Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

32 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7mel2he9eigi6edta9i

So a major incident like goal line technology failing shouldn’t be a factor in that seasons story, because of “justice”?

It makes the assumption that everything after that incident would have unfolded exactly as it did.

If Hawkeye failed in the last game of the season towards the end of the game, then fair enough. We were saved by hawkeye.

But it happened in the first half of a game we drew with about 12 games left.

• Like 3

Just now, Woody1000 said:

They literally said that incident prevented it from being a 1-0 defeat and that point kept us up.

both statements are factually true. there’s could of beens that changed everything, but they’re are just possibilities in the endless multiverse. Yet in this universe that game got us 1 point and we survived by 1 point.

he could of expanded to talk about some vital wins, the arsenal win for example, but the video wasn’t about that particular season or that particular incident, just part of a brief getting up to speed where villa are now. 

Over all that video was good, and showcased what we are now and where we could possibly go in the future. 

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

both statements are factually true. there’s could of beens that changed everything, but they’re are just possibilities in the endless multiverse. Yet in this universe that game got us 1 point and we survived by 1 point.

he could of expanded to talk about some vital wins, the arsenal win for example, but the video wasn’t about that particular season or that particular incident, just part of a brief getting up to speed where villa are now. 

Over all that video was good, and showcased what we are now and where we could possibly go in the future. 

that's a total contradiction. it can't be factually true that it prevented it being a 1-0 defeat and also that there could have beens that changed everything. it's one of the other

however the lansbury goal there was no could have beens. it was the last kick. if hawkeye had happened in the last second of the season, then 100% - it's the reason we stayed up.

Just now, tomav84 said:

that's a total contradiction. it can't be factually true that it prevented it being a 1-0 defeat and also that there could have beens that changed everything. it's one of the other

however the lansbury goal there was no could have beens. it was the last kick. if hawkeye had happened in the last second of the season, then 100% - it's the reason we stayed up.

Could have beens and might of beens or even the the possibility of things happening are not fact. The draw and the survival by one point were 

the Lansbury incident is a shitter, but it’s not exactly a talking point to that season, particularly to a non villa supporter making a video for general football fans. 

The Hawkeye incident was one of the biggest stories of that season. We got a lucky point from that game and we so happened to survive by one point. All the other 35 points count too, but that one point was a major story, not for villa but that entire season in general 

21 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

With out talking about what could have happened, how are they not factually true? Did we not get one point to add to our tally from that game and did we not survive by one point? 

Because...

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It makes the assumption that everything after that incident would have unfolded exactly as it did.

If Hawkeye failed in the last game of the season towards the end of the game, then fair enough. We were saved by hawkeye.

But it happened in the first half of a game we drew with about 12 games left.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Because...

That talks about the possibilities. We have no idea what would have happened if that goal stood. We could gone on and won or we could have gone and lost 10 nil. Neither are fact. 

so let’s simplify my question to two easy yes or no questions. 

is it fact we got one point from that game?

is it fact that we survived that season by one point? 

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

That talks about the possibilities. We have no idea what would have happened if that goal stood. We could gone on and won or we could have gone and lost 10 nil. Neither are fact. 

I agree. That's literally my point.

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

is it fact we got one point from that game?

is it fact that we survived that season by one point? 

Yes and yes.

Neither of those mean "that incident prevented it from being a 1-0 defeat and that point kept us up" is "Factually true"

If it said "That incident prevented us from going 1-0 behind in the first half and that point kept us up if everything that happened after that moment for the rest of the season had unfolded in exactly the same way" then that would be factually correct

Edited by Stevo985

Gregg Evans gets on my wick like no other person in journalism. He has the energy of a sloth on pain medication and the warmth of liquid nitrogen. 

I'm so annoyed that he's still doing the 1874 podcast and I don't know why he's not been booted. 

"Promoted" to a position to talk about Liverpool? You kidding me. Some people dream about getting his opportunity and the closet WBA can't wipe a rare smile from his face when discussing the fact that he doesn't have to talk about Villa anymore. 

Just now, skarroki said:

"Promoted" to a position to talk about Liverpool?

If I was CEO of WH Smith and moved to be an admin assistant at Amazon, would that be a promotion?

That is a decent analogy of what's happened here

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I agree. That's literally my point.

Yes and yes.

Neither of those mean "that incident prevented it from being a 1-0 defeat and that point kept us up" is "Factually true"

Ok ok we now on a similar page, we agree what the facts were. 

now take ya villa cap off for moment. Out of all the 35 points we won that campaign, which one was the most interesting to talk about Villa’s survival to general football fans? 

as a villa fan I’m thinking the arsenal win or the West Ham draw on the last day. But other fans remember the Hawkeye incident, so it can’t be ignored or denied. As embarrassing it makes me feel 

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Ok ok we now on a similar page, we agree what the facts were. 

now take ya villa cap off for moment. Out of all the 35 points we won that campaign, which one was the most interesting to talk about Villa’s survival to general football fans? 

as a villa fan I’m thinking the arsenal win or the West Ham draw on the last day. But other fans remember the Hawkeye incident, so it can’t be ignored or denied. As embarrassing it makes me feel 

Nobody is saying it shouldn't be discussed, or that it wasn't notable, or that it isn't memorable for other fans, or that it wasn't interesting. Nobody is annoyed that it's being discussed,

All anyone is saying is that it isn't the reason we stayed up. The things you said that are "factually true" are absolutely not factually true.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If I was CEO of WH Smith and moved to be an admin assistant at Amazon, would that be a promotion?

That is a decent analogy of what's happened here

And to add to that, if he was a Villa fan and this was a dream it would be like going from the CEO of your own company to working to someone else with less responsibility. For some people, like Carl Anka, he's gone from Southampton reporter to a Man Utd reporter and it's understandable if he is a Man Utd fan that they'd move him to that club. 

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Because it they wasn’t a major incident. 

goalline technology failing was a big deal for the league, especially when a team benefited from it. 
all the others you mention were poor refereeing and var decisions.. what’s a common occurrence. 

our survival was in part (not in entirety) due to that major incident. It should be mentioned.  it is fact, it did help us stay up. 

VAR failed on all them other occasions, is that not the same thing?

Â