January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just now, DCJonah said:

He's a back up player. He more than likely won't need to start multiple games for us. 

If he can contribute great. But there's other players who should be doing more before him

That guy on huge wages that we all loved last January for starters. Imagine if we'd done that again. 

Who? Based on current rates this season our squad excluding whatever Jhon can provide would be 16th in terms of goals scored. 

Either Jhon needs to score, or Ollie and Bailey needs to sort their shit out and start scoring.

Can people stop using Newcastle as an example. They’re owned by one of the most powerful families in the world that has The protection of the USA and Britain.

They are incredibly rich and a lot of their wealth isn’t even known. Man City’s owners are under their control too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think your interpretation, is weird.

I am clear, that my view on our performance in this window, is much different to yours, is that so hard to reconcile.

If you thinks its ok, far be it from me, to question that.....but your search for my thoughts takes on a wild stab at blind assumption.

I was expecting better, is that so difficult to wrestle with, without finding it so strange....do you think that folk, who disagree with you are strange, for doing so?

No disagreeing isn't strange. Thinking this window hasn't been great isn't strange. 

Ignoring years of evidence to assume the owners have screwed Unai over is incredibly strange. 

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is terrible if only goals from forwards playing centrally count

Who's scoring regularly outside of that? Bailey has four which is o.k but the worry is he's yet to score or even look much of a threat away from Villa Park. Buendia has 3 goals in 20 games which isn't great for the minutes he's now getting.

When West Ham finished 6th in 20/21 they had Soucek scoring 10 from central midfield. Antonio that year also hit 10 and Bowen chipped in with 8 so we look well short currently even if there's still half a season left.

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The club needs goals. If he doesn't score any, then all of our forward players need to drastically improve their output to maintain our GD, let alone try to catch anyone above us. Like a 30% uplift from everyone over their rates achieved under Gerrard and Emery so far.

Since Emery took over the 7 goals we've scored from non forwards is 2 more than Chelsea total goals and they've played an extra fixture.

10 teams have scored 7 or less in that period. Newcastle and Fulham have 9 goals total in same number of games as us. 

Why do people keep undermining the fact we're scoring goals throughout the team just to have a whinge about not having a backup to forward that played 180 mins under Emery and writing off Duran at the same time?

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Who? Based on current rates this season our squad excluding whatever Jhon can provide would be 16th in terms of goals scored. 

Either Jhon needs to score, or Ollie and Bailey needs to sort their shit out and start scoring.

We have Coutinho on the bench. He should be contributing before we start saying this 18 year old kid needs to hit the ground running. 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think your interpretation, is weird.

I am clear, that my view on our performance in this window, is much different to yours, is that so hard to reconcile.

If you thinks its ok, far be it from me, to question that.....but your search for my thoughts takes on a wild stab at blind assumption.

I was expecting better, is that so difficult to wrestle with, without finding it so strange....do you think that folk, who disagree with you are strange, for doing so?

We have been here before mate, it's like de ja vu. We can have our opinions as long as we know they are wrong.

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Our net spend since then has been £50m per season on average, which is not a huge amount for a PL club. 

Ignoring the big 6 who have double or triple revenues, that is a massive spend for the other 14 clubs. That’s over 25% of our annual turnover on transfers, add in the 70% on wages, and we’re spending almost every penny we have on transfers and wages.

The final few % on overheads before anyone points out it doesn’t add to 100%.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Who's scoring regularly outside of that? Bailey has four which is o.k but the worry is he's yet to score or even look much of a threat away from Villa Park. Buendia has 3 goals in 20 games which isn't great for the minutes he's now getting.

When West Ham finished 6th in 20/21 they had Soucek scoring 10 from central midfield. Antonio that year also hit 10 and Bowen chipped in with 8 so we look well short currently even if there's still half a season left.

I think Bailey, Buendia, Watkins and Dougie all look more of a threat in these 9 games under Emery. 

Why can't that continue?

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

Read above I just answered. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Serious question. 

Why didn't you care this much last year? 

Whats that got to do with it?....and who says I didn't care as much.

I am just making an observation, now.

FWIW I wasn't enamered with Last January either....but I am writing now, not then.....I wasn't enamered with the summer either, bar for Kamara, and Carlos.

Just now, TRO said:

Whats that got to do with it?....and who says I didn't care as much.

I am just making an observation, now.

FWIW I wasn't enamered with Last January either....but I am writing now, not then.....I wasn't enamered with the summer either, bar for Kamara, and Carlos.

Just seems strange again that we had this proven winner in charge and you weren't moaning about not finishing top 6. 

Yet now you are. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No disagreeing isn't strange. Thinking this window hasn't been great isn't strange. 

Ignoring years of evidence to assume the owners have screwed Unai over is incredibly strange. 

I agree.

but I am not saying that.

Just now, DCJonah said:

We have Coutinho on the bench. He should be contributing before we start saying this 18 year old kid needs to hit the ground running. 

Except he isn’t and isn’t likely to. I believed ( still do ) that Gerrard is/was woefully inept and that maybe coutinho was hamstrung with such a bad manager. What I’ve seen of him so far with Emery - he’s done nothing wrong but he has in no way effected games either. It’s a damming indictment of a once world class player when we are getting excited by him playing a 5 yard pass in a 10 minute cameo. Coutinho is done. Legs are gone.