January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

When Smith got Sacked and Gerrard came in. Some moaning on here never talked about Europe. When we had a strong January window, they didnt talk about Europe. 

Now those same few posters are disappointed and annoyed that we might not qualify for Europe. 

You have to laugh. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The guys been in charge for a couple of months. He’ll need more than a January window anyway. What happened to the patience ?

I think its widely accepted, that you can't eat an elephant in one bite.

So we accept, that the fix will take more than one window, but incremental strengthening is/was expected.

If you think, Moreno and Duran, suffice, then fine.......I was expecting a tad more tangible evidence.....but hey ho, its opinions.

1 minute ago, El Segundo said:

Ings has 0.65 PL goals per 90 minutes this season.

A goal every 139 minutes - only 6 players better that in the PL this season

His appearance time averages out at 46 minutes per appearance.

Not unreasonable to think that more appearance time would have produced more goals - perhaps 10-12 in total.

Whether you think he doesn't fit the system, can't run, or wanted to leave, he was producing the goods when called upon. Going to heard to replace.  

How many penalties?

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

If I knew the answer to that, I would print it.

Like I said....We will know in due course.

If he is happy, we will all be happy.....if he's not, that paints a different picture.

Utterly crazy thinking. 

There's nothing to suggest it. 

If Unai is unhappy with the club then I'd get some of the complaints. But to just assume it and to assume the owners would potentially ruin the relationship with him this early is mad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

So we accept, that the fix will take more than one window, but incremental strengthening is/was expected.

If you think, Moreno and Duran, suffice, then fine.......I was expecting a tad more tangible evidence.....but hey ho, its opinions.

But you're ignoring the massive improvement in players and the team since your proven winner left the club. 

Improvement doesn't just happen with signing new players. Gerrard should have probably tried that if he wasn't a fraud of a manager. 

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I  didn't know you could eat an elephant, full stop. 

2 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Ings was sold. We spent the most we've ever spent in a January transfer window ever. We signed a class LB and one of the best young strikers in world football. 
We need to move on. 

I think people have just chosen to ignore the huge potential in Duran because he won't strike us into Europe this season. 

What if these time he gets over the next 18 months accelerates what he can do for us next season?

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

genuine question. do you think that the club attempted to replace ings and sign more quality?

I think they did yes, but where were the 2nd, 3rd options. If you wanna move forward, you don't go for a couple of players then give up if they are too expensive or not available, you move on to the next, or try harder.

Answer this question, do you think Lange and co found 2 or 4 players, then found out they were out of reach so that's that.

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

what if he is not satisfied but acknowledges that the fees the club was quoted for its top targets were unrealistic and therefore the lack of transfers were out of his and the club's hands?

What if he thought that the clubs offers were miserly, and that is the reason for his dissatisfaction.....look, 2 can play that game of "what if"

We simply don't know.....but what we do Know is....that we signed 2 players, questionably, whether it makes us stronger.

We also know, we took all January, to establish that our alleged targets were not gettable....if in fact the targets were bonafide.

Only UE knows those answers.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

It’s not enough. We should have signed 4 more  squad fillers on big wages, 3 of whom we’ll be trying to sell in 12 months at a loss.

No we should have gone out there and smashed our transfer record 3 times signing whoever the hell we want. 

Man U having to loan a Burnley striker shows there were loads of clear options out there. 

Just now, duke313 said:

It’s not enough. We should have signed 4 more  squad fillers on big wages, 3 of whom we’ll be trying to sell in 12 months at a loss.

I'm glad we avoided it. We've won 5 out of 7 with the current squad not doubt we can get Europe this season!
Replaced a aging slow Ings with a good all rounder. Cleared the deadwood. Got Carlos coming back. Things are looking up. Looks like Arsenal last January transfer window. 

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

For me it's not about statement signings, just numbers.

Our forward options now are: Watkins, Bailey, Duran, Traore, Buendia.

Duran is raw and hasn't even played since November given that's when MLS packed up. Traore is coming back injured just like last season so who knows when he'll be ready to make a squad. Can play Bailey as CF but some games it just won't work.

We need some decent options off the bench as plenty of games the first 11 won't work, Wolves at home was classic example and subs got us back in it. Beyond changing the full backs and perhaps putting a regular midfielder on it's pretty limited if we're 1-0 down with 25 minutes left.

Crazy pressure on Duran if that's the scenario on Saturday.

This is terrible if only goals from forwards playing centrally count

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Utterly crazy thinking. 

There's nothing to suggest it. 

If Unai is unhappy with the club then I'd get some of the complaints. But to just assume it and to assume the owners would potentially ruin the relationship with him this early is mad. 

and nothing so far, to rule it out.

If he does, say he's happy....then fine.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

But you're ignoring the massive improvement in players and the team since your proven winner left the club. 

Improvement doesn't just happen with signing new players. Gerrard should have probably tried that if he wasn't a fraud of a manager. 

Some don’t know their arse from their elbow. How many time’s have we tried to spend our way out of trouble before and got nowhere in the absence of any real elite coaching - it never worked. He’s clearly positively effecting the group he has. Be fans maybe. Take a watching brief and trust the boss. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Guess I wish I had lower expectations like you. You've been happy with midtable, I what more, nothing wrong with that.

After many years, we now have a top manager, why not do some proper business now and push on, you never know with Emery, we might finish in those magic places, an if we did, we will then be able to attract bigger names to push on in the 23/24 season.

That manager has been here for 9 league games. We’ve had years of mismanagement and then we have had to build a squad in one summer after promotion and only now we’re moving on from that.

These things take time. Emery will need at least 3 more windows to get the squad how he wants it to look.