Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

VillaTalk pre team announcement

Hope he plays a strong team

VillaTalk post team announcement

meltdown for playing a strong team 

No I didn't want a strong team. The squad is more than capable of getting the job done. That's twice I've heard this now and it's just not true 

I think Archer and Iroegbunam are going to be loaned out, so maybe an element of not wanting to risk them getting injured and ruining their moves.

Feeney perhaps could have started though, as he's in that strange postion where he's probably too young for a loan, but good enougth to play for us in one off games like this one.

Strong team to try and get them some confidene and a message that we're taking the cups very seriously this year.

I assume he's also hoping that some of the out of form and misfiring stars might get a bit of confidence with a win and perhaps a goal or assist in a dominant performance against a vastly inferior opponent.

Might work, might misfire. 

Just now, duke313 said:

The managers you’ve mentioned don’t change their systems because they work. Ours doesn’t. You could bet your mortgage if Klopp’s system didn’t work, he’d change it.

I agree ours doesn't work with what we have, I don't think the full backs are good enough and Buendia/Coutinho aren't suited to it at all. 

Klopp wouldn't change system/style though and Pep didn't either, they both struggled at first but they removed the players that they didn't want and signed players who they thought could fit the system. 

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

It's the midfield I would like us to start in the PL but

But why not start Archer, Olsen and Augustinsson?

I didnt see Augustinsson even in the squad which is weird. Maybe I missed him.

from the club site
https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/august/23/team-news/

hope he isnt injured.
----------------

Aston Villa: Martínez, A.Young, Chambers, Digne, Mings, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Coutinho, Ings, Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Cash, Iroegbunam, Buendia, Archer, Bailey, Konsa, Ramsey, Feeney.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’d expect us to beat Bolton (no disrespect) with whatever team we put out. That’s why it’s disappointing not to see Tim or Archer start. Early cup rounds are exactly the times to blood these lads. I get it though, the pressure is massive and he needs to get his team playing quick. Let’s just hope that we can be comfortably ahead by 60mins and then use the subs. 

This is the equivalent of playing the same team on FIFA but changing the difficulty to easy mode to get a win. Then getting beat when you change it back to hard mode.

• Haha 1

Boring or what. Basically the only time in the season where you get to see the youth/fringe players get a run out. Just how many players is Gerrard planning on marginalising before he gets sacked next month?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Disgraceful that Tim & Archer don't start.

It’s embarrassing. If they can’t get a start against pissing Bolton we may as well loan them both out. 

Ridiculous.  

We can but hope Gerrard uses this to experiment with 2 DMs. Having Luiz and Kamara in the team makes it at least possible to switch.

• Like 1