Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

15 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I really like Tanswell’s content and contributions, he’s very insightful and sees what we see. Ive stopped listening to the 1874 podcast as much now because I can’t stand hearing Gregg chatting shit in his half-arsed way. He’s harming Dan Bardell’s credibility in my view. 

I don't get why Bardell is so popular myself. He used to a decent podcast with a Villa fan who lives in Germany (who I thought was the better presenter personally) but think he was binned off 

12 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I don't get why Bardell is so popular myself. He used to a decent podcast with a Villa fan who lives in Germany (who I thought was the better presenter personally) but think he was binned off 

Person your on about Tom Julian took up a job working for the Bundesliga and was contractually not allowed to work on the podcast no more hence the sudden departure. Bardell explained this when he was on the Claret and Blue podcast last summer explaining the change from The Villa View to 1874 podcast.

Noticed Tanswell has featured more often recently on there. Really enjoying his pieces this season and listening to him on the podcast. Be interesting if the The Athletic take Evans off Villa completely next season in which wouldn't really need to see him on the podcast then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Evans is on Dan’s podcasts so much because Dan really likes having him on and gets a self perceived (and possible real) profile raise through associating with him, a ‘real’ journalist. Gregg probably did a fair bit to help raise Dan’s profile and get him more work in the media. Which is great for him and I can understand him being thankful of that. However, I still don’t want to listen to Gregg and think he should be ditched now that the podcast isn’t run through the Athletic and also given Gregg was ‘promoted’ to cover Liverpool. 

Yeah he’s got history with Villa but he couldn’t even be bothered to prepare his stories from being Villa reporter, in the segment Dan tried to introduce. 

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

I think Evans is on Dan’s podcasts so much because Dan really likes having him on and gets a self perceived (and possible real) profile raise through associating with him, a ‘real’ journalist. Gregg probably did a fair bit to help raise Dan’s profile and get him more work in the media. Which is great for him and I can understand him being thankful of that. However, I still don’t want to listen to Gregg and think he should be ditched now that the podcast isn’t run through the Athletic and also given Gregg was ‘promoted’ to cover Liverpool. 

Yeah he’s got history with Villa but he couldn’t even be bothered to prepare his stories from being Villa reporter, in the segment Dan tried to introduce. 

It also seems entirely possible that they just kind of get on well, and don't mind doing them together?

My Ratings out of 10 :

For the love of Paul McGrath

• Neil     8
  • Paddy 8 ( calls a game, like it is....not afraid to be critical)

Claret & Blue

• Dan 7
  • John 8
  • Matt 6....distracted too much and talks about himself, too often..self indulgent.

The Villa Park Podcast

• Rich 8
  • Kev 8
  • George 6
  • Martin 5
  • Sam 7
  • Gareth ( Analytics) 8

The Holy Trinity show

Pete 9 ( Slick presentation)

UTV Podcast

• Luke 9 ( calls a game,how it is)
  • Justin 7 ( follows Luke a bit too much, for me)
  • Ryan 7
  • Hannah 6

All Villa -  No Filler

Frankie Maguire  6 ( Monotone)

but we have to remember, its all opinions....and we have ours.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

My Ratings out of 10 :

For the love of Paul McGrath

• Neil     8
  • Paddy 8 ( calls a game, like it is....not afraid to be critical)

Claret & Blue

• Dan 7
  • John 8
  • Matt 6....distracted too much and talks about himself, too often..self indulgent.

The Villa Park Podcast

• Rich 8
  • Kev 8
  • George 6
  • Martin 5
  • Sam 7
  • Gareth ( Analytics) 8

The Holy Trinity show

Pete 9 ( Slick presentation)

UTV Podcast

• Luke 9 ( calls a game,how it is)
  • Justin 7 ( follows Luke a bit too much, for me)
  • Ryan 7
  • Hannah 6

All Villa -  No Filler

Frankie Maguire  6 ( Monotone)

but we have to remember, its all opinions....and we have ours.

I haven't listened/watched some of these but you can't go far wrong with FTLOM and Holy Trinity show.

I especially love Pete's dark sense of humour. There was a previous section where he would show a plane on route to Europe, and every time we won the plane would get closer and closer to the destination.

But I remember one particular episode where after a disastrous period he had the plane crashing in a ball of flames. I dunno why but it tickled me.

Edited by TreeVillan

21 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I really like Tanswell’s content and contributions, he’s very insightful and sees what we see. Ive stopped listening to the 1874 podcast as much now because I can’t stand hearing Gregg chatting shit in his half-arsed way. He’s harming Dan Bardell’s credibility in my view. 

I have to echo this. I unsubscribed from all things Dan Bardell purely down to that Greg fella turning up. Can't stand hearing his voice.

I focus on MOMs and The Villa Podcast. I haven't heard anything better than those two.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

I have to echo this. I unsubscribed from all things Dan Bardell purely down to that Greg fella turning up. Can't stand hearing his voice.

I focus on MOMs and The Villa Podcast. I haven't heard anything better than those two.

I switch off, when it starts becoming a pals discussion of how they are and where've they been. I 'm not really interested in Greg being a Golfer, or his new baby.

Some of the podcasters, can learn a thing from Pete ( Holy Trinity Show) stick to the script. I want to know about Aston Villa not them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I haven't listened/watched some of these but you can't go far wrong with FTLOM and Holy Trinity show.

I especially love Pete's dark sense of humour. There was a previous section where he would show a plane on route to Europe, and every time we won the plane would get closer and closer to the destination.

But I remember one particular episode where after a disastrous period he had the plane crashing in a ball of flames. I dunno why but it tickled me.

Oh you can, he is awful and some of the stuff he came out with a few seasons back he felt like a club puppet

Havent watched him since then

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Oh you can, he is awful and some of the stuff he came out with a few seasons back he felt like a club puppet

Havent watched him since then

I don't get the puppet vibe from him myself but fair enough 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I also hate people that say “listen” at the start of each sentence. Gregg does it, and it makes me even more irritated by him. 

No one worse than this pair for that

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 19/02/2024 at 18:35, It's Your Round said:

Tanswell is often on 1874 (when it’s best) and Dave Reed from time to time, it’s not always Evans on there. 

I preferred the Villa View and views of actual fans who were passionate about the club than the more journalistic approach Dan is now taking… people like Dolan and Bracey were more enjoyable to listen to imo…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

If it makes you feel any better knowing what you’ve missed, Greg now talks about Liverpool multiple times every week. 

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Tanswell is often on 1874 (when it’s best) and Dave Reed from time to time, it’s not always Evans on there. 

I preferred the Villa View and views of actual fans who were passionate about the club than the more journalistic approach Dan is now taking… people like Dolan and Bracey were more enjoyable to listen to imo…

I do listen to the shows with Jacob and Dave, and still some with Evans but I always regret it soon after. 

Â