Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, You've chosen a good day for it ( The post I mean)

because you are not likely to get many arguing after that debacle.

but fortunately seasons don't consist of one game.....so we will wait and see, if he has it in him to reverse that offering.....If not, I guess the club will act accordingly.

I guess Dean could still come back, as he has hardly cemented legend status at Norwich has he.?

Didnt you bash Smith for losing games but not with millions the board gave him

When will you admit Gerrard is out of his depth or will your ego not let you since Deano was shit for you compared to West Brom Brucey

• Like 1

We won't get Poch. 

We might get Rodgers. 

The club will have to give SG at least the next 5-6 matches so we don't look like reactionary clarts. 

But I'm struggling to see where the progress will come from.  We had a bit of success in his honeymoon period playing a tight, combative midfield with Nakamba deep. Since Marvellous got injured it has largely been a shitshow.     His go to guy Phil C is largely anonymous away from home and we're not the sort of side who can cope with passengers. 

He's now created a rod for his own back with the Tyrone situation. 

A mess. 

• Like 2

Poch I can't see why he wouldn't come if he was still jobless and we needed a manager .None of the top UK jobs are available so why wouldn't be come to us with rich owners and no doubt a good salary .Wouldn't it be better to be doing a good job somewhere of one of the so called big jobs came up .If that means we are a stepping stone so be it because if a manager of us is doing well enough to be poached it means we are winning games !! 

Rodgers probably more likely especially given Leicester seemingly are broke .

Everton is must win for SG imo but to be honest as a villa fan since 1990 I've seen enough times when the writings on the wall and I don't see SG here much longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

As much as I’d love Pochettino to be our manager, I think Brendan Rodgers is the manager we should be looking at next. He’d at least have us playing good football and get the most out of a squad that includes Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Watkins.

This is comfortably a top half team under Rodgers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HolteExile said:

He's now created a rod for his own back with the Tyrone situation. 

When people talk about experience in managers it isn’t just some acquired knowledge of tactics they get over time… it’s them having learned how to handle things like this in a way that don’t cause them long-term headaches… some day in his career, Gerrard will benefit from these mistakes made with Villa. We would just be better not being the guinea pig as a supposed big club. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Do managers really care about stuff like that? He came in at Southampton to replace Adkins when he'd just got them two promotions in two years and everyone was saying what a disgrace it was.

Conte was happy replacing Nuno at Spurs last season who was there for about 10 games.

Gerrard isn't getting sacked imminently but he isn't lasting very long if we don't start winning soon, think that's pretty clear as it would be much worse form than Smith considering we had 10 points from our first 6 games last season.

You have given two examples that were NOT one league game!!

5 hours ago, Podster said:

So, because we made the mistake of not sacking him after his dismal management at the end of last season, we have to do the gentlemenly thing and let him carry on screwing up this season, great plan.

Im just glad your not in purslows seat you would be worse than Nottingham forest owner sacking managers every week. You would have to sell your car, house and everything you own for all the compensation you would be paying.

He loses thsi week then beats Everton enough to sack him?? 

Shit result yesterday we can all see that but even with last seasons results you dont sack your manager after ONE league game into the season. Maybe lange should get sacked and lampard then on your thinking

The real issue here is that when you see us play under Gerrard we seem to have no idea what we are doing as a team. The game yesterday was just a continuation from last season.

There seems to be no tactics, pattern of play or plan A, B or C, and that is down to the manager

I think people get too sneery about certain coaches like Howe, Marsch etc. Folk were taking the piss out of teams appointing them but at least they are actual coaches with a reputation in the game for being able to set a team up properly. Not trying to be wise after the fact but outside of Everton I guess I'm not sure off the top of my head if there's a single other side in the league whose manager/head coach I wouldn't rather have.

My main concern without trying to get too carried away after one game is that it doesn't get any easier from here. After Everton we've got Palace away, followed by West Ham, Arsenal away and City. It could get ugly quite swiftly if things don't change.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

When people talk about experience in managers it isn’t just some acquired knowledge of tactics they get over time… it’s them having learned how to handle things like this in a way that don’t cause them long-term headaches… some day in his career, Gerrard will benefit from these mistakes made with Villa. We would just be better not being the guinea pig as a supposed big club. 

I don't think this constitutes a simple mistake. The way Gerrard has conducted himself is, from the outside, wholly unprofessional. By comparison the way Tyrone has been wholly professional. I don't think that this is something that you can put down to lack of experience, it's been vindictive and thin skinned, suggesting that Gerrard's character isn't right for a role managing people in the manner you'd expect from a Head Coach. He doesn't seem to be treating people with respect or dignity, that's a rapid fire way to lose the support of your team. To get away with being this kind of character you have to be outstanding at everything else, even then it puts a shelf life on things (see Mourinho). 

Genuinely believe the club would be better off with Critchley or Beale as manager. They seem to be more collegiate than Gerrard and apparently are more useful in the training field. But we should go for a Rogers/Pochettino/Gallardo/Sampaoli. 

Always think back to Terry's story about him wanting to get into a player whose training pitch performances had dropped, he did so and when he went back to Dean, he asked whether he'd checked in on him and what was going on in his life, when JT went back and checked this... Turned out he had some personal issues and they helped to resolve, happy player, improved performance. Treating people as valued colleagues and human beings shouldn't be a learned behaviour, empathy is an important part of leadership. 

Edited by Dale
More flesh!
  • Like 1

Ange Postecoglou.

Argued for him before on these boards - but he's out of reach now, sadly.

Would love Pochettino - but that ain't happening, either.

One thing is definitely the case: I don't want a premier league "name". Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Solksjaer, Henry and the like - no thank you. Lets get a manager in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You need both.  The Head or manager like a Gerrard who attracts players, makes the big calls, decides overall strategy and tactics, works with the transfer team on who they want.

Then a Beale or Critchley who does the detail and coaching.

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sacking him in the first few weeks is almost an admission that it was a mistake to give him the summer, imo. I'll be surprised if he's here by the world cup though

It was. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Shit result yesterday we can all see that but even with last seasons results you dont sack your manager after ONE league game into the season. Maybe lange should get sacked and lampard then on your thinking

Let’s not look at 1 game in isolation.  Let’s look at 1/3 of a season, the last 13 games. 2 wins in 13 games.

Have we progressed in those 13 games?  Are we getting tactically better?  Do we seem like an unlucky team or just a clueless one?