Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Just now, Mantis said:

I didn't expect (nor want) the B team, but it would've been nice to see some of the youngsters. Instead McGinn starts once again.

Here's a glimmer of light for you.

Maybe the tactic is to play him here, and drop him in the League.

Then SG can roll out the " I wanted to give Ginny a rest, as he worked ever so hard against Bolton, we want to protect him "

Kill too birds with one stone, McGinn no longer starts all the time in the League, AND BOOM becomes a cup hero.

Everybody's happy

lol... one can fantasise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was looking forward to seeing the youth and archer and still getting the job done comfortably. Honest to **** what's the point. 0-6 should be a par score.

Gerrard can't beat Bolton without 2 30m strikers and a full strength midfield of internationals  that's the power of his tactical acumen and system.

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Why not change the bloody system then, same crap every time.

Because this is the system he uses, managers don't change their systems much at all.

Tuchel uses a 3-4-3, Klopp uses 4-3-3. Gerrard likes this narrow 4-3-3/4-3-1-2, it's not working but I don't expect him to switch system, he's been trying to sign players that fit this way of playing (whatever that is).

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’ve said something along these lines. I’ve also just said I understand why he’s not played Tim. It’s absolutely desperate we’re having to use a game against Bolton to try and make something click. Same formation, Mcginn still playing. At least chambers finally gets a start but I wouldn’t be surprised if Konsas back at the weekend. 

Hopefully the plan is to put it to bed early, and then bring on the kids to coast and finish the job?

The kids are usually well fired up for these types of games!

• Like 1

He needs a result,  that's the only reason for playing a lineup as strong as that against a league one side who have nobody of any real quality. 

Villa,  with the money spent by these owners over the last few years and,  with the strength of our academy,  should be able to go to Bolton in our first cup game of the season and be able to bench at least 6 or 7 of our best 11.it shows his desperation. It will certainly come back to bite him on the arse if any of Kamara,  Martinez,  Digne,  Mings,  Watkins,  Ings get injured. 

Does the fact Cash isn't playing mean that he knows he has to keep him fit because of lack of depth? If so, why loan out Kesler-Hayden? 

That starting lineup tonight should have been something like:

Olsen, Young, Feeney, Chambers, Augustinsson, Iroegbunam, Luiz, Sanson, Coutinho, Archer, Ings. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I would have been okay with it to be honest, give Sanson a a few others a run. Shows Gerrard ain't shitting it too!

Sanson is clearly finished at Villa. It's just a case of where he goes now.

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Because this is the system he uses, managers don't change their systems much at all.

Tuchel uses a 3-4-3, Klopp uses 4-3-3. Gerrard likes this narrow 4-3-3/4-3-1-2, it's not working but I don't expect him to switch system, he's been trying to sign players that fit this way of playing (whatever that is).

He has no back up to his system because that relies on wings backs getting forward and he's loaned out our back up right wing back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

The managers you’ve mentioned don’t change their systems because they work. Ours doesn’t. You could bet your mortgage if Klopp’s system didn’t work, he’d change it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hopefully the plan is to put it to bed early, and then bring on the kids to coast and finish the job?

The kids are usually well fired up for these types of games!

Thats what i hope.  Good to see chambers and luiz get game time. Would have liked archer to ahve started this one tbh. I dont think he needed to play ings and watkins 

16 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Weak team = he dont care

Strong team = he's panicking

Can't really win can he

He is proving that consistently tbf

Ah! - its been done🤣

Edited by Corleone
  • Haha 1

I’d expect us to beat Bolton (no disrespect) with whatever team we put out. That’s why it’s disappointing not to see Tim or Archer start. Early cup rounds are exactly the times to blood these lads. I get it though, the pressure is massive and he needs to get his team playing quick. Let’s just hope that we can be comfortably ahead by 60mins and then use the subs. 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here's a glimmer of light for you.

Maybe the tactic is to play him here, and drop him in the League.

Then SG can roll out the " I wanted to give Ginny a rest, as he worked ever so hard against Bolton, we want to protect him "

Kill too birds with one stone, McGinn no longer starts all the time in the League, AND BOOM becomes a cup hero.

Everybody's happy

lol... one can fantasise

If that's the case then fine, but I won't hold my breath, especially when so many of our obvious starters on Sunday are also starting tonight.