Pre match thread

M_Afro

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

His midfield selection will be interesting tomorrow, comical if he drops Luiz 

If he picks Ramsey & McGinn and leaves Luiz  he needs to book himself into a mental asylum! 

5 minutes ago, calcifer said:

If he picks Ramsey & McGinn and leaves Luiz  he needs to book himself into a mental asylum! 

He'll play Luiz, but in place of Kamara with Ramsey and McGinn as inverted 8s. Kamara off the bench in the 89th minute up front to try and nick a consolation goal 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Three points tomorrow would put our season back on track points wise, but it's not going to happen is it? 

It is as about as likely of the spontaneous combustion of the Mayor of Warsaw in 1546, and that incident in 12th century Burgandy  when it rained herring.

• Haha 2

So Arteta plays similar to his mentor, Pep.

Zinchenko or Tierney come in to play as an inverted fullback to make a solid 2 in the middle with Partey (injured) or whoever ends up playing CDM. With both Partey and Elneny injured, we might see Xhaka in this role. Saka provides the width on the right as Ben White will only rarely overlap. Odegaard and Xhaka end up playing in the #8 roles a lot and float in the middle as well as provide the overlap when necessary. Martinelli and Jesus play closest to the front where they can be most dangerous.

In an ideal world, you would play Martinez - Cash, Chambers, Mings, Digne - Bailey, McGinn, Luiz, Kamara, Buendia - Watkins. I won't pretend like we will be building intricate attacks, but Arsenal can be had on the counter. In defense, I would play Buendia on the left to assist doubling up on Saka without having to worry too much about Ben White continuously bombing the overlap. This would give Buendia some defensive responsibilities but not have him all the way pinned back - this way he can receive the recovery ball better after a tackle in defense and then play the out ball to Watkins down the left channel or cross field to Bailey on the right channel. I would defend in a flat 5 in the middle but deputize McGinn to cover the right flank depending on the situation to allow Bailey to stay higher up the pitch. Luiz and Kamara can sit in the middle and allow McGinn to float and press their CDM's and be the support arriving in the box. You want Bailey sitting in that slot right behind their Zinchenko or Tierney where there is space. Release him fast and early and let Watkins and Bailey battle the CB's on the counter.

There is space to be had against Arsenal if they sit back and be patient, but you have to recognize their dangers. As mentioned above, it is often their midfielder 8's that overlap so it can be hard to track as they overlap from the midfield instead of from the fullback position. Hard to track if you think of it conceptually (Luiz or Kamara having to abandon their spots in the middle to chase Xhaka and Odegaard). Play as a flat 5 or a flat 4 in the middle and don't let them pull your CDM's to the side. That's what they want you to do to open up those cutback gaps in the middle where Odegaard and company like to sit. They are not a big squad so let them cross it in. That won't be nearly as harmful.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

Partey, Elneny and Zinchenko All out.

Martinez

Cash      Chambers      Mings        Digne

Kamara        Luiz

Bailey              Buendia            Ramsey

Watkins

Cash and Digne to not come up as much as normal and let bailey stay on the wing. I really like the look of the kamara luiz double pivot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

We know the result.

We can only hope the performance goes some way towards resolving our current situation.

Exactly, I don’t need to worry about secretly hoping we lose, I just hope we’re so bad it forces Purslow’s hand.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Sad but true, cricket score tonight and he might not even see the weekend. It was always a punt, I was sceptical but didn't think the wheels would come off quite so badly as they have. The AV manager curse strikes again.

Tomorrow unfortunately. Would love to just get it out the way this evening.

4 hours ago, a-k said:

Based on our positional stats vs West Ham...

Martinez

---------------------Mings Young Augustinsson Digne

-------------------------Kamara

-------------------------------------McGinn Ramsey

--------------------------Coutinho Bailey

---------------------------------------Watkins

Dear ak

That's very innovative. Playing a left footed Mings at RB. Midget Ashley as CB. Putting McGinn in Ramsey's pocket because he's used to it, being in everyone else's pocket. Only thing is I'm not sure about Digne out of position at LB. Just doesn't look right. Still though, you've got the job, when can you start?

Yours Sincerely 

Christian Purslow. 

30 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

We disagree about a lot but I am the same. Nothing good will come of me watching the game. I am just going to be angry when I see us playing the same way and I don't want to be one of those negative guys in a match thread when other fans are trying to back the team during a game. I just dont believe any more.

If we win I will be delighted to shower Gerrard with praise. But I have no desire to see another Villa spanking under Gerrard. Its too depressing. 

Tell me about it mate. Ps I thought it was only Sanson we disagreed on ;)

• Like 1