Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

• 3 weeks later...

I'm here yet again to moan about The Athletic. I was loving them when I first signed up years ago. I recommended them to a bunch of friends, family, former work colleagues. I cancelled my subscription last year and it's only still ticking over because I clearly didn't whine about their drop in standards enough to my Dad who paid for an annual subscription as a present. Finally be off that in a few weeks now. 

How they can justify the constant advertising of their other podcasts, alongside the sponsorship deals they now have on podcasts that are "ad-free on the app to all subscribers" - what do they consider as ad-free? A two minute conversation where the features of the new Google pixel phone are described followed by "I'm from the Liverpool podcast" is advertising. 

Alongside this just straight up intrusive ads on their app now! I'm paying to read these articles and I have to close the app because I can't scroll past a moving image about Omega tablets?! 

Is there any insight into why their standards have dropped so dramatically. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 17:14, wishywashy said:

Was happy they did this because they covered the Villa Man City game by bringing in two City fans and a Spanish expert to analyse Pep and Rodri. Barely touched on Villa. Beating Arsenal forced their hand I guess.

For an establishment at pains to say they don't just cover the big clubs they're very good at having none of their daily shows cover any of the bottom ten other than Everton, when comparing them to City and Chelsea charges or Burnley when they can talk about Kompany and where he'll be next.

Brighton finally got a podcast about them where the Brighton writer wasn't involved and they spent most of it trying to decide which club De Zerbi would do best at when he leaves.

Wolves and Brighton both get insanely bad VAR decisions against them and they are barely looked at, but Liverpool get that awful offside call and we get almost a running series spread across different podcasts to discuss for a week how we could allow this to happen to poor old long-suffering Liverpool. It was like a marvel tie-in event with people showing up everywhere, talksport, BBC, you have to follow everywhere the athletic sent it's writers to discuss the awful injustice and get the full picture of their narrative. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skarroki said:

I'm here yet again to moan about The Athletic. I was loving them when I first signed up years ago. I recommended them to a bunch of friends, family, former work colleagues. I cancelled my subscription last year and it's only still ticking over because I clearly didn't whine about their drop in standards enough to my Dad who paid for an annual subscription as a present. Finally be off that in a few weeks now. 

How they can justify the constant advertising of their other podcasts, alongside the sponsorship deals they now have on podcasts that are "ad-free on the app to all subscribers" - what do they consider as ad-free? A two minute conversation where the features of the new Google pixel phone are described followed by "I'm from the Liverpool podcast" is advertising. 

Alongside this just straight up intrusive ads on their app now! I'm paying to read these articles and I have to close the app because I can't scroll past a moving image about Omega tablets?! 

Is there any insight into why their standards have dropped so dramatically. 

I'm not sure how the athletic stays that profitable to be honest so I'm not surprised they've gone the extra lengths.

I cancelled about 2 years ago. The output is fast but it ain't worth the money for me. I'm surprised they'll be still going in 5 years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Have to say the level of detail Jacob Tanswell puts in his articles around our tactics is exceptional. It’s really refreshing to read something by someone who has not only watched the game but pays attention to the little things going on.

I said in the punditry thread that he is absolutely miles better than Evans was.

It's actually laughable when you see the quality of some of the stuff Tanswell puts out compared to what Evans used to give us.

I wonder if he's still pretending he got promoted

• Like 2

I really like Tanswell’s content and contributions, he’s very insightful and sees what we see. Ive stopped listening to the 1874 podcast as much now because I can’t stand hearing Gregg chatting shit in his half-arsed way. He’s harming Dan Bardell’s credibility in my view. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I really like Tanswell’s content and contributions, he’s very insightful and sees what we see. Ive stopped listening to the 1874 podcast as much now because I can’t stand hearing Gregg chatting shit in his half-arsed way. He’s harming Dan Bardell’s credibility in my view. 

I'll never forget last summer when they did a podcast to review the USA tour and greggs opening line was "I don't watch friendlies dan". I actually didn't used to mind him but since he's stepped away from covering villa I've got no idea why he's still on 1874

• Like 1

I still take the athletic, still has some decent stuff. Jacob Tanswell is first rate, massive upgrade on the quality of output without being too damning on Gregg Evans. Not much subscriber Villa support on there though, comments section is always pretty lame.

Have to say I miss @omariqy’s Villa Talks pod, particularly enjoyed the latter pods on Gerrard’s shambolic tenure and tactics. Pulled no punches, maybe Nasef was listening?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I said in the punditry thread that he is absolutely miles better than Evans was.

It's actually laughable when you see the quality of some of the stuff Tanswell puts out compared to what Evans used to give us.

I wonder if he's still pretending he got promoted

Evans was and is a rocket. 

Tanswell is miles better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

I still take the athletic, still has some decent stuff. Jacob Tanswell is first rate, massive upgrade on the quality of output without being too damning on Gregg Evans. Not much subscriber Villa support on there though, comments section is always pretty lame.

Have to say I miss @omariqy’s Villa Talks pod, particularly enjoyed the latter pods on Gerrard’s shambolic tenure and tactics. Pulled no punches, maybe Nasef was listening?

Thanks mate. Think one thing we were (for all our fault) was consistent on Gerrard from the very beginning. Never felt right 

Â