Jan Bednarek

Delphinho123

I've watched a lot of him. He is the old school, no nonsense defender. Yes, he makes a mistake, but what he does is clear the danger more often than not. We should not expect him to play it out from the back to create attacks, that's not what he does. 

If this was FM, he would have 3.5 stars. 

If we were to sign him, he would be a rotation player, probably would play most cup games. 

Problem with Bednarek is he is unlikely to improve, he hasn't improved over the last 2 seasons. He also needs a solid partner to play with him. He is vocal though, and likes to organise players.

He should not be a starter, but 15m is not a lot for a decent back up. He is better than House and would be pushing Konsa. 

Even if we were to get European football, he would be more than solid enough to challenge PSV or Besiksts in Europa League. 

Good buy. Uninspiring. But probably needed. 

I think he'll be reinvigorated by a fresh start. Seems the consensus is he doesn't fit this high line and high press Southampton system. He has decent enough passing stats and they are better in previous seasons. 

I'm sure the recruitment department have down their work and he fits the style of play we want to play.

They did superbly with Chambers for nearly free. I'll trust their judgement here

Really uninspiring signing (and screams panic buy after Carlos’ injury). Third choice CB for a bottom half of the league outfit. Of an age where any dramatic improvement is drastically unlikely.

The only good thing to say is he’s better than Hause. 

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

Really uninspiring signing (and screams panic buy after Carlos’ injury). Third choice CB for a bottom half of the league outfit. Of an age where any dramatic improvement is drastically unlikely.

The only good thing to say is he’s better than Hause. 

You sure he is third choice ? He played over 30 games last season and started both this season. He has played 120 games for them. 

This is the kind of squad signing centre half I expected. It’s why I mentioned Holding too. We wernt going to find a Carlos replacement at this stage of the window without paying ridiculous money. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That sounds like it was the managers call rather than the players.

Either way, his manager has deemed him not mentally right for a big cup game. The post I replied to said there’s “no behind the scenes drama with him” - that’s clearly not the case.

The stat that stands out to me most is his very high passing under pressure stat in last two seasons. 

Konsa has been the worst in the league at this for last two seasons. So in the building from the back this is certainly an improvement over Konsa. 

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Jeez, we are going backwards if fans are thinking Holding or Bednarek are good signings.  Bednarek wouldn’t be coming in as backup in a WC year.

No he wouldn’t. No player should be coming in as backup. He will be fighting for a first team place.

We need different defenders for different games. If we are playing teams who won't press us they'll give us possession so playing out from the back is easy for any of our CBs. Those teams will usually target us via set pieces and crosses into the box.

Mings is very quick for a CB and is very dominant aerially and is a good all-round defender. Konsa if old is similar with less pace. They're the options for teams like Burnley last season etc..

But when we play high press teams need press resistant players. So a Carlos and Bednarek would be perfect for Arsenal or City.

Adapting who we play for the opposition we are playing is what a big talented squad is all about 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No he wouldn’t. No player should be coming in as backup. He will be fighting for a first team place.

Which as I said shows we are going backwards.  He shouldn’t be close to our first XI or Holding, not if we have hopes of a top 10 league placing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Which as I said shows we are going backwards.  He shouldn’t be close to our first XI or Holding, not if we have hopes of a top 10 league placing.

True but we will still have 4 better centre halves than last season. Standing still rather than going backwards.

16 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Jeez, I wish people would stop moaning....

Bednarek looks a solid signing, perhaps he would look better at Villa than Saints?

He has 42 caps for a very good Polish team at 26 I'd argue he would improve his game.

I think it's a good signing. But I'm polish, and one thing I can tell you is that is not a very good team. One of the issues we have is that we don't do quick small space passing. Bednarek can't do it either. He has so many caps because we have no one better (other than 2nd Italian division 85 year old Glik). 

It seems to me our game needs to be based on that passing style, that's what buendia/Coutinho/Doug/Kamara do.

But I'm open to seeing him in a Villa shirt!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think it's a good signing. But I'm polish, and one thing I can tell you is that is not a very good team. One of the issues we have is that we don't do quick small space passing. Bednarek can't do it either. He has so many caps because we have no one better (other than 2nd Italian division 85 year old Glik). 

It seems to me our game needs to be based on that passing style, that's what buendia/Coutinho/Doug/Kamara do.

But I'm open to seeing him in a Villa shirt!

It's clear the type of players signed are experienced and technically good on the ball. Bednarek for example is better passing and passing under pressure than Mings Konsa and Chambers.

We need to build from the back and beat the opposition press to be able to win games against the top teams. We need to break down opposition low blocks against the bottom teams. 

Â