Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It makes the assumption that everything after that incident would have unfolded exactly as it did.

If Hawkeye failed in the last game of the season towards the end of the game, then fair enough. We were saved by hawkeye.

But it happened in the first half of a game we drew with about 12 games left.

Completely agree. Also this is one of those things that always annoys me in general. Like when a match is 0-0 and a a striker has missed 3 chances and the commentator says something like "he should have a hat-trick", just (wrongly) assuming everything would have happened exactly the same after 1 goal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Completely agree. Also this is one of those things that always annoys me in general. Like when a match is 0-0 and a a striker has missed 3 chances and the commentator says something like "he should have a hat-trick", just (wrongly) assuming everything would have happened exactly the same after 1 goal.

Yeah same. it's always bugged me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Nobody is saying it shouldn't be discussed, or that it wasn't notable, or that it isn't memorable for other fans, or that it wasn't interesting. Nobody is annoyed that it's being discussed,

All anyone is saying is that it isn't the reason we stayed up. The things you said that are "factually true" are absolutely not factually true.

so why isn’t that 1 point factually the reason we stayed up?

so just 34 points are factual points but not that one isn’t? 

All 35 points kept us factually up, but that sheff united one is the one with a big story. 

the biggest story, that ties to our one point survival nicely, without being incorrect 

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

so just 34 points are factual points but not that one isn’t? 

All 35 points kept us factually up, but that sheff united one is the one with a big story. 

the biggest story, that ties to our one point survival nicely, without being incorrect 

that's been answered numerous times, you're just choosing not to acknowledge it. which is of course your prerogative, but there have been numerous reasons provided not just on this thread but numerous other discussions. if you're not convinced now, you're not going to be, just like you'll never convince us that think it wasn't the reason we stayed up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

that's been answered numerous times, you're just choosing not to acknowledge it. which is of course your prerogative, but there have been numerous reasons provided not just on this thread but numerous other discussions. if you're not convinced now, you're not going to be, just like you'll never convince us that think it wasn't the reason we stayed up.

You guys don’t want it to be perceived to being the sole reason why we stayed up. I get that, and I get that because there’s an other 34 points, as I stated the arsenal win and the final draw are just as important story beats. 

but I feel you guys dismissing this video over that short soundbite a bit (forgive me) petty. he chose the most notable story to summarise that season in a small sound bite and moves on quickly. It’s a good video overall. 

41 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Every point we gained that season kept us up.

That point contributed as much as any other. But if we hadn't got that point we might have had a kick up the arse and won the next 3 in a row. In which case that point wouldn't have mattered. Or we might have gone on a 10 game losing streak and finished bottom.

If everything for the rest of the season had unfolded exactly as it did EXCEPT that goal counted, then you are correct. Otherwise you are not correct.

20 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

You guys don’t want it to be perceived to being the sole reason why we stayed up. I get that, and I get that because there’s an other 34 points, as I stated the arsenal win and the final draw are just as important story beats. 

but I feel you guys dismissing this video over that short soundbite a bit (forgive me) petty. he chose the most notable story to summarise that season in a small sound bite and moves on quickly. It’s a good video overall. 

to be honest even until that point i wasn't being told anything i didn't already know. if i was genuinely enthralled until that point i'd have probably kept on watching. it was a good enough reason to just turn it off for me.

45 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Again nobody is saying it isn't a big story. Nobody is saying it didn't contribute to our survival because it obviously did.

All anyone is saying is that we didn't stay up BECAUSE hawkeye failed. If that goal had stood anything could have happened. We could have won that game 2-1 and then got complacenet and lost every other game and gone down. Or we could have lost 6-0, got a kick up the arse and won every game for the rest of the season.

It's like saying it's a FACT that if Arsenal had been 1 point behind Man City going into the final day they'd have won the league because they hammered Wolves and City lost to Brentford. 

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again nobody is saying it isn't a big story. Nobody is saying it didn't contribute to our survival because it obviously did.

All anyone is saying is that we didn't stay up BECAUSE hawkeye failed. If that goal had stood anything could have happened. We could have won that game 2-1 and then got complacenet and lost every other game and gone down. Or we could have lost 6-0, got a kick up the arse and won every game for the rest of the season.

It's like saying it's a FACT that if Arsenal had been 1 point behind Man City going into the final day they'd have won the league because they hammered Wolves and City lost to Brentford. 

We stayed up by 1 point, nominate any of the 35 earned in that season to be that “one point” for a story. 

he chose the notable one, rather than the traditional last one. 

The scoffing to him choosing that is petty (imo) much like any football fan scoffing at anything truthfully negative about their team is petty. Hawkeye failing happened and we were fortunate that it wasn’t a “goal” for that game and for the rest of that season (as different it may or may not have been)

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d73rkd5by4mgufqjrqln

It is embarrassing to me, yet I’m grateful for the good fortune that hawkeye was turned off on that day.  

Thanks for your patience gents, but I can’t or bothered to say anything more on this subject. Just different POVs

Look guys, remember the previous game when we played Sheffield United at Villa Park, they were 3-0 up with about 10 minutes left - how did that finish again? Actually I can’t quite recall. But presumably it was a nailed on victory for the blades. 

So as Sheffield United saw out that 3-0 win in their previous trip to Villa Park, it stands to reason that they’d definitely see out out a 1-0 with 50 minutes left of the game. Guaranteed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We stayed up by 1 point, nominate any of the 35 earned in that season to be that “one point” for a story. 

he chose the notable one, rather than the traditional last one. 

The scoffing to him choosing that is petty (imo) much like any football fan scoffing at anything truthfully negative about their team is petty. Hawkeye failing happened and we were fortunate that it wasn’t a “goal” for that game and for the rest of that season (as different it may or may not have been)

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d73rkd5by4mgufqjrqln

It is embarrassing to me, yet I’m grateful for the good fortune that hawkeye was turned off on that day.  

Thanks for your patience gents, but I can’t or bothered to say anything more on this subject. Just different POVs

You’re either completely missing the point or you’re being deliberately obtuse. I refuse to believe you’re this dim

On 19/07/2023 at 12:00, QldVilla said:

I don’t like the TIFO stuff, seems to be an apparent smugness with everything they do and they know more than everyone else.

To say they know more than Emery and his team, just reflects their own failings.

The problem is, its all opinions, and some folk take that as fact....Particularly when paid operators splurge it out in a trained media way.

Its also notable to me, that they try to make the simpliest of things complicated, in order to promote their perceived knowledge of the game.

I still subscribe to the theory that football is a simple game.

I think Neil and Paddy are pretty down to earth Podcasters.....Gregg for me is a bit condescending.....I like Luke Robinson UTV podcast too, for sheer passion and effervescence.

Long gone are the days of Leon Hickman below( Birmingham Mail )  or one of the best football writers of all in Hugh McIlvanney( the times).....whose works was captivating and educating.

Leon Hickman.webp

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The problem is, its all opinions, and some folk take that as fact....Particularly when paid operators splurge it out in a trained media way.

Its also notable to me, that they try to make the simpliest of things complicated, in order to promote their perceived knowledge of the game.

I still subscribe to the theory that football is a simple game.

I think Neil and Paddy are pretty down to earth Podcasters.....Gregg for me is a bit condescending.....I like Luke Robinson UTV podcast too, for sheer passion and effervescence.

Long gone are the days of Leon Hickman below( Birmingham Mail )  or one of the best football writers of all in Hugh McIlvanney( the times).....whose works was captivating and educating.

Leon Hickman.webp

I agree. Most of the Villa podcasts are on constant play to and from work in my car and makes it far easier than scrolling through football magazines and the internet to try and find news on the club like the old days. Well our old days anyway…

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

The Hawkeye thing was a clear error that we were lucky to benefit from.

However there was as another clear error at Crystal Palace earlier in the season that we didn’t benefit from.

Shall we talk about that? Or any of a number of errors that swing one way or the other during a season.

This will be used to suit people’s narrative until the end of football and we have to put up with it.

It doesn’t mean it’s correct no matter how many people bring it up.

This 100%

It’s overblown… there was still plenty of time left in the game. No one can say what the result would have been or how the season would have gone afterwards…

Stupid for anyone to say that decision or error is what “kept us up”. One game or decision doesn’t decide a whole season!

Tbf to Dean, he deserves a lot of credit for how he found a way to get what was a weak/poor squad to produce performances and results that saved us during Covid times, lockdown… Trez’s goals saved us too, Luiz played so well… we beat teams like Arsenal… shouldn’t be glossed over…

My memory’s a little hazy… but we did what we needed to do…

And yeah, we scored a legitimate goal against Palace that shouldn’t have been ruled out along with many other questionable decisions…

That rat Fernandez stepping on Konsa’s leg and getting a penalty…

The fact is, we’ve been on the wrong end of many wrong and bad decisions for the vast majority of time compared to any that went our way…

I’d be more inclined to go along with the old sayings such as the league table doesn’t lie, you end up where you deserve over/after the course of a whole season etc.

It’s just something for opposition fans to jump on and use against us cos of all this stupid tribal hatred and rivalry…

Focus on your own club/team…

• Like 1

Dan Bardell  has Gregg Evans on today's 1874 Podcast again today...  Gregg admitted that he never watches Villa's friendlies.  Imagine having a job where you follow one club and write about it a couple of times a month, and you aren't even bothered to watch matches that the team is playing.  So glad this waster is fooking off to phone it in for Liverpool now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Dan Bardell  has Gregg Evans on today's 1874 Podcast again today...  Gregg admitted that he never watches Villa's friendlies.  Imagine having a job where you follow one club and write about it a couple of times a month, and you aren't even bothered to watch matches that the team is playing.  So glad this waster is fooking off to phone it in for Liverpool now. 

Came on here to write the very same thing. Freaking embarrassing. Don't understand why Bardell is so attached to this fraud.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Came on here to write the very same thing. Freaking embarrassing. Don't understand why Bardell is so attached to this fraud.  

I listened and thought (and think) the same.

Â