Pre match thread

M_Afro

Trying to stay optimistic and hope we grab a 1-1 draw.  If we just play the same tactics again then we could get absolutely blasted in the ass though so I'm hoping for some sort of change.  We need that thing Bruce had with Newcastle where they pulled off the most random wins despite being utter dogshit.

• Like 1

Apart from the 2015 FA Cup final, one of my most depressing Villa v Arsenal memories has to be the home game in 2014. I went to Villa Park that day so full of hope and had the most delicious pre match balti pie. Was row 1, great view, great mood…then Arsenal went 3-0 within 36 minutes and I’d never felt so deflated. Can’t see tonight being much different in the levels of deflation sadly. 

Routine win for Arsenal here.   They've got a busy spell of fixtures right now (midweek games every week for the next three weeks) and they play Manchester United this weekend.  If they can be 2-0 up after twenty minutes and cruise through the rest of the game in second gear then I wouldn't be surprised if they did so. 

37 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Apart from the 2015 FA Cup final, one of my most depressing Villa v Arsenal memories has to be the home game in 2014. I went to Villa Park that day so full of hope and had the most delicious pre match balti pie. Was row 1, great view, great mood…then Arsenal went 3-0 within 36 minutes and I’d never felt so deflated. Can’t see tonight being much different in the levels of deflation sadly. 

That 2014 game was the 3 minute collapse right? I was there and remember someone coming back from the toilet and asking what had happened, someone behind me had to say that it was no joke they really had scored 3 in quick succession. That seems to happen to us, I recall Mane doing the 2:56 hattrick against us too.

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

That 2014 game was the 3 minute collapse right? I was there and remember someone coming back from the toilet and asking what had happened, someone behind me had to say that it was no joke they really had scored 3 in quick succession. That seems to happen to us, I recall Mane doing the 2:56 hattrick against us too.

Yep that was the game. It was so horrible. To be fair, it was a good arsenal team but no one should collapse that quickly. But then…villa have a distinct habit of conceding lots of goals in a short space of time. Sadly it appears to be “our thing” :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

one of my most depressing Villa v Arsenal memories has to be the home game in 2014. I went to Villa Park that day so full of hope and had the most delicious pre match balti pie. Was row 1, great view, great mood…then Arsenal went 3-0 within 36 minutes and I’d never felt so deflated. C

I find a good 50% of my time going to Villa, the pre match pint and chippy is far more enjoyable that the utter drivel that is served up on the pitch. Oh well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

You're obviously not old enough to remember Tony Woodcock scoring five against us.

At home.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Is it bad that many of us are just waiting for the inevitable defeat to happen so we can press on with the campaign to get Gerrard out? 

the alternative, is we squeak a good result and that one good result ends up giving Gerrard an extra 4 or 5 games, which will only serve to bugger us up more. 

But he has lost every single game he has played against a top 8 side I think, so there's nothing to worry about. We'll lose the next two and the useless clearing in the woods will be on his way soon enough. I hope.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

the alternative, is we squeak a good result and that one good result ends up giving Gerrard an extra 4 or 5 games, which will only serve to bugger us up more. 

But he has lost every single game he has played against a top 8 side I think, so there's nothing to worry about. We'll lose the next two and the useless clearing in the woods will be on his way soon enough. I hope.

Indeed. Doesn’t feel right though does it. What a time to be a Villa fan.