Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

Might be biased because I don't like TIFO (Athletic owned) to begin with, but their new video, titled "Are Aston Villa's transfers making them worse?" is baaaaad.

Trying to put my bias aside, it was genuinely just wringing 15 minutes out of "Tielemans has played a lot of minutes and he's free so his wages are high (???), and Torres is below average in the air". Not even any in-depth discussion about these potential points, just presenting them and proceeding to spend 5 or so minutes trying to shoehorn Mings in as either an inverted left wingback or using Cash in a 3-at-the-back. They briefly considered the possibility that Mings could simply just play on the right but dismissed it due to.. passing angles? Didn't even mention Diego Carlos once.

I don't like TIFO.

35 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Might be biased because I don't like TIFO (Athletic owned) to begin with, but their new video, titled "Are Aston Villa's transfers making them worse?" is baaaaad.

Trying to put my bias aside, it was genuinely just wringing 15 minutes out of "Tielemans has played a lot of minutes and he's free so his wages are high (???), and Torres is below average in the air". Not even any in-depth discussion about these potential points, just presenting them and proceeding to spend 5 or so minutes trying to shoehorn Mings in as either an inverted left wingback or using Cash in a 3-at-the-back. They briefly considered the possibility that Mings could simply just play on the right but dismissed it due to.. passing angles? Didn't even mention Diego Carlos once.

I don't like TIFO.

They barely mentioned JJ either. He’s integral to our play. The Tielemans comments were embarrassing. That and the clickbait title make it harder for me to pay attention to some more valid points they raised. 

I actually don't think there's much wrong with the actual content of the video as they are certainly factors to consider in the signings, its just the manner in which its presented with the title of it where the know what they are doing and defensive Villa fans will duly oblige them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I actually don't think there's much wrong with the actual content of the video as they are certainly factors to consider in the signings, its just the manner in which its presented with the title of it where the know what they are doing and defensive Villa fans will duly oblige them.

This.

Tifo are baiting villa fans, after the outrage their last video on villa created. Gave them a big lol for weeks. 

when villa fans are outraged online, it’s just embarrassing 

• Like 2

I don’t like the TIFO stuff, seems to be an apparent smugness with everything they do and they know more than everyone else.

To say they know more than Emery and his team, just reflects their own failings.

Sorry, but comparing “burnout” in Tielemans to Rooney is laughably bad and utterly embarrassing. They could have made numerous actual examples but couldn’t come up with anything relevant. 

• Like 1

Tbf I've always found Tifo videos to be a bit deceptively shallow whenever I watch them. Use of fancy charts and graphics usually obscuring not much great insight. Nothing wrong with that, probably targeting more casual fans which is fine, but it's an issue when the insight is just really reaching for anything and seeing what sticks, like it was in that video. The Tielemans bit was baffling, having to resort to a.. financial argument? for a free transfer?

22 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Sorry, but comparing “burnout” in Tielemans to Rooney is laughably bad and utterly embarrassing. They could have made numerous actual examples but couldn’t come up with anything relevant. 

It was hilarious. Even the guy didn't seem to agree with the comparison, saying that there were "admittedly other factors" in Rooney's decline.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Tbf I've always found Tifo videos to be a bit deceptively shallow whenever I watch them. Use of fancy charts and graphics usually obscuring not much great insight. Nothing wrong with that, probably targeting more casual fans which is fine, but it's an issue when the insight is just really reaching for anything and seeing what sticks, like it was in that video. The Tielemans bit was baffling, having to resort to a.. financial argument? for a free transfer?

It was hilarious. Even the guy didn't seem to agree with the comparison, saying that there were "admittedly other factors" in Rooney's decline.

Bloke said Mings to Torres is a huge downgrade. He criticised his aerial skills which is fair when you look at the stats but he’s coming into a different league and different system. Unai knows Pau’s weaknesses and strengths a lot better than this Tifo bloke. He’s welcome to criticise and make his arguments, I just think they are weak. He just cannot accept that we need rotating defensive options and ball-playing defenders alongside Mings, not in opposition to him. It’s really not hard to grasp why we signed Pau. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Bloke said Mings to Torres is a huge downgrade. He criticised his aerial skills which is fair when you look at the stats but he’s coming into a different league and different system. Unai knows Pau’s weaknesses and strengths a lot better than this Tifo bloke. He’s welcome to criticise and make his arguments, I just think they are weak. He just cannot accept that we need rotating defensive options and ball-playing defenders alongside Mings, not in opposition to him. It’s really not hard to grasp why we signed Pau. 

I felt that he made such a disproportionately big deal out of aerial ability, especially given how Champions League regulars Man United have a 5"9 CB in Martinez and Man City turned 5"10 Fernandinho into a CB for a season or two

Edited by wishywashy

As much as people are insisting that Mings and Torres will be first choice together, 1) we don't know that and 2) as much as its protested against, it is uncommon and generally frowned upon by coaches for two left-footed centre backs to partner one another. History and general common practice suggests the two may not partner one another, in which case I don't think there's anything wrong with highlighting how much of a risk it would be for Mings to be displaced as first choice given how crucial he has been to us.

There wasn't any take there that was particularly wild at all to be honest. It's not like he said it was destined to fail, he literally outlined exactly what Torres excels in at the same time and how that can benefit the team.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Indigo said:

As much as people are insisting that Mings and Torres will be first choice together, 1) we don't know that and 2) as much as its protested against, it is uncommon and generally frowned upon by coaches for two left-footed centre backs to partner one another. History and general common practice suggests the two may not partner one another, in which case I don't think there's anything wrong with highlighting how much of a risk it would be for Mings to be displaced as first choice given how crucial he has been to us.

There wasn't any take there that was particularly wild at all to be honest. It's not like he said it was destined to fail, he literally outlined exactly what Torres excels in at the same time and how that can benefit the team.

He also spent a vast time talking about is aerial failings which is fine but the individual clearly cannot see beyond their views which is fine. But you’d think he’d spend a bit of time looking at how Pau was used at Villarreal. Nobody has dismissed their analysis out of hand apart from dumb Twitter tribalists. I thought his Tielemans stuff was nonsense, however. It’s not an argument. It’s one person’s opinion that isn’t really grounded in fact. It’s trying to shoehorn in a reason to critique the move. 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I never got the hate for Preece, seemed a really good bloke, passionate about Villa

Don't think it was against Preece himself - who I agree is s top bloke. 

It's Birmingham Live, with its click bait approach to journalism, and regurgitation of any old crap. They seem to have been completely cut off by the club, so anyone doing that role has no chance. They just peddle muck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â