Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

23 minutes ago, useless said:

If he does get eventually get the sack though, his replacement needs to be an elite manager, as close to a guarantee of being a success with us as possible, a name that people might imagine we wouldn't be able to attract, similar to when we appointed O'Neill, if we keep appointing managers just because they've done well at lesser clubs in the hope that at a club with more resources they willl do better, then we will just keep going around and around in circles.

I don't know if we could get him specifically but if not Pochettino then would have to be some other brilliant manager of a similar calibre.

I just don’t think we could attract an elite manager though. I would love Poch. He is really class but I just can’t see him coming. I think we could maybe get Rogers as things aren’t looking great at Leicester and I think he would be great but for now let’s get behind our incumbent. What’s the worst that could happen?

5 minutes ago, Villarcana said:

But he seems tactically stubborn like he wants to invent a new style of play and win that way only

That is fascinating to me because I see no evidence he wants to invent any style of play!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

What’s the worst that could happen?

Relegation, based on the last 20 or so games.

Edit: and to say, I am not some anti-Gerrard poster - I am desperate for him to turn this around. I just want to see something to give us some hope! He now has as good a collection of players as we have had in a very long time… he has to do something with them.

Edited by Adam2003

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I just don’t think we could attract an elite manager though. I would love Poch. He is really class but I just can’t see him coming. I think we could maybe get Rogers as things aren’t looking great at Leicester and I think he would be great but for now let’s get behind our incumbent. What’s the worst that could happen?

We've started to attract elite players. O.k Coutinho was abysmal today but he'll probably be starting for Brazil at world cup, Digne may start for France aswell and then you have likes of Kamara and Carlos leaving CL clubs to sign for us.

I actually think Pochettino would fancy the project we'd offer him if he was approached. It's not like he inherited some world class squad at Spurs btw when he turned up there in summer 2014, Kane was a complete unknown at that point and guys like Son and Dele were a year off signing and he had to spend 12 months rooting out the troublemakers like Adebayor.

Could argue this squad has better potential than what he had straight away at Spurs especially with the youth we have coming through.

Pochettino would consider us imo, it's similar brief to Spurs in get us into europe most seasons and try to win us a cup. Get close to that and he'd have Holte end feeding off him.

• Like 1

Honestly. People saying 'this thread already'. I started to have REALLY serious concerns before the Newcastle game when Howe said in the presser basically 'we know exactly how they're going to play', and we did, and they won without barely getting out of 2nd gear. Since then we've been playing the same way every game 

• Like 2

Considering how our squad is we could probably look at Jorge Sampaioli.

No idea how his English is but he's not the only one who doesn't master the language.

Gerrard is not going anywhere thou

• Like 2

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

I wonder if the reason that Carney decided not to sign for us was because of Gerrard and the direction he thought he was taking Villa....

Man stop it.

I've agreed that today was garbage and worrying, however I'm not just going to be entertaining any sort of nonsense due to the same.

Chukwuemeka left because he wanted a tonne of money and claims he's a Chelsea fan.

The contract was offered before Gerrard was even manager ffs.

The club handled this situation correctly.

Either way, why the hell should a kid who has done nothing at senior level have any bearing on what " direction " we are going in, unless they are Mbappe , Ronaldo or Messi in their prime level

What about the other youngsters and high profile seniors we've signed? 🤦🏿‍♂️

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, picicata said:

Even you must have some alarm bells ringing concerning some of the decisions that are being made? 

Yeah it could be the side are not well coached and it's the beginning of a bad run. It could also be the early goal away from home just rattled us and we lost composure.

We'll only know by end of the month really.

Konsa however should not be starting football matches. 4th choice in like 99% of Villa fans views. Bizzare selection 

• Like 2

See how the next two games and performances are. If we don’t improve a lot then get Poch in. Waiting any longer with no improvement would be a waste.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daft said:

Personally, I am not sure managers like Poccetino are even an option for us even if Gerrard goes by himself. 

People talk about Pochettino like he’s Pep Guardiola or something - I know his profile has obviously grown over the years but other than  PSG he’s never taken over a club in as good a position as Villa has he? Or won a trophy outside of PSG? I remember Spurs were struggling when he came in (but could be wrong). He might hang on assuming he could get a big job when one comes up but actually throw a few million in salary at him and the chance to manage again in the PL and I wouldn’t be surprised… it wouldn’t be a coup on the level of Everton/Ancelotti.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, regular_john said:

I am really not a fan of Gerrard but, even for me, this is a bit much after one game!

But it's not after 1 game is it, he was clueless for the last part of last season.

1 hour ago, useless said:

if we keep appointing managers just because they've done well at lesser clubs in the hope that at a club with more resources they willl do better, then we will just keep going around and around in circles.

I don't know if we could get him specifically but if not Pochettino then would have to be some other brilliant manager of a similar calibre.

Undermined your own point here. Pochettino earned his reputation working wonders at 'lesser clubs', like most successful managers you could possibly think of, with the exception of Pep Guardiola and perhaps even Gerrard. Hiring Gerrard compounded the error in sacking Dean Smith.