Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We last finished above Spurs in 2008-09 season so they've been miles infront of us for a very long time now.

He took them from finishing 6th/7th to CL regulars so from where we are that's the type of step up we need, manager who you'd be confident could get us in the mix for 7th.

I guess Nuno could be considered aswell but we'd be even more boring to watch than we are now.

It's Levy that's sorted Spurs out and that's the area where our problem is, not with the managers, it's who's picking them. 

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

It's Levy that's sorted Spurs out and that's the area where our problem is, not with the managers, it's who's picking them. 

Purslow signed Smith as well though.

Seems people often forget this.

Easy to point out the bad about everything and sundry at the club when things appear to go wrong.

Whilst forgetting all the good.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Strange that it feels like a total calamity after just one game but I totally understand why.

There's a confluence of things that suggest the manager is over his head and bottling it.

And the performance today was embarrassing. 

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We last finished above Spurs in 2008-09 season so they've been miles infront of us for a very long time now.

He took them from finishing 6th/7th to CL regulars so from where we are that's the type of step up we need, manager who you'd be confident could get us in the mix for 7th.

I guess Nuno could be considered aswell but we'd be even more boring to watch than we are now.

Is this possible? We’d be just as boring but at least the players might actually look like they know what they’re supposed to be doing! 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Purslow signed Smith as well though.

Seems people often forget this.

Easy to point out the bad about everything and sundry at the club when things appear to go wrong.

Whilst forgetting all the good.

Indeed Purslow has got almost all decisions right so far, most likely including sacking Dean, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment over Gerrard.  Nobody is perfect and needs to get something wrong in order to get it right in the future. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Indeed Purslow has got almost all decisions right so far, most likely including sacking Dean, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment over Gerrard.  Nobody is perfect and needs to get something wrong in order to get it right in the future. 

Yeah but the decisions he’s got right has mostly been non-football related. He is after all a banker, not a football expert. A strong director of football should do most of the work when recruiting a manager IMO. 

I think if we pulled the trigger then it would have to be someone who is respected in the game, with a proven pedigree and has done it before in England. Poch fits the bill for me, failing that rodgers would be good and i've always felt he would want the villa job at times but we've always missed the boat with him as we had crap owners back in the day and 0 infrastructure. That side of things is fixed now and I think he would relish this job.

We do need to be more ruthless, look at spurs last year when they got rid of nuno. they were muddling around in the table, 9th place or something i think it was. if that was us we would have kept the manager rather than upgrade just because someone else is available. Sometimes you have to act, spurs didnt mess arround they got rid of nuno, went for conte, who had a clear philosophy and style and managed to secure a top 4 finish.

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think if we pulled the trigger then it would have to be someone who is respected in the game, with a proven pedigree and has done it before in England. Poch fits the bill for me, failing that rodgers would be good and i've always felt he would want the villa job at times but we've always missed the boat with him as we had crap owners back in the day and 0 infrastructure. That side of things is fixed now and I think he would relish this job.

We do need to be more ruthless, look at spurs last year when they got rid of nuno. they were muddling around in the table, 9th place or something i think it was. if that was us we would have kept the manager rather than upgrade just because someone else is available. Sometimes you have to act, spurs didnt mess arround they got rid of nuno, went for conte, who had a clear philosophy and style and managed to secure a top 4 finish.

Spurs was a bit weird because Conte was their first choice, turned them down so they ended up with their 8th choice, then he changed his mind and took over.  Gerrard as far as I can tell the number 1 man with nobody else looked at, so it would be a bigger embarrassment to sack him.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Spurs was a bit weird because Conte was their first choice, turned them down so they ended up with their 8th choice, then he changed his mind and took over.  Gerrard as far as I can tell the number 1 man with nobody else looked at, so it would be a bigger embarrassment to sack him.

Thats what worries me about purslow in a way, i dont want to question his integrity but there is always an element of doubt that he will pull the trigger, especially as he apparently raved to NSWE about Gerrard. However sometimes there is a benefit to your executive team and CEO acting like Levy, in that scenario at spurs levy realised he made the wrong appointment and reacted to remedy it. We need to have people who have conviction in the decisions they take and do whats best for Aston Villa.

I'm sure gerrard would understand, he has been quick to freeze out and move on players he deems surplus to requirements, if the same thing happened to him then im sure he would understand, its football after all. And if he dosen't understand then so what, we have to do whats best for villa

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Lexi you don't sack a manager after one game in a season. I cant support that.

He needs a minimum 6-8 games

The penny aint dropping withyou Demitri is it, it is not one game, its 12 games, we only got 9 points from the last 11 games last season, he should have already been sacked by now. The "got to give him time to turn things around" policy just means another season passes with us ending up in a relegation battle, and no class managers available.

The penny aint dropping withyou Demitri is it, it is not one game, its 12 games, we only got 9 points from the last 11 games last season, he should have already been sacked by now. The "got to give him time to turn things around" policy just means another season passes with us ending up in a relegation battle, and no class managers available.

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I still don’t think sacking Smith at that specific point was the right decision tbh.

He hadn’t lost the dressing room, and would likely have turned things around in much the same way Gerrard did. Would he have signed Coutinho? No. But other players would have performed better under him, and he had more of a long term outlook on the club and the youth structure.

The smart move imo was to wait until the summer, and then if things were still bad, we could have had a wider choice of replacements to choose from.

Irrelevant now, because what’s done is done, but I don’t like this idea that Smith “had to go” and I will always defend him. That doesn’t mean I think he should have managed the club forever. Purslow isn’t an idiot, so I think eventually we’ll bring in a proven top flight manager who can help us push for Europe.

I have a lot of sympathy for that.  Rather aptly I think it was the dropping of Mings and getting thumped in that first match that did for Dean, not so much putting blame on Tyrone, it's just such a huge call that when it goes tits up it reflects really badly on the manager.  He did at least improve players and as far as I could see tried his hardest to get as much out of each player he could rather than shrug his shoulders and wait till he could buy a replacement.  Ultimately I just want a manager who wants to improve the individual players rather than label them as not being winners, whatever that means.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I have a lot of sympathy for that.  Rather aptly I think it was the dropping of Mings and getting thumped in that first match that did for Dean, not so much putting blame on Tyrone, it's just such a huge call that when it goes tits up it reflects really badly on the manager.  He did at least improve players and as far as I could see tried his hardest to get as much out of each player he could rather than shrug his shoulders and wait till he could buy a replacement.  Ultimately I just want a manager who wants to improve the individual players rather than label them as not being winners, whatever that means.

Yeah got no problem with that view at all.

There was a hardcore of Smith Out fans who pissed me off, but I also understand things weren’t good enough, and a lot of reasonable fans were ready for a change.

I’m also willing to give Gerrard some time, because I hate changing managers too often… but he urgently needs to put together a string of performances that justify all the big calls he’s made. It’s not enough to just sign quality players.

And 100% agree with you about this tactic of labelling players as having wrong attitude. Great when it works, but when you keep underperforming it just makes you look out of your depth.

8 minutes ago, Podster said:

Disagree with this. Not a big Gerrard fan, but @Demitri_Cis right, you cannot be sacking managers because you lost one game at the start of a season.

• Like 2