Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

So Gregg Evans has announced that he and Dan Bardell will no longer be doing The 1874 Podcast from The Athletic this season.

I don't subscribe to The Athletic proper but I do listen to their podcasts. It's a massive shame to see them cut 1874 as it was a decent podcast that focuses entirely on Villa. 

They're saying they'll do more Villa content on the now 4x Weekly standard Football Podcast but I'm not interested in listening 4x a week for maybe a 5 minute section.

(Frustratingly Leeds, Newcastle and The Sky 6 all keep their individual club podcasts too).

Got me thinking, I need a replacement. What's the best Villa Podcast out there that you listen to?

Also, Greggs Villa content on The Athletic had been lacking for a while... Do we think they're maybe moving away from having a specific journo for each club and focusing their efforts?

Or maybe Gregg is being cut loose and a newbie will join them, doesn't appear to be much coming from him lately

• Like 1

Villa View and For the love of Paul McGrath are the two. I liked 1874 too so shame it's gone. 

I also started listening to The Villa Park Podcast which I have liked.

The Canadian chap does his YouTube videos too. The Holy Trinity which can be good or he can be annoying.

Then there's Claret and Blue and UTV if ya just want to binge yourself on them all when we beat United.

But Villa View and For the Love of Paul McGrath are the best two in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

I gave up on that one a long time ago. Thought it was pretty weak and they didn't work particularly well as a pairing. 

My Old Man Said is the only one I regularly listen to. It has its flaws, Chris Budd's constant interjections, David Michael's cringe inducing mispronunciations, but all in all it's a pretty solid pod and once they get into their flow and get the lame jokes out of their system they are actually capable of offering decent analysis.

I fast forward MOMS about 15 minutes, avoids all the nonsense and then there's some good Villa chat.

1874 was absolutely dire. Greg has roughly the same enthusiasm and knowledge of Villa as my girlfriend (none). Listening to him moan on is a chore.

In the Villa View season review on YouTube there's a kid on there along with two other "experts". He came across so well - articulate, thorough and clearly studied Villa and the game intensely. Not sure his name but if he did a pod I'd listen often!

• Like 1

Villa talks with Omar is great although not that frequent (which is fine we all have lives)
For the Love of Paul Mgrath podcats is my current fave. Great community and Neil & Paddy are excellent hosts.
Villaview I will always watch. Dan Bardell is class.
UTV with Luke & crew is also great.

• Like 1

Most entertaining - the Villa podcast. Hilarious Irish lads, lot of swearing though.

Everyone’s already mentioned the obvious ones.

There’s Holtecast too and Gather Round the Lamp.

1874 was the worst imo. Every other one is better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Most entertaining - the Villa podcast. Hilarious Irish lads, lot of swearing though.

Everyone’s already mentioned the obvious ones.

There’s Holtecast too and Gather Round the Lamp.

1874 was the worst imo. Every other one is better.

I second the villa podcast. love it. very coarse though - not for the lighhearted lol. they have no problem calling the players out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I can whole heartedly recommend For the love of paul mcgrath podcast and luke robinsons podcast.

Yeah I like them.

Always put them on on YouTube while I'm running around the house doing things 

Claret and Blue with Rolinson and Kendrick is ok as well.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Villa talks with Omar is great although not that frequent (which is fine we all have lives)
For the Love of Paul Mgrath podcats is my current fave. Great community and Neil & Paddy are excellent hosts.

They haven't done one for ages it seems.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Neil is.a machine. Content out exactly when something happens. His loan watch reviews over the summer were so good for an off season podcast. He's peerless in his work rate 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I haven't laughed so hard in ages when they started to talk about one of baileys late introductions....

"He looked so lost, looked like a baby on a tricycle who suddenly found himself on a slip road to spaghetti junction....'how the hell have i got here'!"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

'Claret and blue' is decent when mat kendrick is on.

Forgot about them! Yeah tbh I really like Ashley Preece when he is on. I like mat and dan fine but they do tend to waffle on about things that dont interest me, like how popular their podcast is or what mat kendrick likes to eat. 

• Like 1

Up the Villa is a good one with some knowledgable guests but the host is a little too positive at times though its hard to dislike him

Holy Trinity is quite irritating and is one I no longer watch

Season preview on Claret and Blue had a guy on with Kendrick who has potential, would watch it again if he was on it. Rollinson and Preece are OK but not really entertaining and Preece really needs to learn to speak slower if he wants to get more mainstream. Not sure if its nerves but can imagine its difficult for foreign Villa fans to understand him

• Like 1

Â