Jan Bednarek

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

It does say something that Leicester are loaning Akanji from Dortmund to replace Fofana, and we're taking Bednarek who can't get into the Southampton team. 

We're going to need a big season from Calum Chambers and pray Mings stays fit.

Does it? Last I checked, we were not getting Bednarek. He's on the bench today and Gerrard said yesterday no deals were close.

• Confused 1

A bit of a strange one to be honest, on paper Bednarek is only 26 and has played 130 Premier League starts so if he's available on the cheap then it fixes a whole in our squad. However, there's still of a sense of being underwhelmed as although Bednarek would probably do a job I don't see him pushing the quality of our squad higher. He's always struck me as one of those forgettable bottom half Premier League defenders. 

I guess we often get drawn in by the names of foreign players at exotic clubs abroad who often turn out to be nowhere as good as hoped, so a guy who has a reasonable record in the PL already might not be too bad, particularly is Diego does return by the end of the season

• Like 1

Good bit of business if we can get it over the line. Loan with option to buy means we can reassess our CB options at the end of the season. Mings will have 1 year left on Contract. Chambers will have 2. We'll have an option on Bednarek and can decide on Konsa.

Given the situation losing our key CB signing after 2 games, they've done well here with Hause out on Loan and Bednarek in.

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The defence is ok imo with or without carlos and bednarek.

We are desperate for a midfielder. Would much prefer we focus every effort on that

Whilst I agree we need a new midfielder, we only have 3 fit senior CBs, one of whom has been one of the worst PL CBs in the last 12 months. 

3 minutes ago, sne said:

So much for ball playing CB being crucial for the Gerrard way of playing out from the back then?

This is my concern with it really. I agree with people saying that Bednarek obviously isn't completely useless, but even if we weren't getting a CB of the quality of Carlos to come in as a replacement I figured they'd at least try to get someone in that mirrored his skillset in some way in terms of being comfortable on the ball when pressed etc. As far as I'm aware this isn't what Bednarek offers at all as he's just more your out and out "solid" defender, so it just seems a bit counterintuitive.

• Like 2

Â