January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Yep as Emery indicated that Duran was a club signing, not his and he’s only signed one of his targets in Moreno and you could sense Emery’s frustration….

We can't not secure our targets in the summer, because that would almost certainly signal the beginning of the end of this beautiful Emery revolution. There's only so much disappointment a top coach will put up with.

I have no doubt we will be going big and hard for exactly that reason, but other clubs knowing it as well, does rather set us up for more potential frustration because our top brass think the prices are too high!

Guaranteed hot summer 🌞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Come on. Is this now going to be the narrative to justify the complaining? 

Your manager was frustrated but you’re happy, a bit of disconnect.  

I don’t need a justification for my feelings on the window but it’s interesting that the manager seems the same way but you’re happy…surely we trust in Emery, and he’s frustrated by the window.  

We can still be delighted and upbeat about the Villa overall but be frustrated about parts without the world falling over.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John said:

Not quite as busy as we had hoped for was it? We identified our targets, but they were mostly not available during this window (to my knowledge none of them have gone elsewhere) and we were not prepared to overpay considerably to make something happen before the summer. We have brought in two players that we identified and I very much like the look of the one that has already had the opportunity to play for us.

UE and the club will move again for those targets in the next window, we do need to make those signings happen then. We didn't feel any need to revert to Plan C or D this time for short term cover and I'm glad we still have the likes of Digne, as well as Coutinho available for at least the run in to this season. We haven't sold any of our regular starters and clubs perhaps are beginning to accept that we're not a selling club from which they can prise the likes of Matty and Douglas, away from. I would have kept Ings myself, although I can see the financial reasoning behind the decision and appreciate that we would have had a replacement in mind. 

Fans, players and coaching staff, can now concentrate on aiming to finish as high in the table as is possible this season, until the next transfer window opens to a new fanfare that will herald a glut of incoming high quality players.  

Superb take, clearly expressed. We can close the thread now

• Thanks 1

For me it was a very disappointing window. We are actually weaker than before the window opened. We sold our top scorer and are left with a forward who doesn't score enough and a young lad who has no idea what he is letting himself in for in Premiership football. This is a missed opportunity, with only being three points off the European places to really push on, and make no mistake it is going to be a lot harder next season when the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea have strengthened their squads yet again. I keep on hearing this narrative from the club about European football and yet it never materialises. I understand that you cannot force players to come, and it is no good just wasting money on fringe players, but sometimes you have to put your money where your mouth is and make a statement. So hopefully we can go relatively injury free from now to the end of the season. I trust Emery to get the best out of the squad available and hopefully the likes of Bert can dazzle defences with his dancing feet. We go again, another wasted opportunity, another season of waste. Roll on 23-24 season.

Emery has done well so far with what he has, so I trust this to continue. I’m happy to look at the squad in the summer and make changes then - gives players more time to bed in, and prices may be lower.

Its all gravy.

• Like 3

Happy with the incomings and outgoings. Happy we didn't panic buy. Happy with our coaching staff and the squad balance for the first time in 4/5 years. Real chance to finish top 10 for the first time in what feels like forever. Good time to be a Villa fan. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

They can't all be winners and sometimes we've just got to consider the bigger picture!

Thats the key dirk if there is a impressive summer window then its not a problem.  But the fans will be expecting money spent come the summer if not fans will be getting frustrated

I think we need to line up someone else instead of punning all our hopes on Guendouzi. If Marseille get Champions League qualification why would he want to leave them? Also, his price will probably be driven up and others will be in for him too. 

I'm not saying we should give up totally on him but, I do think we need to have our alternatives planned. 

Chelsea and Arsenal aside, not many other clubs have done a lot of deals. 

I don't think we will be in a scrap for survival but will maybe drop down the table a little, especially if we get injuries to the likes of Martinez, Kamara or Watkins. 

Hopefully, we set our sights high and hit our targets early in the summer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I just hope we dont end up finoshing 15th and then players just think we are not good enough for them.

Top 10 has to be the aim to sell the project

And there is the rub, to attract the kind of players that will get you the fabled European football you have to look like you can achieve that and you have to pay a lot of money in wages and transfer fees. So if our remaining fixtures are a struggle and we finish 14th then is is going to be so much harder and cost more to attract those players.

• Like 3

I like it.

All signings from now on (expect youth prospects and no2 goalkeeper) should be to strengthen the 1st 11. Moving the existing players to the bench.

No more short term loans and buying squad fillers on big contracts to never play, create the proper pathway for the youth players to start seeing some first team minutes. If they prove not good enough they have some premier league experience that will add to their sell on value and help with FFP.

This is what we have all been crying out for for years.

53 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep as Emery indicated that Duran was a club signing, not his and he’s only signed one of his targets in Moreno and you could sense Emery’s frustration….

When did Emery indicate this?

• Like 1

I’m happy with the business done. We’ve brought a LB that gives our attacking play a new dimension, and still have Digne. We’ve got a highly rated youngster that should have the chance to speed up his development now we’ve sold Ings. He’ll get more sub appearances and maybe a start towards the end, Watkins rarely misses a game and I back him to find some form as Emery’s style takes hold. 

We’ve reduced our wage bill significantly and cleared the way for a strong summer. 

We’ve got good players, they’re capable of a successful second half of the season. Emery will get the best from them, I’ve no doubt about that. He’ll see who can cut it and where he wants to build, and he’ll be backed 100% by the club to do that. 

50 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I have no doubt we will be going big and hard for exactly that reason, but other clubs knowing it as well, does rather set us up for more potential frustration because our top brass think the prices are too high!

Guaranteed hot summer 🌞

FCD9C1CF-64F7-4939-B7FF-59426F1E80D1.jpeg

• Like 1

So apart from Chelsea, all these people predicting that due to this window, our owners don't want to spend money and Emery isn't being backed and we can't pull players etc etc, name me the other teams in the PL who just went and bought 4-5 players, spent loads of dosh and justifies the hysteria....

Gordon to newcastle??

Forest & Bournemouth signing a couple of players each?

Spurs signing a right back?

Wow, we seriously got left behind, I'll be surprised if we stay up and Emery doesn't leave. Seeing as we're the only team in mid table who aspires for europe, it's obviously only us who has no ambition and can't find players in a window that is notoriously inflated price wise and when most players don't want to leave unless they have problems with their club, or the the selling club doesn't want to let them go AS THEY ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A SEASON.

We are light up front, but Bertie coming back gives us options and both Bailey and Bertie can play striker.

What if this season the new manager doesn't see a european push and he wants to set the foundations for success. Would that not seem sensible, seeing as he's only been here a handful of games? 

But please carry on, I do enjoy a giggle while I'm working....

• Like 1