January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

A happy clapper. Ah mate, Villa “fans “ like you are ten a penny. A lust for newness and novelty. We could sign 7 or 8 today and you’d still want 7 or 8 in the summer. I’ll trust the lad who’s doing a pretty good job so far and seems to know what he’s at. If he’d of wanted someone today, im sure we’d of had him. 

I hate to break it to you pal, but I'm in my late 50's. My first game was Rotherham in Div 3 (League 1 to you lovely lads). I've seen the Villa go from dogshit to magnificent and all stations in between. Doesn't make me a 'better Villa fan' or any cleverer than anyone else. So I have no clue what you mean by newness and novelty. I wasn't expecting 7 or 8 today - we don't need that many. What we do need, are improvements to the current squad.....in my opinion, we haven't made any significant improvements, if anything the squad is weaker. He's done a great job...for 7 or 8 games. This does not make him  Ron Saunders or the font of all wisdom. In fact, I'd argue that the marked improvement in performances since Emery took over, should have made us hungrier to boost the squad given the relatively poor form of some teams. We have an opportunity that we didn't expect, but may potentially pass us by.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I think they did yes, but where were the 2nd, 3rd options. If you wanna move forward, you don't go for a couple of players then give up if they are too expensive or not available, you move on to the next, or try harder.

Answer this question, do you think Lange and co found 2 or 4 players, then found out they were out of reach so that's that.

emery said in his duran press conference that we would only sign players that would improve us. so yes, i believe that once emerys top targets were, for whatever reason, not possible then we walked away. i believe we probably did have 4-5 players at least that emery wanted that we couldn't get and i respect them for not just bringing in bodies for the sake of it that will end up playing in turkey or france in 18 months.

we've gone down the road of settling for back up of back up options before...that's how we ended up with borja baston

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When Smith got Sacked and Gerrard came in. Some moaning on here never talked about Europe. When we had a strong January window, they didnt talk about Europe. 

Now those same few posters are disappointed and annoyed that we might not qualify for Europe. 

You have to laugh. 

Your just making it up now to suit your personal narrative. Europe is the goal every season, but we end up being shit due to the manager. We have a top guy now, who has positioned us in the right place to fight for top 7. But again, we will probably fail due to this poor January window and counting on Watkins for the goals.

• Like 2

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

That manager has been here for 9 league games. We’ve had years of mismanagement and then we have had to build a squad in one summer after promotion and only now we’re moving on from that.

These things take time. Emery will need at least 3 more windows to get the squad how he wants it to look. 

When you put it like that it's just insane the levels some have gone. 

9 games ago, we didn't know who we could attract and 17th was looking just fine. 

Now people are openly stating they'll be annoyed and disappointed if we don't get top 6. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Genuine question. Is Todd Boehly crazy ?

No because he knows he won't get punished because it's Chelsea.

If villa did what Chelsea did we would be fined out of existence. I guess being part of the sky six means your playing to a different set of rules, eg none.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

What if he thought that the clubs offers were miserly, and that is the reason for his dissatisfaction.....look, 2 can play that game of "what if"

We simply don't know.....but what we do Know is....that we signed 2 players, questionably, whether it makes us stronger.

We also know, we took all January, to establish that our alleged targets were not gettable....if in fact the targets were bonafide.

Only UE knows those answers.

Ismaila Sarr about to sign for Villa in August for £25m , January 31st Watford reject offer of around £36m. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Your just making it up now to suit your personal narrative. Europe is the goal every season, but we end up being shit due to the manager. We have a top guy now, who has positioned us in the right place to fight for top 7. But again, we will probably fail due to this poor January window and counting on Watkins for the goals.

Oh I must have missed your demands for Europe this time last year. Sorry. You keep dreaming high so you can justify the moans. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

When you put it like that it's just insane the levels some have gone. 

9 games ago, we didn't know who we could attract and 17th was looking just fine. 

Now people are openly stating they'll be annoyed and disappointed if we don't get top 6. 

January madness.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Well yeah there's an awful lot. All the years they've been here. 

What a strange take. 

You are assuming, I mean the Owners.....you know what assume, stands for.

Look, you equally are assuming everything has gone to plan, and it might have....but what if it hasn't.

Your thinking has no contingency.

No panic buys is good sign imo. Emery is a serial winner and I have compete faith in him, pointless getting rid of the deadwood if you’re aren’t going to bring better in. Wait to the summer and get the players you want to go straight into the starting 11.

Edited by WHY

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think people have just chosen to ignore the huge potential in Duran because he won't strike us into Europe this season. 

What if these time he gets over the next 18 months accelerates what he can do for us next season?

Forget next season, the club has put him in a position where he has to hit the ground running. I hope he can. My gut says it's a lot of expectation to put on him given his experience.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

emery said in his duran press conference that we would only sign players that would improve us. so yes, i believe that once emerys top targets were, for whatever reason, not possible then we walked away. i believe we probably did have 4-5 players at least that emery wanted that we couldn't get and i respect them for not just bringing in bodies for the sake of it that will end up playing in turkey or france in 18 months.

we've gone down the road of settling for back up of back up options before...that's how we ended up with borja baston

Can we just pin this quote at the top of the page. 

Would save a lot of the moaning. 

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Ismaila Sarr about to sign for Villa in August for £25m , January 31st Watford reject offer of around £36m. 

Everton’s bid was rejected because it was a loan  for £2m with an obligation to buy only if they stayed up..

• Thanks 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

Forget next season, the club has put him in a position where he has to hit the ground running. I hope he can. My gut says it's a lot of expectation to put on him given his experience.

No they haven't. He's a back up striker with nothing on the line for us this season. 

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

To add some sauce,  so far this season Haaland and Kane have both individually scored more Premier League goals than our entire squad put together, whilst Ivan Toney would need just 3 goals more to match our entire squad's goal tally. 

This is slightly disingenuous, seeing as this squad was being managed by an utter clown for the majority of that.

We are 3rd in the form table under Emery, and 6th highest scorers.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Genuine question. Is Todd Boehly crazy ?

It's another example of FFP not working, how are teams like us ever gonna catch up if the big boys can still just go out and spend half a billy in one transfer window.

I doubt he will be able to spend like this in the summer, so he better hope it works, if not, Chelsea will be well in the shit!!

1 minute ago, TRO said:

You are assuming, I mean the Owners.....you know what assume, stands for.

Look, you equally are assuming everything has gone to plan, and it might have....but what if it hasn't.

Your thinking has no contingency.

But this is so strange. 

Do you often ignore years of history to just make a blind assumption? That's just very odd. 

My co-workers all seem very nice and have been great for years. But I can only assume they're not insane serial killers. It's just a mad way to go through life. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But again, we will probably fail due to this poor January window and counting on Watkins for the goals.

Goals in the wins against Manure Spurs and Leeds 

Buendia x2

Bailey x2

Digne, Luiz, Ramsey x1

• Like 1