January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Great window all up.

Trimmed the deadwood for the first time in ages 
Implemented a tight-knit squad of 18-19 players and by doing so seem to have removed the toxicity of Gerrard's time here
Bought a quality and rapid left-back
Got 15m back for a 30 year old who wasn't starting regularly
Kept all our really good players 
Made a sensible loan recall

Shipping out Olsen and replacing him would have been the only difference for me. 

This is a good window as long as we do make those needed quality squad additions in the summer. The current players need regular starts now to see if they really are up to where we want to go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

-----------------------Olsen-----------------------

Cash-----Chambers----Carlos----Digne

---------Dendoncker-----McGinn------------

Traore-----------Coutinho---------K Young

------------------------Duran------------------------

It's sort of okay, but thin.

Those highlighted bold give me greatest concern, but in reality, McGinn doesn't work in a double pivot, Dendoncker is as likely to concede a penalty as actually cut out a through ball, and Chambers seems to have forgotten how to play football since he was dropped by Gerrard after playing well.

That team gets relegated from the Premier league, and it is severely limited in its capabilities to change a game.

Traoré will help in some scenarios where we can't break a team down, McGinn might offer an alternative to Ramsey or Buendia in some situations, but cant see it being game changing, and Digne might be useful for a free kick. Duran is an unknown and may actually turn out to be inspired, but I have my doubts.

I imagine Carlos becomes Konsa at some point, but it's really the only substitute we have where the sub isn't worse than the player they're replacing.

The positive slant is that the first 11 are on fire at the moment,  and IF we don't get any injuries,  then there are 3 or 4 very capable players on that bench we can bring in that don't really weaken us in isolation. So get lucky with injuries and we'll be finishing top half.

• Like 1

I'm not bedwetting over the transfer window but it does feel a bit like an opportunity missed.

We're on a good run, there's a spark in our team (and fan base) and we've got ourselves in to an outside shot of 7th. So to go in to February very marginally worse as a squad does feel slightly disappointing. 

However, for the bigger picture and definitely for next season, we have cleared the decks and got some good money in without blowing our budget on overpriced panic/short term signings.

Just have to feel we've kind of 'declared' this season and have moved on and started to prep for 23/24. It does put a lot of pressure on a successful summer window now though, got to be looking at fairly significant investment if we are serious about challenging for European spots in the future.

• Like 4

A bit of a letdown but january windows invariably are. The only reason we recalled Traore is because we couldnt get our target(s). I have faith in Emery though so still think we will have a good second half of the season

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

We have been here before mate, it's like de ja vu. We can have our opinions as long as we know they are wrong.

And as long as we know they are not really actually valid opinions, just moaning, crazy and nonsense.  

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

When Smith got Sacked and Gerrard came in. Some moaning on here never talked about Europe. When we had a strong January window, they didnt talk about Europe. 

Now those same few posters are disappointed and annoyed that we might not qualify for Europe. 

You have to laugh. 

Ok why don't you name those posters and show their posts to back up this up?   

31 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm not bedwetting over the transfer window but it does feel a bit like an opportunity missed.

We're on a good run, there's a spark in our team (and fan base) and we've got ourselves in to an outside shot of 7th. So to go in to February very marginally worse as a squad does feel slightly disappointing. 

However, for the bigger picture and definitely for next season, we have cleared the decks and got some good money in without blowing our budget on overpriced panic/short term signings.

Just have to feel we've kind of 'declared' this season and have moved on and started to prep for 23/24. It does put a lot of pressure on a successful summer window now though, got to be looking at fairly significant investment if we are serious about challenging for European spots in the future.

I don't necessarily know marginally worse as a squad if we assume Diego Carlos is back before March. Traore is an acceptable replacement for Ings and provides cover for our wings. Moreno can play LB or LM in Buendias role if we get desperate for midfielders.

Yes we moved on Nakamba and Sanson with no replacement but they've played a combined 10 minutes this year in the prem. Chambers and Dendoncker are our back up DMs. And as much I'd prefer Sanson over mcginn, obviously mcginn is our backup for Ramsey at this point. If we don't play moreno or cash in a further forward role and swap ramsey/Buendias sides. 

I think it's a disappointing one as the manager identified specific positions that he felt needed addressing and that hasn't happened. It's all well and good citing second choice XIs and saying there's cover in terms of numbers, but ultimately the margins are fine at this level and the balance of your team/profile of player matters as much as just general ability. Hence why he felt a signing like Moreno was necessary, not because we were short at left back but because we were short on what a player such as him can bring to the side.

I do look at even some of the loan deals floating around like Tete and wonder if even one of those could have been managed to tide things over until the summer, but I believe they tried to get the "right" players in and if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. No point in signing players for the sake of it and we're in a kind of no man's land in mid table where we're not likely to be in danger of relegation nor trouble many teams above so it can afford to wait until the summer, but a bit of a shame nonetheless. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I think it's a disappointing one as the manager identified specific positions that he felt needed addressing and that hasn't happened. It's all well and good citing second choice XIs and saying there's cover in terms of numbers, but ultimately the margins are fine at this level and the balance of your team/profile of player matters as much as just general ability. Hence why he felt a signing like Moreno was necessary, not because we were short at left back but because we were short on what a player such as him can bring to the side.

I do look at even some of the loan deals floating around like Tete and wonder if even one of those could have been managed to tide things over until the summer, but I believe they tried to get the "right" players in and if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen. No point in signing players for the sake of it and we're in a kind of no man's land in mid table where we're not likely to be in danger of relegation nor trouble many teams above so it can afford to wait until the summer, but a bit of a shame nonetheless. 

Well we brought back up Traore to cover the need. I think that's perfectly acceptable in January if we couldn't bring in any of our preferred targets. None of the wingers we were linked with were particularly inspirational either. Maybe Williams but his stats aren't amazing. Dembele would be a good signing but we can get a look at Duran and have Traore cover if we really need it. 

• Like 1

Depends what you're looking for as a fan. Worth noting that plenty of the outgoings were themselves originally January signings - showing that the January window is a real balancing act in and of itself.

I'm personally fine about it all, in Emery we trust.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I largely agree.

No chance Liverpool and Chelsea will be this poor next season.

That said we can still finish somewhere like 9th as I think with what we've currently got we can be above Brentford and Fulham and run Brighton close. Just don't see us going on a decent run if we get a few injuries like earlier on in the season.

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Well Chelsea have spent £500m in less than a.year.

Remind me why are we bothering to comply to ffp again?

Check out my post in their off topic.  They're costing themselves over £150m a year in regards to FFP from their signings just this season. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Thanks 1