Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

You have to wonder what is going on in the dressing room, for it to be so inept on the pitch.

I would take Rodger’s or Pochettino.  The former is a good coach, the latter would have respect.

Leftfield would be Steve Cooper, the guy builds good teams who play decent football

Edited by macandally

What an embarrassing bunch of over reacting individuals some of our fans are. Get a grip. This thread is astonishing……….By the way. Poch would never come here in a million years!

Support your team or find something else to do. It’s the first game of the season. We were poor. It happens. We’ll be better next time (hopefully!)

• Like 1

Id drop Gerrard today if Poch was interested, would be a huge statement I think he’d get such a tune out our squad with his high-pressing attacking style.

I personally read very little into PSG manger performances as it’s more of a babysitting job imo.

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends if people just want to waste another season finishing 12th-14th.

We just lost, and not in an unlucky fashion, to the team most likely to finish bottom of the table.

14th would be miraculous!

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Always seems to be the case that the posts complaining about over-reactors are the most hysterical.

Gerrard is currently at 2 wins in the last 12 Premier League games, 9 points in 12 this is relegation form.

“Supporting the team” can also include the discussion of cutting underperforming parts, manager or players, it is not limited to happy clapping.

My post is not hysterical in the slightest and I will never be a happy clapper. I do however recognise that we had two players making their PL debuts today, it’s only the first game of the season and we are not yet at the close of the transfer window. It’s not time to lose our composure after an admittedly poor afternoon. If things are no better in 15 games time then let’s start the conversation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone who has an actual coherent plan and style and plays the best players in their best positions. 

Also someone who doesn’t look at the human sausage that is McGinn and thinks “yep he’s my captain and an undroppable 90 minute man”

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

We just lost, and not in an unlucky fashion, to the team most likely to finish bottom of the table.

14th would be miraculous!

Same as last season though with Watford pretty much finishing bottom. We roused ourselves to be 10th-11th by mid March so as it stands it's just one game.

Not beating Everton though with convincing performance is going to put Gerrard under heaps of pressure though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Agree, I think Poch needs a job to get him back on track. We’ve had so many failures as manager but I think that’s because they weren’t qualified. We finally need to appoint a capable manager and I still rate Poch very highly. He’d get us playing high press football on the front foot. None of this boring, slow, predictable and ponderous rubbish we’re seeing now. 

I reckon Newcastle would go for him eventually but Howe is doing very well there. United have just appointed Ten Hag so won’t be looking for a while. 

He’s definitely worth an approach and we need to act. Gerrard won’t take us anywhere, he hasn’t improved us one bit despite bringing in the players he has.

Howe signed a new deal yesterday so he's safe for this season unless Newcastle are bottom 6 but today's win suggest they'll be much higher.

Rodgers may become available at some point this season so that depends on timing. I rate Rodgers but Pochettinho has a higher ceiling.

Could always appoint Bielsa I guess for the popcorn debates....😍

Just now, LondonLax said:

We’ll wait until November and take stock then. 

We almost certainly will, and to be fair, that’s probably sensible and what most clubs would do. However, today was extremely worrying in its lack of any hint of a gameplan and some completely baffling personel decisions, coupled with an overall lack of effort and intensity. I honestly can’t remember many worse performances. 

Which is why, if offered the choice, I’d love to replace Gerrard with Brendan Rodgers. Rodgers may be a pompous David Brentian blowhard, but he’s a good coach and has a clear idea of how he wants his teams to play and how he can get them to play like he wants. 

• Like 2

He's on a worse run than Smith was when he was sacked.

But he will be given a longer leash. 

I hope he figures it out quick.

If we still look like this in 6 weeks and are dropping more points to worse teams, he should be sacked.

But he will probably get until mid October.

If we still look lost, I hope Pochettino is the guy.

• Like 1

I agree, you are right. And therein lies the definition of slow societal progress. It's fair to give your man a chance over a period of time, but most of them fail. It's tiring. Life (as an Aston Villa fan) is **** exhausting. He is isn't worth the time or effort.

• Like 1