January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

24 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I always find it difficult to judge a transfer window, mainly because the proof of the pudding is in the eating. What happens between now and the next window will give us some indication, but even then, transfers have a much longer lifespan than that.

I think the squad needed trimming, we had too many sitting on a wage not really contributing anything. I also think that a slightly smaller squad will suit Emery at the moment, he's spending a lot of time educating the players and it's much easier to teach a smaller class than a large one. By and large the players that have gone were not getting any minutes, and that's during a first half of the season where we've been far from injury free, there's no point having so many players around 'just in case' there's an injury crisis. The Ings sale made a whole lot of financial sense, he was a savvy operator on the pitch and played a role in the squad, but I don't think it's quite as big a loss as some are making out, let's see what Duran gives us between now and the end of the season and pass judgment then. 

I can understand the frustration of some who wanted a statement signing, or to show more ambition to push on for a European place, but it's not really that simple. The January window is for those who are desperate and for the bigger clubs who shop in their own 'Champions League' transfer market that we are not privy to just yet. I'm not saying it's impossible to get the quality we are looking for in January, just that you have to first find a club willing to lose a quality player mid-season, and then you'll likely have to pay a premium for that privilege. If a quality player is readily available at a sensible fee (like Trossard) you have to question why and take that in to consideration.

Also, even if we signed 2 or 3 more players to improve the team, there's no guarantee that they will instantly improve the team enough to make it in to Europe, many players take time to settle and adjust to different systems, and not every transfer works out as expected despite all due diligence being done. There are no guarantees, not everything is black and white.

I imagine Emery probably is a little disappointed we haven't got another player or two in for him to work with, but he's a very intelligent and experienced guy, he knows it's not that simple, he knows that January isn't the ideal time to be shopping for the quality he wants and he will accept it and work with what he's got between now and the end of the season, and he will back himself to get the most out of those players, because that's what good managers do, and make no mistake he is a very good manager. He'll be expecting more in the summer no doubt, and the room we've made on the wage bill in January will certainly help with that.

I don't think I've ever judged a transfer window accurately. If i think it was good, it usually ends up bad, and vice versa. 

My view on this one is very much on the fence, so not sure what to expect now.

Just hope the money we have, the desire some players will have to work with Emery, the world cup winner we own, and a successful end to the season sees us able to get who Emery wants in the summer. 

36 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Lol at Nick getting called out here. He finally pushed it too far.

Me? Called out? I answered, if people aren’t watching the pressers and then people saying the same thing as me.  He literally said the things I claimed and you can see the frustration and then others agree with seeing the frustration both reporting it in media and discussing it on forums then I don’t know what to tell you.  Talk about being blind!

• Like 1

Emery has final say on all transfers, it was he who okayed Duran signing, he said himself that Duran 'can help us', and it was probably he who decided we wouldn't sign anyone yesterday, as he himself stressed at press conferences when asked about it that we will only sign players if they strengthen the team.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yep as Emery indicated that Duran was a club signing, not his and he’s only signed one of his targets in Moreno and you could sense Emery’s frustration….

Where are the quotes from Emery where you could sense his frustration? None.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its not unreasonable to assume that, but its still an assumption. There's no actual evidence of that being the case so you can't just throw it out there to strengthen your argument. Not without further justification or clarifying that what you're saying is nothing more than an assumption. 

People do this all the time(not just Nick), where they'll bundle in shaky assumptions into their argument that get by because no one feels like its worth calling them individually out. He pushed it just a bit too far here.

Oh wow! Considering you got it wrong I guess you owe an apology!

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Me? Called out? I answered, if people aren’t watching the pressers and then people saying the same thing as me.  He literally said the things I claimed and you can see the frustration and then others agree with seeing the frustration both reporting it in media and discussing it on forums then I don’t know what to tell you.  Talk about being blind!

You got a link mate or know where I can find it? I haven’t seen this one. Ta.

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Where are the quotes from Emery where you could sense his frustration? None.

Go back to his presser, are people not watching them??? Even Preece is talking about in the link a few pages back

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

In his presser recently, and the Birmingham Mail Q&A link a few pages back talks about that comment

There is nothing actually from Emery in that Q&A.

Which PC has he stated what you say he has, because I have not seen it?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You got a link mate or know where I can find it? I haven’t seen this one. Ta.

I’m out and about at the moment on my mobile at the moment so haven’t got to hand.  Didn’t realise this was even disputed until I was getting a coffee just and checked my phone.  Link a few pages where Preece discusses. I’m sure the presser will be on the official site to rewatch if you watch to go there

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I’m out and about at the moment on my mobile at the moment so haven’t got to hand.  Didn’t realise this was even disputed until I was getting a coffee just and checked my phone.  Link a few pages where Preece discusses. I’m sure the presser will be on the official site to rewatch if you watch to go there

Before Southampton game? Found it. 

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's been a good window for us, no need to spend big now when we are stuck in mid table. Wait until the summer and then try to ship a few out as well. 

Still don't understand the idea that if you're mid-table you might as well stop trying. How many weeks into a new season should a team really go for it? Isn't it highly likely Villa will be mid-table next season too?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

There is nothing actually from Emery in that Q&A

Yeah as I said it was discussing what Emery had said

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Which PC has he stated what you say he has, because I have not seen it?

Check the official site, I just watch them when ones come out .  They post them on the site afterwards so it’ll be there.

Number of free agents still available to be snapped up if we have any short falls,

Notably Isco, Experienced attacking midfielder just been released by Real Madrid, Emry will know all about him from his time in Spain. 

1 minute ago, Kingman said:

Number of free agents still available to be snapped up if we have any short falls,

Notably Isco, Experienced attacking midfielder just been released by Real Madrid, Emry will know all about him from his time in Spain. 

Isco is a brilliant player but physically he's knackered.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Isco is a brilliant player but physically he's knackered.

I'm assuming he's late 20's now then.

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

He's 30

Yeah, probably can't walk now then.

Twas just a joke of the VT obsession that anyone in their late 20's/early 30's are washed up.

• Haha 2