Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

To any of the podcasters who stumble across this post

please stop repeatedly telling us what segments are happening and that "we will get to that later".  just say it at the start and get rolling

it is quite distracting to continually have them stop the conversation to caveat something

pedantic yes

I like all of them. FTLOPM may be my favourite at the moment. I would like a bit more in depth analysis on all of them - can often get stuck in "things were just great" circles.

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but it felt like the most relevant place to put it.

Just appreciated the credit that Emery and Villa got here, especially as given that most of the stuff I watch/listen to reacted to the game by discussing either mostly Brighton or where Watkins or Ramsey could move to next which was a bit grim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but it felt like the most relevant place to put it.

Just appreciated the credit that Emery and Villa got here, especially as given that most of the stuff I watch/listen to reacted to the game by discussing either mostly Brighton or where Watkins or Ramsey could move to next which was a bit grim.

These 2 talk over each other too much and it gets annoying at times. Decent pod otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to credit this season entirely on the fact Gregg Evans no longer writes whatever negative, cliché article he can get away with submitting whilst still keeping his job. But it is nice to be having a good season and our The Athletic writer actually acknowledging that in a way that comes across as though he's genuinely enjoying it. I almost felt sorry for Gregg when we were winning as he had to admit we were a good side with good players and a good manager. 

• Like 4

The Athletic have done a podcast on Emery after a year and there's so many things in it that wound me up it's too long to list, I'd be writing a long-form article in response to it. Adam Crafton and Gregg Evans as the people on the pod to talk about Emery seems a bad choice right off the bat, a tiny bit of pre-recorded info given by Jacob Tanswell, lots of misinformed commentary on how he's doing at the club before moving onto when Villa will sell their best players due to the financial problems and FFP (??!) And Unai Emery having one eye on his next job and where that would be. He's too good for Villa and not good enough for Arsenal or PSG so where will he go? And Gregg throws out Real Madrid or Barcelona casually as clubs he hasn't managed. 

Both of them mention Cash as one of our best players we might need to sell whilst the fan base argue whether we need to upgrade on him in that position.

• Confused 1

It's gone downhill massively in a year, all the best pods have been taken off the platform which is the only reason I renewed for a year at a cut price after initially cancelling. There's no point anymore listening to the pods on their app as it's really poor generally and they also spam adverts for themselves on it. 

TIFO and Football Clichés are two great podcasts, one is unrecognisable and the other is not on the athletic. They were quirky and unique in the saturated market but The Athletic clearly felt they needed to go more beige with their output. 

I think Jacob is a great addition from a Villa perspective and Ayo Akinwolere is a good host for the regular pods, alongside Adam Leventhal who's already been there ages. That's kind of where the positives end for me though. 

With them being bought by the NYT and you can get all their content for free through a subscription to that website now instead, I think the drop off in subscribers is going to be way more dramatic than they're anticipating 

Edited by skarroki

18 hours ago, skarroki said:

The Athletic have done a podcast on Emery after a year and there's so many things in it that wound me up it's too long to list, I'd be writing a long-form article in response to it. Adam Crafton and Gregg Evans as the people on the pod to talk about Emery seems a bad choice right off the bat, a tiny bit of pre-recorded info given by Jacob Tanswell, lots of misinformed commentary on how he's doing at the club before moving onto when Villa will sell their best players due to the financial problems and FFP (??!) And Unai Emery having one eye on his next job and where that would be. He's too good for Villa and not good enough for Arsenal or PSG so where will he go? And Gregg throws out Real Madrid or Barcelona casually as clubs he hasn't managed. 

Both of them mention Cash as one of our best players we might need to sell whilst the fan base argue whether we need to upgrade on him in that position.

Said in the Media thread. Tifo and Athletic have it out for us for some reason. I have a feeling some editor is either a mate of Gerrard or is a big Liverpool fan so seems to discredit everything we do

• Like 1

Didn't realise it was Evans on that pod. Hadn't listened yet but deleted it now. Prick.

Crafton also doesn't like us. He couldn't understand the Grealish furore around the last Euros and decided he couldn't be that good as he was a Villa player.

Jacob is a great addition from a Villa perspective

Agree.

Ayo Akinwolere is a good host for the regular pod

Disagree. I think he's really poor.

• Like 1

We're selling our best academy kids to balance the books and I think it's fair to raise the point that Emery will be catching the eye even more so now we are pushing the top 4.

I think it's a very realistic worry that Emery will get poached which I suppose is why the club have given him such power at the club.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We're selling our best academy kids to balance the books and I think it's fair to raise the point that Emery will be catching the eye even more so now we are pushing the top 4.

I think it's a very realistic worry that Emery will get poached which I suppose is why the club have given him such power at the club.

I don't really have a problem with that. I don't think the media outlets hold the power they used to so when people say the players and managers are being touted around, like Richards was with Grealish for example, it doesn't really bother me. 

It does bother me when the podcast seems to be doing gymnastics to try and praise Emery and talk of him moving on to bigger and better, whilst also saying he fails at every big club he goes to. Gregg saying he's not good enough for the likes of Arsenal and PSG whilst also saying he'll have his eyes on the Real Madrid or Barcelona jobs. 

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Everyone has to sell to balance the books. Man City sold Cole Palmer for £40 million.  Chelsea have sold multiple youngsters. Arsenal sold Balogun for £30 million after he hit 21 goals in Ligue 1. Everyone sells their youngsters who aren't ready for the step up. 

20 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I don't really have a problem with that. I don't think the media outlets hold the power they used to so when people say the players and managers are being touted around, like Richards was with Grealish for example, it doesn't really bother me. 

It does bother me when the podcast seems to be doing gymnastics to try and praise Emery and talk of him moving on to bigger and better, whilst also saying he fails at every big club he goes to. Gregg saying he's not good enough for the likes of Arsenal and PSG whilst also saying he'll have his eyes on the Real Madrid or Barcelona jobs. 

The thing with Gregg is he is hilariously smug for a guy with absolute no knowledge

New guy has already wiped the floor with him

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The thing with Gregg is he is hilariously smug for a guy with absolute no knowledge

New guy has already wiped the floor with him

I don't know why but I feel like he's also at pains to make it clear to anyone reading or listening that reporting on Villa is a job and he's not a fan. Which is absolutely fine, happens all the time and Jacob is the same. But he makes it clear whilst simultaneously refusing to outright say it or say who he does follow. Everyone knows Jacob was with Southampton before, Tim Speirs covers Spurs and supports Wolves, Matt Davies-Adams covers the lower leagues but is a big Forest fan and also works on Chelsea commentary and podcasts. It's never a problem for other people in the same sphere to say who they follow but it's like a big, badly kept secret for Gregg. Which leaves me to assume he's a bluenose because why else would you be so quiet. 

The last straw for me was him saying he'd been promoted by going on to cover Liverpool now (by the way still waiting for that "promotion" to kick in). I just wish there was more humility and I'd like him a lot more, it's a lot of people's dream job what he's doing, and he behaves like it's a bit of a chore and not really what he wants to do. 

5 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I don't know why but I feel like he's also at pains to make it clear to anyone reading or listening that reporting on Villa is a job and he's not a fan. Which is absolutely fine, happens all the time and Jacob is the same. But he makes it clear whilst simultaneously refusing to outright say it or say who he does follow. Everyone knows Jacob was with Southampton before, Tim Speirs covers Spurs and supports Wolves, Matt Davies-Adams covers the lower leagues but is a big Forest fan and also works on Chelsea commentary and podcasts. It's never a problem for other people in the same sphere to say who they follow but it's like a big, badly kept secret for Gregg. Which leaves me to assume he's a bluenose because why else would you be so quiet. 

The last straw for me was him saying he'd been promoted by going on to cover Liverpool now (by the way still waiting for that "promotion" to kick in). I just wish there was more humility and I'd like him a lot more, it's a lot of people's dream job what he's doing, and he behaves like it's a bit of a chore and not really what he wants to do. 

pretty sure he is a Baggie, I dont think anybody would even have a problem with it if he was actually good at his job

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Has anyone listen to the Claret and Blue "create the perfect villa player" podcast? Sweet jesus. It's surreal. 

Reveal hidden contents

Robert Pires makes an appearance. 

Oh god. It's gets worse as it goes on.

Â