January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Name the goal scorers in the Premier League.

Haaland, Salah, Kane are the only three I can think of. Teams share goal scoring burden these days. Some players have purple patch of scoring like Antonio or Wilson or Watkins 

You can put Jesus in there as well but you notice they are the best teams in the league not only because they are the best but also they have somebody that can nick a winner in tight games which add points that make a difference.  If Arsenal had had Jesus last season they would’ve got the CL spot over Spurs.  Haaland and Salah are classic examples of the difference makers even when their teams aren’t playing at their best.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You can put Jesus in there as well but you notice they are the best teams in the league not only because they are the best but also they have somebody that can nick a winner in tight games which add points that make a difference.  If Arsenal had had Jesus last season they would’ve got the CL spot over Spurs.  Haaland and Salah are classic examples of the difference makers even when their teams aren’t playing at their best.

I wouldn't include Jesus, he's scored in 4 of 13 PL games this season and only got 5 goals. That'll be 14/15 over the season. Watkins in his debut season level output.

Players who score 20 non penalty goals in a season are goal scorers imv and those are often in the teams who create the most chances. 

39 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

12 goals and 4 assists from 16 is apparently a solid start !!! I would call it legendary ! 

Don't think @GarethRDR is much of a fan as suggested him previously but that feels the sort of signing we should be making, mid 20s, pretty experienced by now and solid scoring stats.

Diaby at Leverkusen another who may be gettable.

I have faith that Emery will identify what is needed with the squad particularly up front, and he'll be backed by NSWE to make the changes in the next few windows.  If UE feels Watkins and Ings can't get the output needed, they'll be replaced.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Big, powerful, pacy, all day long for me, his contract runs out in June as well. Might be bigger fish after him but I’ve suggested him for a while and I think he’d do well here. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure we can simply replace the likes of Ings and Watkins. These are multimillion pound signings on huge wages - Ings especially. We are not in a place financially where we can just replace players without them leaving first. Nobody is taking Ings off our hands and unless Watkins finds some consistency, he won't have that many suitors for the price we'd want. 
The only place in the squad I think we could look to add to, without somebody leaving first, is the wide forward position. Bailey is the only genuine winger at the club. 

I think we'll see this position strengthened in Jan, but that will be your lot. We need a huge clearout in the Summer I'm afraid. 

I would expect we'd sell any of McGinn, Sanson, Ings, Chambers, Marv, Coutinho, Guilbert, Daddy Donk, Traore, Azaz if we get any offers even approaching their value.

I'd be so sad if McGinn left. There's time for him to come back I think, but he's up against it now.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Players who score 20 non penalty goals in a season are goal scorers imv and those are often in the teams who create the most chances. 

FWIW,I remember "Malcome McDonald ( Newcastle ) was the first player to score 20 goals in div1 in a single season.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure we can simply replace the likes of Ings and Watkins. These are multimillion pound signings on huge wages - Ings especially. We are not in a place financially where we can just replace players without them leaving first. Nobody is taking Ings off our hands and unless Watkins finds some consistency, he won't have that many suitors for the price we'd want. 
The only place in the squad I think we could look to add to, without somebody leaving first, is the wide forward position. Bailey is the only genuine winger at the club. 

I think we'll see this position strengthened in Jan, but that will be your lot. We need a huge clearout in the Summer I'm afraid. 

No chance!  I’m sure Emery would’ve been promised he could’ve brought in players with the plan to sell others down the line.  They aren’t going to bring in somebody like Emery and also Emery accept the job and hamstring him from day one.  

Yes we need to ship out some players and more so because Emery will have his own plans but I believe the plan will be to back Emery upfront with a few key players that he wants asap with the agreement that over the coming number of windows to then reduce the squad size back to normal size.

No way are they going to hamstring him from day one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Don't think @GarethRDR is much of a fan as suggested him previously but that feels the sort of signing we should be making, mid 20s, pretty experienced by now and solid scoring stats.

He's definitely reaping the rewards of a permanent switch to the middle of the park and the transition to "Farkeball" (sadly inclusive of the traditional Farkeball woeful defending, mind 😭).

If he was coming in as a centre-forward, I'd be all for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

FWIW,I remember "Malcome McDonald ( Newcastle ) was the first player to score 20 goals in div1 in a single season.

That's odd because John Goodall scored 21 league goals for Preston North End in 1888/89 (the first season of the football league).  If you want to be pedantic about the emphasis on a First Division - the Second Division started in 1892 - then the first player to score more than 20 goals in the First Division was John Campbell who scored 31 goals for Sunderland in the 1892/93 season.

And to make it more relevant - Aston Villa's record holder for most league goals in a season is Tom "Pongo" Waring who scored 49 league goals during the 1930/31 season (he also scored 1 cup goal and so broke the 50 goals in a season mark) when we finished runners-up in the First Division to Arsenal.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

An Aygyle friend of mine is convinced that Villa are scouting/monitoring their Goalkeeper. he’s also convinced he’s going to be a Prem level keeper. 

Any rumours to back up this interest? 

Yep, big rumours down here in the South West saying the same.

However this rumour surfaced when we had Gerrard in charge and Argyle are managed by a fellow scouser, Stephen Schumacher. 

Cooper is already a highly rated young keeper and Plymouth are flying high in League One. 

• Like 1

looking a bit more in depth at Emery's "usual" tactics (the fluid 442), he likes his CD's and the 2 x DMs/MCs to be excellent ball players to help build from the back and control the ball if required, he also likes pacey CDs so they can play a higher line.

i can see Diego Carlos suiting Emery perfectly, Mings and Konsa are pretty fast but not a great ball players, Chambers is a ball player but not fast, i can see a central defensive upgrade coming.

Luiz, Kamara, Sanson and to maybe to a lesser Degree Donk seem very comfortable on the ball (but Donk offer decent ball retention while being a proper DM type), so i can see them being his nailed on central midfielder competition (unless he see's Sanson out wide or further forward?).

He also seems to like pacey wingers and forwards, if not pacey they have to be technically competent.

I can defo see Bailey fitting the "Danjuma" role of the drifting central striker who also plays as kind of a hybrid winger/inside forward/striker (like Bailey did versus Manure).

I can see Ramsey being very good in the wide role also, he can carry the ball at pace with good technical ability, Buendia can be the technical player cutting in from left or right midfield (as Emery seems to play in his preferred formations - ie: one winger bursts forward but the other cuts in for midfield creativity and overload)

interesting anyways, i can see us looking at central defender upgrade(s), a striker upgrade to someone who is both fast and technically competent (and can finish).

We clearly also need a winger with similar attributes to Bailey to offer double wingers or competition for the one spot.

Should be an interesting January transfer window and summer window, can see us going possibly for a DC, MC, winger and striker.so basically this by the end of the summer window (with maybe a winger to compete with Ramsey/Buendia, and a MC to compete with Luiz/Kamara)

image.png.5a72e67f244d1aff2d74115620003f4b.png

in attack would look something like:

image.png.b7b4012aa396f6eb299a013e1208ec2d.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, allani said:

That's odd because John Goodall scored 21 league goals for Preston North End in 1888/89 (the first season of the football league).  If you want to be pedantic about the emphasis on a First Division - the Second Division started in 1892 - then the first player to score more than 20 goals in the First Division was John Campbell who scored 31 goals for Sunderland in the 1892/93 season.

And to make it more relevant - Aston Villa's record holder for most league goals in a season is Tom "Pongo" Waring who scored 49 league goals during the 1930/31 season (he also scored 1 cup goal and so broke the 50 goals in a season mark) when we finished runners-up in the First Division to Arsenal.

Thanks for saving me a job! 😄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Name the goal scorers in the Premier League.

Haaland, Salah, Kane are the only three I can think of. Teams share goal scoring burden these days. Some players have purple patch of scoring like Antonio or Wilson or Watkins 

Toney Mitrovic Trossard Almiron Rodrigo all more goals than Salah this season

11 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think we need another pacy winger/forward ala Bailey and Watkins as if we lose one of them we lose a dimension up front. Sarr would be perfect, he's tall strong and fast, right footed and is versatile enough, can play as a wide forward or wide midfield / winger.

He's 6 goals and 3 assists from 15 games this season. 

I don't think we need any more signings as we really need to trim this squad down and we have a lot of depth in defence and midfield

Sarr has been incredibly inconsistent throughout his time at Watford.  Granted, they've been quite shit in the Prem during that period, but still...  He goes missing and at times looks like he's lost all his pace due to his lack of effort in some games I've watched.  I'd imagine Emery's sway in the transfer market will be higher than Gerrard's and Emery will be looking at players a grade or two higher than Sarr.  Emery pulled some fantastic players to Villarreal for relatively small transfer fees during his spell there.  We need a superstar or two to make it into the Champions League.  Need to be going after players who could develop into one now.