Jan Bednarek

Delphinho123

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I was going to say Maguire and Stones but that would make people upset.

The only thing that would upset me about you mentioning maguire is missing out slabhead, £75million and shite in that mention.

We already signed a £30m centre-back, it's just bad luck that he got injured, can't really be expected to sign someone as good as him as a replacement, like if we'd have signed a £30m upgrade on Watkins and Ings at the start of window and then that upgrade got a long-term injury I doubt anyone would be expecting that we would then be able to just go out and get yet another upgrade on Watkins and Ings.

Bednarek an upgrade on Hause, and truth be told probably an upgrade on Chambers who I think some have gotten carried away with, initially he was underrated when he first joined us but now has become perhaps overrated or rather overrated as a central defender, he's done pretty well in that position, but he's barely played ten games worth of football in that postion for us, and when you look at the oppositoin when he's played other than Man City it's been mid to lower table clubs, not trying to take anything away from him but seems way too early to be talking as if it's an outrage should Bednarek or Konsa be chosen ahead of him, I kind of still see him a s a very good utility player in the squad as much as anything else.

Based on more recent form Bednarek probably an upgrade on Konsa too, but I'm still hopeful that Konsa can get back to his best, he's still young, especially for a central defender, and has already proven that he can be very good, wasn't long back that Villa fans and fans of other clubs were talking about him as an England international, and there were worries that Liverpool might come in for him, he's been out of form, but that player he once was must still be there somewhere, can't just give up on a player because they're out of form.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t he look superb in his first season? Hasn’t quite made over 100 appearances yet. 

I guess point Im trying to make is if he is that bad. Why does he start everything for the past 4 years. 

Because Southampton are a budget team with one of the worst defences in the league usually, he was dropped last week and they won

His back 4 buddies Bertrand and Veastergaard have flopped at Leicester

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I guess but 15m is peanuts these days.  I’d rather we sign someone better than Bednerak but rather we signed Bednerak than nobody. Going in to the season with only Mings, Konsa and Chambers is very dangerous. 

Don't think it is for a club like us tbh. And it's £15m on top of the at least £60k-£100k he's going to want for salary. It's also £15m we don't have use of when we look for someone who is actually an upgrade next Summer or in Jan. For that position or somewhere else in the team.

I rather Bednarek than no one too, but for that money, or a bit more you could get real quality or potential if you do some actual scouting. 

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

Another nothing player who will apply a sticking plaster to the squad and who we will struggle to shift in 18 months time.

We just don’t seem to learn

He's a loan. I don't know if you noticed but we just lost our star CB. 

A sticking plaster is what is needed as the club don't know how Carlos will react to treatment at this time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

A sticking plaster is what is needed as the club don't know how Carlos will react to treatment at this time. 

I don’t know if I’m going mental myself but how can you accept the fact we lost our star CB and bednarak is the 6+ month long solution to that. We have a squad full of sticking plasters who were shipping off to turkey because no one else can afford or wants them. 

• Like 2

If we get him in on a loan deal with an option to buy (not an obligation) then I think that it is a reasonable addition but underwhelming.

Covers us for the year, gives us a chance to assess him and then if he's not good enough we can decline to buy him.

On the positive side he might help us defend set pieces. 

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Exactly. If it's a loan with an option to buy, then I don't think it's as bad as others are making it out to be. We lost our new CB and Hause wanted to play regularly. Bednarek fills that gap, and we can revisit the situation next summer.

Some of us can be overreactive at times. CB was not a pressing need until the Carlos injury. Why splash the cash on a big name CB when then next year we are probably going to have to shift one if Carlos comes back fine?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I don’t know if I’m going mental myself but how can you accept the fact we lost our star CB and bednarak is the 6+ month long solution to that. We have a squad full of sticking plasters who were shipping off to turkey because no one else can afford or wants them. 

We need cover for the year. The club are quite right to not just give up on a £30m investment without knowing the extent of the injury. 

A season long loan with option means we can just ship him back at the end of the year. He's desperately underwhelming but its the lateness of the hour that made the Carlos injury so galling. 

I don't think the club were ready to spunk loads on a defender, he's a stop gap till Carlos is back. Most likely pairing will be Chambers and Mings with Konsa and Bednarek as back up. 

Hopefully the funds are being lined up for another midfielder 

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I understand a sticking plaster to some point but a sticking plaster aids until Carlos is recovered.  This is cello tape covering where a plaster is supposed to be.  

You need to bring in somebody that’s reasonable to a level, yes I understand not Carlos level but this is like your Ferrari going into the garage for repairs and instead of getting a Merc, BMW as a temp car or something in that range you get a moped.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

We need cover for the year. The club are quite right to not just give up on a £30m investment without knowing the extent of the injury. 

A season long loan with option means we can just ship him back at the end of the year. He's desperately underwhelming but its the lateness of the hour that made the Carlos injury so galling. 

We had three weeks to get somebody in by the time the window shuts, that’s a long time. We weren’t in the final days of the transfer window. Most business is done in the final few weeks. 

7 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The defence is ok imo with or without carlos and bednarek.

We are desperate for a midfielder. Would much prefer we focus every effort on that

The defence looks pretty far from ok at this point. Not all of it is because of the players though.

11 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

How serious are the links btw. Does anyone know? 

After thinking about it furter, starting to warm to it if its only on loan. I guess we do need another cb as backup

Gregg Evans via Romano

40 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

How serious are the links btw. Does anyone know? 

After thinking about it furter, starting to warm to it if its only on loan. I guess we do need another cb as backup

Everyone saying "advanced" without providing much substance. Evans saying anything transfer related means little.

Â