January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Chelsea and maybe Bournemouth (?) aside, I don’t know of many other teams that bought that many more players than us. 

It was time to trim the squad and we’ll trim the squad even further in the Summer, replacing the players that leave with actual big budget quality. 

So what if Watkins gets injured. I imagine Ings would only have got injured himself at some point anyway. Also, he’s immobile and apart from the odd appearance of the bench, barely features.

Sanson and Nakamba aren’t up to it and weren’t needed. 

Like I say, Id have got rid of a few more if I could. This squad hasn’t managed to finish in the top half or win a trophy over the last couple of years. Time to let go of a few and bring in players that might help us actually achieve something. 

Correct about Ings saw he was injured already for West Ham on Monday night as not in squad although I thought he’d be cup tied anyway as he was captain when we lost to Stevenage. Yes disappointed not to replace him but as you suggest he will be more prone to injury at his age, Watkins is rarely injured, we could of kept Archer but he hardly took any opportunities given to him. it’s a risk but obviously a considered risk by the club. 

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

More than 600m 

We are bothering to comply because Chelsea are also complying to the rules.

Yes perhaps, but those rules have been bent out of all recognition by their long term contracts, to the extent that they are now being changed before anyone else tries to do the same.  

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Chelsea and maybe Bournemouth (?) aside, I don’t know of many other teams that bought that many more players than us. 

It was time to trim the squad and we’ll trim the squad even further in the Summer, replacing the players that leave with actual big budget quality. 

So what if Watkins gets injured. I imagine Ings would only have got injured himself at some point anyway. Also, he’s immobile and apart from the odd appearance of the bench, barely features.

Sanson and Nakamba aren’t up to it and weren’t needed. 

Like I say, Id have got rid of a few more if I could. This squad hasn’t managed to finish in the top half or win a trophy over the last couple of years. Time to let go of a few and bring in players that might help us actually achieve something. 

I have no objections to the players like nakamba leaving, but dont see how we are stronger when you have bought no replacements in.

I keep hearing the squads "bloated" but is it? I dont think it is at all with the 7 sub rules. Look how many options the top sides have then look at our bench vs Southampton we had to name two keepers on the bench!

Luckily we have enough points that should keep us up but if we were in a relegation scrap id be highly concerned should we pick up injuries 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Reading alot about how agueros targeting a comeback and has been training hard with a personal trainer. Would anyone take him similar to eriksons return at Brentford as cover till summer ???

I think his fitness would be too much of a concern. I also think he’d want huge wages and don’t think he’d come here anyway. 

1 minute ago, John said:

Yes perhaps, but those rules have been bent out of all recognition by their long term contracts, to the extent that they are now being changed before anyone else tries to do the same.  

If 2/3 of those players don’t work out, they’ll be in big trouble.

If I’m a footballer and you’ve given me 100k a week on an 8yr deal, I’m set for life. Why even bother to perform? You’re a multi millionaire and all you have to do is turn up for training. 

• Like 3

I don’t really mind how the window went

quite like a streamlined squad rather than a load of people just hanging around, costing money, waiting for the odd cup game against lower opposition to play in (and mess up)

reckon being perpetually left on the sidelines creates antagonism and bad atmosphere detrimental to squad harmony

getting rid now, while we only have the league to think about for the rest of the season is good and we can bring in fresh hungry players over the summer

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

This is interesting, if accurate. 

Maybe Unai wanted to keep his powder dry for a big summer spend on better targets? 

I can see us signing 3-4 new first teamers in the summer. Out of what we currently have I'd say that a right back, creative midfielder and a proven goalscorer could be three positions to improve on. We then need a new no.2 keeper. Maybe a better CB than Chambers for cover?

That is very interesting 

If the plan is a big summer then as disappointing as this windows been, then it would be worth it if we are targetting players of the calibre of pau torres for example

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have no objections to the players like nakamba leaving, but dont see how we are stronger when you have bought no replacements in.

I keep hearing the squads "bloated" but is it? I dont think it is at all with the 7 sub rules. Look how many options the top sides have then look at our bench vs Southampton we had to name two keepers on the bench!

Luckily we have enough points that should keep us up but if we were in a relegation scrap id be highly concerned should we pick up injuries 

We’re not in a relegation scrap and therefore didn’t have to do stupid deals at inflated prices. West Ham have to pay Ings his retirement contract now and once they stay up, he’ll probably be surplus to requirements anyway and stuck on their bench. Couldn’t care less we got rid of Ings. I thought he was crap really anyway and we should never have signed him, 

Why would we replace Sanson and Nakamba? How many appearances do they have for us in the league this season? Same for Archer? 

Our first XI is stronger and we’ve saved ourselves some money on wages. We’ll also be in a much stronger position in the Summer to strengthen.

I’d have much preferred to get rid of Coutinho and Digne this transfer window too, but I can’t see anybody touching them two. I could be wrong. I never thought anyone would take Ings off our books!

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

I can only hope Duran has impressed in training and lessened the pressure to sign in that position.

I am sure that would have been the plan otherwise Archer would have stayed around. 

For whatever reason it hasn't happened and that puts us in a risky place.

I am pleased to have Bertie and KKH back from loan and hopefully they can contribute. 

Overall I am fine with us not padding the squad with short term signings on big wages, and I can see both Archer and Ireogbunam coming back to be involved with the first team next season, hopefully off the back of a great few months in the Championship. 

We have managed to clear the decks a bit for what will surely be a big summer ahead. I think we may see at least 6-7 in and largely for the first XI.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Id say this is probably one of the worst transfer windows we have had.

Got rid of host of players and didnt replace them.

Having on recognised striker fir me is a huge gamble. As long as emery is backed massively in summer then its fine. But if not we do need to start asking questions

I remember one window where we signed Eric Djemba Djemba.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re not in a relegation scrap and therefore didn’t have to do stupid deals at inflated prices. West Ham have to pay Ings his retirement contract now and once they stay up, he’ll probably be surplus to requirements anyway and stuck on their bench. Couldn’t care less we got rid of Ings. I thought he was crap really anyway and we should never have signed him, 

Why would we replace Sanson and Nakamba? How many appearances do they have for us in the league this season? Same for Archer? 

Our first XI is stronger and we’ve saved ourselves some money on wages. We’ll also be in a much stronger position in the Summer to strengthen.

I’d have much preferred to get rid of Coutinho and Digne this transfer window too, but I can’t see anybody touching them two. I could be wrong. I never thought anyone would take Ings off our books!

Yes but only reason we havent used them is because thankfulky we havent had a injury crisis. Mcginn got injured andlook how light we look in cm midfield now. We have luiz kamara JJ mcginn and if need be chambers. Look how pants we were when kamara got injured? If he gets injured again we have to play luiz there and he is much better in his current position.

We have let go sanson, nakamba and chuck. Since those three have gone we have bought in one.

Thank god your not manager if you would have authorised two more outgoings with no more coming in. Who plays when injuries kick in?  Maybe pako can play left wing or maybe get jedinak out of retirement?!

I think those two if they dont inprove can leave in summer if need be. Lazt thing we Need is more outgoings

• Like 1

The Birmingham Mail is 99% shite, so I rarely read it and often slag it, but for anyone who can't be arsed to trawl through yesterday's wankfest on here, this summary of the main issues and how they were perceived by fans is actually pretty good, I think...

OPINION £400m frustration and Aston Villa summer window transfer plan explained

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-emery-26124642

Apologies if it has already been shared, though I can't imagine it has!

Not quite as busy as we had hoped for was it? We identified our targets, but they were mostly not available during this window (to my knowledge none of them have gone elsewhere) and we were not prepared to overpay considerably to make something happen before the summer. We have brought in two players that we identified and I very much like the look of the one that has already had the opportunity to play for us.

UE and the club will move again for those targets in the next window, we do need to make those signings happen then. We didn't feel any need to revert to Plan C or D this time for short term cover and I'm glad we still have the likes of Digne, as well as Coutinho available for at least the run in to this season. We haven't sold any of our regular starters and clubs perhaps are beginning to accept that we're not a selling club from which they can prise the likes of Matty and Douglas, away from. I would have kept Ings myself, although I can see the financial reasoning behind the decision and appreciate that we would have had a replacement in mind. 

Fans, players and coaching staff, can now concentrate on aiming to finish as high in the table as is possible this season, until the next transfer window opens to a new fanfare that will herald a glut of incoming high quality players.  

• Like 1

I think this was a very smart window. The thing we have struggled for since, well, as far as I can remember 2012-13 was shifting dead wood. Which we did very well. We have so much money it's crazy. 

Sure, if Watkins gets stuck in an elevator, Bertie decides to be injured again, Bailey has one of his non existent games and Duran doesn't get picked up from pre school in time we will be short in attack.

But it's a safe bet to assume all of those things won't happen at once. 

10 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

The Birmingham Mail is 99% shite, so I rarely read it and often slag it, but for anyone who can't be arsed to trawl through yesterday's wankfest on here, this summary of the main issues and how they were perceived by fans is actually pretty good, I think...

OPINION £400m frustration and Aston Villa summer window transfer plan explained

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-emery-26124642

Apologies if it has already been shared, though I can't imagine it has!

Yep as Emery indicated that Duran was a club signing, not his and he’s only signed one of his targets in Moreno and you could sense Emery’s frustration….

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Apart from Ings, none of the players were actually options. They were never used. 

With Mcginn, Carlos and Traore being close to fitness, we then actually have players who will be used and play a part. 

Plus the signing of Duran and youth players like Young and KKH as real back up options.