January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, useless said:

Watford turned down a bid from Everton for Sarr that would have been worth £36m if Everton have survived. I like Sarr, but that shows the big money it takes to bring players in in January.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

No they haven't. He's a back up striker with nothing on the line for us this season. 

The club needs goals. If he doesn't score any, then all of our forward players need to drastically improve their output to maintain our GD, let alone try to catch anyone above us. Like a 30% uplift from everyone over their rates achieved under Gerrard and Emery so far.

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think people have just chosen to ignore the huge potential in Duran because he won't strike us into Europe this season. 

What if these time he gets over the next 18 months accelerates what he can do for us next season?

There is no reason why he cant hit the ground running now. I'm sure he hungry to impress. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When you put it like that it's just insane the levels some have gone. 

9 games ago, we didn't know who we could attract and 17th was looking just fine. 

Now people are openly stating they'll be annoyed and disappointed if we don't get top 6. 

its called Progress....not long ago Newcastle was signing Targett......er, I think they have moved on now, don't you?

I agree, top 6 is fanciful.....but I'll bet most fans would think our targets would be more gettable, from 17th to 11th......will we have to win the league, to attract stronger players?

• Haha 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

It's another example of FFP not working, how are teams like us ever gonna catch up if the big boys can still just go out and spend half a billy in one transfer window.

I doubt he will be able to spend like this in the summer, so he better hope it works, if not, Chelsea will be well in the shit!!

FFP has never worked. We shouldn’t be getting on our high horse though. We have cheated the system to our advantage. 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

It's another example of FFP not working, how are teams like us ever gonna catch up if the big boys can still just go out and spend half a billy in one transfer window.

I doubt he will be able to spend like this in the summer, so he better hope it works, if not, Chelsea will be well in the shit!!

They sell academy players for £30m+ and have incoming revenue far exceeding ours.

Let’s hope we’ve spent this window, and will spend the next couple of months, laying the groundwork to get most of our summer deals done early.

If we can offload Digne and Coutinho in that window and trim the wage bill even further we should hopefully have a big summer to really rebuild the squad to what Emery wants.

Can’t fault the club for how well they’ve done in this window in terms of trimming the fat from the squad.

No panic buys, no overpaying, and what looks like an actual transfer strategy.

That first season back, where we spent something like £150m net, is a distant memory and one that shouldn’t really affect us much in the summer from an FFP perspective.

Our net spend since then has been £50m per season on average, which is not a huge amount for a PL club. Hopefully this is all leading to us having a really big summer.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

its called Progress....not long ago Newcastle was signing Targett......er, I think they have moved on now, don't you?

I agree, top 6 is fanciful.....but I'll bet most fans would think our targets would be more gettable, from 17th to 11th......will we have to win the league, to attract stronger players?

Serious question. 

Why didn't you care this much last year? 

5 minutes ago, Powehi said:

This is slightly disingenuous, seeing as this squad was being managed by an utter clown for the majority of that.

We are 3rd in the form table under Emery, and 6th highest scorers.

And we had another striker. One who scored ca.30% of our goals this season.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The club needs goals. If he doesn't score any, then all of our forward players need to drastically improve their output to maintain our GD, let alone try to catch anyone above us. Like a 30% uplift from everyone over their rates achieved under Gerrard and Emery so far.

He's a back up player. He more than likely won't need to start multiple games for us. 

If he can contribute great. But there's other players who should be doing more before him. 

That guy on huge wages that we all loved last January for starters. Imagine if we'd done that again. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

They sell academy players for £30m+ and have incoming revenue far exceeding ours.

They have lost £150 million a year for the last 3 years, Abramovich was bank rolling them, there spending has never been sustainable and neither is it now, they need success quick and keep it up.

I think for me I just want to see Emery truly backed as I think he's a fantastic manager and the best we've had in my lifetime.

This window wasn't the best in my opinion and I feel there were players we could have signed if we'd been prepared to back the manager more like Guendouzi, who would have been a big investment but would clearly have improved the first team. I would like to see a strong summer transfer window with at least 2 clear upgrades to the first team and ideally 3. That will require a fair bit of investment but I'm hoping the owners back Emery as he clearly knows what he is doing as evidenced by his success at other clubs.

One good thing we have done is clear out a few deadwood players so hopefully that means we will go full pelt at the summer window and get our top targets in. But you can understand people feeling a bit disappointed as the last two transfer windows have been underwhelming especially when rival teams are investing heavily.

• Like 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

Another thing we're just going to have to agree to disagree on, I'm afraid. You keep bringing statistics from Gerrard's reign into this 'debate' whereas I feel it has little to no bearing as Emery has changed our formation, style of play and first-team (to a lesser degree) substantially for that to be irrelevant.

Ings scored some goals. He also doesn't suit the team we are now, and his legs appeared to have gone. Someone else has posted statistics showing the goals have been shared around in our recent wins, all from players who will be in the first team between now and summer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its widely accepted, that you can't eat an elephant in one bite.

So we accept, that the fix will take more than one window, but incremental strengthening is/was expected.

If you think, Moreno and Duran, suffice, then fine.......I was expecting a tad more tangible evidence.....but hey ho, its opinions.

I never expect anything from January transfer windows. Never have done. But you’re right, it’s opinions.

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I don’t disagree but it’s time for our big money signings like Buendia and Bailey to step up and chip in more, in terms of goals and assists. They have been given the chance to prove they are good enough to play for our great club.

Edited by WHY

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That is part of the idea of the new urban academy to unearth gems and the redevelopment of the stadium. It is a uphill battle but the owners have always wanted to put Villa in a sustainable position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But this is so strange. 

Do you often ignore years of history to just make a blind assumption? That's just very odd. 

My co-workers all seem very nice and have been great for years. But I can only assume they're not insane serial killers. It's just a mad way to go through life. 

I think your interpretation, is weird.

I am clear, that my view on our performance in this window, is much different to yours, is that so hard to reconcile.

If you thinks its ok, far be it from me, to question that.....but your search for my thoughts takes on a wild stab at blind assumption.

I was expecting better, is that so difficult to wrestle with, without finding it so strange....do you think that folk, who disagree with you are strange, for doing so?