Pre match thread

M_Afro

1 minute ago, imavillan said:

Tomorrow night will be telling.

Lose the away fans and it's toast before the City game.

Yep, all rides on the Arsenal result for me. 

If we get absolutely battered 4 or 5-0 (which is very possible with how they're playing) then its over for him. As you say, the away fans are the ultimate barometer of a managers fate, they have already this season put up with losing away at what is looking like one of the worst sides in PL history and another debacle at Palace. Once they go, the manager quickly follows, every time. 

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Not necessarily. Lambert lost the away fans and still hobbled on for about 6 months.

This fella won't be hobbling on for 6 months. 

I think he'll be gone by the international break at the latest.

I am hoping the club are sounding out Poch before the axe falls so everything is in place for a quick changeover. 

Under Gerrard we have often looked better against the top teams (still without getting results).

We are awful when trying to break teams down. Arsenal will be different and it’s not totally impossible we could perform better. If that happens, some will no doubt return to backing Gerrard.

The most emotional outcome however would be if Arsenal put 6 or 7 behind Martinez, who they love to ridicule.

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Under Gerrard we have often looked better against the top teams (still without getting results).

We are awful when trying to break teams down. Arsenal will be different and it’s not totally impossible we could perform better. If that happens, some will no doubt return to backing Gerrard.

The most emotional outcome however would be if Arsenal put 6 or 7 behind Martinez, who they love to ridicule.

They are salivating and licking their lips right now…

A good performance would provide some relief and encouragement… but it’s also going to take more than one game to restore faith… unless we actually manage to outperform them, dominate them and get a really positive result…

can you even imagine that though? Not me…

Yet… this sport often throws up surprises and shocks… 🙏

If we just to decide to throw 10 men behind the ball or something, or just focus on defending and trying to nick a goal… that won’t encourage me much at all… even if we nick a point or 3…

We need Mings back though.. we are looking too weak, lightweight and easy to play through… the manager doesn’t help. At least pick the players in form and set them up right, we can’t catch vacate key areas and need to close those distance and be better on the ball. 

Passing the ball around at the back or at the base of midfield doesn’t equate to quality or effective possession… we need to actually create something and get into dangerous areas… AND NOT MORE STUPID AND AIMLESS CROSSING!

I fear that Arsenal are going to chase and harry us and we won’t be able to cope… meanwhile the manager…

spacer.png

Edited by Jas10

Three points tomorrow would put our season back on track points wise, but it's not going to happen is it? Last February we won our third successive game against Arsenal, but that seems a long time ago now and this looks very likely to be their third successive win against us since then. Our three wins against them between July 2020 and February last, followed 7 defeats on the trot (including that horrendous FA Cup Final capitulation). They scored 23 goals against us in those 7 games and sadly I'm anticipating more of the same tomorrow, against a team sitting on the top of the league, with a 100% win record. Shock me Villa (in a good way)! 

---------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash------Chambers-------Mings---------Digne

-----Iroegbunam----Kamara------Luiz-----------

Buendia-------------Watkins-------------Bailey

4-5-1 out of possession, sit in, nice and compact, hit them on the break

4-0 Arsenal 😅

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It feels inevitable that we end this week with three defeats, 5 out of 6 total played and SG sacked this time next week.

I cannot see any other outcome.

Sad but true, cricket score tonight and he might not even see the weekend. It was always a punt, I was sceptical but didn't think the wheels would come off quite so badly as they have. The AV manager curse strikes again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Sad but true, cricket score tonight and he might not even see the weekend. It was always a punt, I was sceptical but didn't think the wheels would come off quite so badly as they have. The AV manager curse strikes again.

Not a single manager has managed Aston Villa and gone on to something bigger/better at the end of it since Graham Taylor moving to become England manager in the early 90’s.

And in fact, for the majority of the Managers it’s actually pretty much killed their careers (in that capacity).

Shocker.

• Like 1

Based on our positional stats vs West Ham...

Martinez

---------------------Mings Young Augustinsson Digne

-------------------------Kamara

-------------------------------------McGinn Ramsey

--------------------------Coutinho Bailey

---------------------------------------Watkins

• Like 1
  • Haha 1