthday two days after anyway .

How to tell people; who will buy me things; that I don't want anything. I didn't want anything last year and I failed to get the message across then, and now I have more than I had then. And I'm the baddie because I haven't thought about what I want.  I have! And I came up with nothing.

And I say all of this knowing I do the exact same to my Dad i.e. he wants nothing either but I buy him stuff regardless.  Ah isn't Christmas fun! (yes, it is btw)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BOF said:

How to tell people; who will buy me things; that I don't want anything. I didn't want anything last year and I failed to get the message across then, and now I have more than I had then. And I'm the baddie because I haven't thought about what I want.  I have! And I came up with nothing.

And I say all of this knowing I do the exact same to my Dad i.e. he wants nothing either but I buy him stuff regardless.  Ah isn't Christmas fun! (yes, it is btw)

We're telling people we're not buying them things and want nothing in return.

Instead we want to see them and have food/drinks as that's more important to us. 

If they must get us something, than make a donation to charity in our names. 

Will use the cost of living crisis as an excuse if needed. 

• Like 2

Apparently we're not having a Christmas party this year as we just didn't book anything early enough. Yeah right. 

Instead they're shovelling a bit of money at each team to pay towards the team meal we always go for anyway in addition to the main Christmas party. 

I love a good Christmas Party 😔

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Apparently we're not having a Christmas party this year as we just didn't book anything early enough. Yeah right. 

Instead they're shovelling a bit of money at each team to pay towards the team meal we always go for anyway in addition to the main Christmas party. 

We aint having one either. Lame times 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

We're having ours in the JQ. First proper one since 2019. I'm on leave on the day of the party and the day after, so all good! 

On 17/11/2022 at 18:07, useless said:

Stollen

I think my favorite of all the Christmas cakes, I first tried it when dad bought some from Aldi and I haven't looked back since, I try and get some every year.

Christmas Cake

I've always liked this, as a child an auntie used to make some and bring it over in a biscuit tin, another one that I like to have every year, although usually it's in the form of one of those Iced Christmas Loaf things, but I think pretty much the same thing.

Mince Pies

Yet another that I usually have every year, last Christmas I tried to be clever and bought some cheaper Mince Pies initially thinking I'll get the luxury ones when after Christmas Day when they're on sale but they must have sold out as they were all out and was silly as they weren't expensive to begin with, the cheaper ones aren't bad anyway.

Christmas Pudding

I don't often have this but don't mind it.

Yule Log

Another that I rarely have but that I like.

Dundee Cake

I found some of this in a biscuit tin, might have been a Roses late one night in the kitchen, truth be told probably had been there a long time, but tasted alright to me.

Viennetta beats them all though doesnt it

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1