Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Look i would love poch here. But you think poch would come to a club who sacks their manager after ONE league game? Makes us look like laughing stocks

If Poch is fine with it and would come here, I honestly wouldn't care how we'd be perceived by others. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lexi you don't sack a manager after one game in a season. I cant support that.

He needs a minimum 6-8 games

Well after Everton we have Palace / West Ham / Arsenal / Man City / Leicester.

Bournemouth are the shittest team in the division on paper and it's not exactly going to get easier is it. 

Our last two managers have come from Walsall and Rangers. We haven't finished in the top half in the prem in over a decade. 

Why the hell would Poch come here? 

If there was any talk of him looking to return to the prem, they'd be so many other clubs jumping at the chance. 

Edited by DCJonah

13 minutes ago, messi11 said:

So you support the sacking of Gerrard after 5 more games then! We're glad for your approval. 

Better one game than your proposing and i said minimum you have decided you want him sacked after one league game!

Edited by Demitri_C

Just now, DCJonah said:

Our last two managers gave come from Walsall and Rangers. We haven't finished in the top half in the prem in over a decade. 

Why the hell would Poch come here? 

If there was any talk of him looking to return to the prem, they'd be so many other clubs jumping at the chance. 

Well Ancelotti went to Everton etc. It can happen. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It can but its a massive long shot. I don't think he'd be interested and I think Newcastle would easily attract him over us. 

I think people overstate Newcastle these days.

But yes I don't believe Poch would come here (or to Newcastle).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Better one game than your proposing and i said minimum you have decided you want him sacked after one league game!

To be honest I’d take being called small time and getting a better manager in now than us losing another 5 and Gerrard then going.

I guess the question to ask is whether we show any signs of improvement under Gerrard and whether there’s anything to suggest he’ll get it right here. I’d argue the answer to both of those appears to be no.

He’ll get more time but if we perform similarly against Everton on Saturday then I’d be asking serious questions. We’re throwing money at a guy who at this moment in time (and for most of his time at the club in reality) is unable to put a team out in anything that remotely resembles a system.

If he wants more players I’m not sure what he’s after to make these tactics work. Under Smith we looked like a team with a plan and almost every signing made was done with this plan in mind. Under Gerrard we spend a load of money on fancy players and then he seemingly puts all of their names in a hat and picks 11 out and hopes for the best.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It can but its a massive long shot. I don't think he'd be interested and I think Newcastle would easily attract him over us. 

Nah - if he wouldn't come to us, there's no way he'd go there. We're ahead of them development-wise and are no poorer in real terms.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Nah - if he wouldn't come to us, there's no way he'd go there. We're ahead of them development-wise and are no poorer in real terms.

Of course he would go to Newcastle, money talks, at least they managed to win today... I expect them to finish above us as well, the knifes would be out on here after the 2nd loss! 

22 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Sacking a manager is always just half of the equation. And the more complicated part is the replacement.

Purslow picking the replacement is the scary part for me. It would most likely be another English manager, a well known ex-player and preferrably with some Liverpool connections.

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Purslow picking the replacement is the scary part for me. It would most likely be another English manager, a well known ex-player and preferrably with some Liverpool connections.

Based on what other than a hunch?

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

Will Purslow fall on his sword for this appointment or will he admit he made a mistake and act before it's too late? If we give Gerrard even more money now to spend what happens when he gets the sack and the new manager doesn't fancy those players and we end up trying to shift another bunch of dead wood all over again. The 3 year sack and replace cycle begins again doesn't it . Are the player's bought in by the Gerrard pull realising that he's not actually all that good as a manager tactically and can't set a team up to maximise it's strength and hide it's weakness?

Genuinely I don't know what they should do. I'm tempted to cut off the spending and make him work with what he has now. If he c

It's about time we hire a manager who gets the best out of the players in front of him, not a "coach" who has to hand-pick players.

I’m not a Gerrard optimist, but I’m also not in favour of sacking managers after brief runs of results. I’d give him until January to prove he knows what he’s doing, and then if we’re struggling we have a proper look.

Just now, KentVillan said:

I’m not a Gerrard optimist, but I’m also not in favour of sacking managers after brief runs of results. I’d give him until January to prove he knows what he’s doing, and then if we’re struggling we have a proper look.

World Cup break for me. It presents an unique situation to make changes if needed.

Think Poch is a pipe dream (never wrong to dream, sometimes they come true) but there are names out there that are gettable.

I'm pretty convinced by now that it will not work out as we hope under Gerrard but I don't think the club is at that opinion yet and I don't think we will act on it anytime soon regardless.

IF they do feel it's time to act I rather they do it during the WC break than wait until Jan. 

20 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I’d like Rodgers. Dunno would be could. Leicester are just plodding along - hard to know where their ambition is at. 

I think it’s one of those situations where it would be a win for Villa, for Rodgers and for Leicester - because I think it’s run its course there a bit.

• Like 2