Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

3 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Came on here to write the very same thing. Freaking embarrassing. Don't understand why Bardell is so attached to this fraud.  

Yeah why does he insist on giving this bitter baggie villa hater a platform.

He's never even tried to hide his simmering contempt for villa in all the years we have had the misfortune of him covering villa.

Good riddance to the bitter baggie assclown.

Enjoy the golf and Liverpool coverage. Get ready to get your tongue 12 inches deep into the colon of sky sports. I'm sure he will love it it. You won't be missed.

Idiot.

And so it seems I'm last to the party.

What the **** does Gregg Evans contribute to that podcast? He doesn't support Villa, (this isn't a prerequisite, but I'd wager he doesn't even like Villa), no longer reports on Villa and has stated openly he's not remotely **** about pre-season games, so what a wonderful person to have a US Tour debrief with.

Gregg Evans is to Dan Bardell what Kyrie Irving is to Kevin Durant. (If you know, you know).

Dan admitted he goes on VillaTalk sometimes, or his old man does, and reads through the comments to see what people are saying and thinking. 

Dan or someone close to him, if you're reading, please let me know what the dynamic is with Gregg and Dan. I would love a "spill the tea" kind of video on this to get his thoughts. Oh to be a fly on the wall before or after recording those podcasts. 

I often think Gregg Evans gets a ridiculously hard time of it and the needless personal insults only reflect badly on the people making them, but it's more than a bit mad that he's admitted to not watching games when it's still part of his job to cover Villa. In that case it'd probably behove him to actually watch them play to get an idea of how the team will be setting up, where new signings fit in etc.

37 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I often think Gregg Evans gets a ridiculously hard time of it and the needless personal insults only reflect badly on the people making them, but it's more than a bit mad that he's admitted to not watching games when it's still part of his job to cover Villa. In that case it'd probably behove him to actually watch them play to get an idea of how the team will be setting up, where new signings fit in etc.

My gripe with GE is that I know how good the quality of reporting is that others at the Athletic put out and in comparison, GE's work is ridiculously poor.  It's supposed to be the premium flagship sports reporting source, and it is for a lot of teams in a lot of different sports, but not Aston Villa.  Hell, it was a shock when he originally moved to the Athletic from the Birmingham Mail because his coverage there was mediocre at best.  Compare his work there to that of Matt Kendrick, Ashley Preece, or now John Townley.  All three of those guys write circles around GE and would absolutely kill it at the Athletic with their additional budget and resources the reporters get.  It's insulting to us as Villa fans to see him being the main person covering our club for this long.  Hopefully this new Southampton writer can help up the standard of Villa coverage and GE can get a move on packing his bags to Scouceland. 

• Like 4

At least one of the following should be a requisite for reporting on Villa:

- Inside knowledge/connections to the club that provide insight that supporters wouldn't otherwise get.

- Technical & tactical acumen that can give supporters a deeper understanding of how their team plays.

- An emotional attachment to the club that allows them to write with genuine passion and create a connection with the fanbase.

I'm not sure Gregg has/had any of these things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KMitch said:

Dan Bardell  has Gregg Evans on today's 1874 Podcast again today...  Gregg admitted that he never watches Villa's friendlies.  Imagine having a job where you follow one club and write about it a couple of times a month, and you aren't even bothered to watch matches that the team is playing.  So glad this waster is fooking off to phone it in for Liverpool now. 

No wonder he got sent on a course about how to do his job

2 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

At least one of the following should be a requisite for reporting on Villa:

- Inside knowledge/connections to the club that provide insight that supporters wouldn't otherwise get.

- Technical & tactical acumen that can give supporters a deeper understanding of how their team plays.

- An emotional attachment to the club that allows them to write with genuine passion and create a connection with the fanbase.

I'm not sure Gregg has/had any of these things.

1. This cannot be proven/bragged about. You might get someone reporting with some inside info but not being to confirm/deny it either way.

2. Sure, that would be nice. But someone could be reporting without the technical analysis - more of a 'bigger picture' outlook. In which case, they don't need the tactical know-how.

3. I would be ok if they didn't have that. I want someone to tell me how things are straight up, and that's a little more likely without the C&B glasses on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand why they don't go for more interviews with past players and managers. Know your audience- villa fanatics.

The claret and blue and Villa View interviews with Gregory and Little are, for me, the best villa content out there. Likewise the MON interviews last year. Would love to hear more about things like the Collymore signing, how we missed out on Juninho and Muzzy Izzet etc. Someone like a Steve Stride would have some interesting stories!

9 hours ago, KMitch said:

My gripe with GE is that I know how good the quality of reporting is that others at the Athletic put out and in comparison, GE's work is ridiculously poor.  It's supposed to be the premium flagship sports reporting source, and it is for a lot of teams in a lot of different sports, but not Aston Villa.  Hell, it was a shock when he originally moved to the Athletic from the Birmingham Mail because his coverage there was mediocre at best.  Compare his work there to that of Matt Kendrick, Ashley Preece, or now John Townley.  All three of those guys write circles around GE and would absolutely kill it at the Athletic with their additional budget and resources the reporters get.  It's insulting to us as Villa fans to see him being the main person covering our club for this long.  Hopefully this new Southampton writer can help up the standard of Villa coverage and GE can get a move on packing his bags to Scouceland. 

Don't really disagree with anything you say here, was essentially just saying that I think a lot of the abuse he gets is undeserved* and despite that even I was scratching my head watching the first few minutes of 1874 last night. He's saying how meaningless friendlies are and that he "didn't really" watch any of them but is then trying to blag about how Diaby and Torres are bedding in, how well McGinn is playing etc as if it doesn't totally contradict what he just said.

Big fan of Dan Bardell and think he's as good a representative as Villa can have in this space, but I wonder what he thought of having to try to force a review show of the US tour out with someone who in the opening moments of it admitted he didn't care about or even watch most of it. Considering he's going about trying to rebrand the channel and make it all more professional it's not exactly the greatest of starts with that.

* by which I just mean the frequency in which I see pretty hefty personal insults etc directed at him for just not being that good at his job. Not to say I think he's great at it by any stretch, or that it offends me or anything of the sort but I do find myself rolling my eyes at a lot of the stick he gets because rather than any critique of him it's just calling him a "prick" and so forth, which ultimately says more about the person saying it than Evans himself.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Luke Robinson the best by a mile UTV podcast.

I love Luke... But he's more of a " one of the lads " type podcaster than an informational and analysis one IMO.

I like a few of the different ones for different styles and takes though.

Â