162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

10 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like keepers as captains? The guy you want talking to the ref or organising the team and he's stuck at the bottom of the pitch.

Usually I agree. For some reason Martinez feels right for us at this moment in time though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

20 people so far think mings should effectively be stripped of the captaincy...interested to know why?

Just because I don't think he reads the game very well.  He gets caught out of position too often for my liking.  I think this is partly because he is worrying about what other people are doing rather than being more focused on himself.  I want Carlos to lead our defence next season and order Mings around (like he did last season in Spain).  That is the way I think we will see the best of Mings.  I just think that is harder if Mings is the appointed captain because it sends some mixed messages. 

He'll still be a great ambassador for the club and one of the leaders within the squad - that is the type of guy he is.  I just want him more focused on his job - which is to try and stop the opposition scoring / creating chances. 

Sometimes I think the captaincy and the sense of trying to order about everyone else gets in the way of Mings keeping an eye on the man / zone he is supposed to be marking.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like keepers as captains? The guy you want talking to the ref or organising the team and he's stuck at the bottom of the pitch.

I was just about to post the same thing.  Keepers should never be captains imo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Mings won't react well to it being taken off him.

That depends on how you do it (if you do it).  If you just "strip" him of the captaincy then that could / would absolutely happen.  But make it about removing a distraction so that he can focus on his own game and earning his spot in the England squad back ahead of the World Cup and suddenly it is more of an opportunity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, allani said:

Just because I don't think he reads the game very well.  He gets caught out of position too often for my liking.  I think this is partly because he is worrying about what other people are doing rather than being more focused on himself.  I want Carlos to lead our defence next season and order Mings around (like he did last season in Spain).  That is the way I think we will see the best of Mings.  I just think that is harder if Mings is the appointed captain because it sends some mixed messages. 

He'll still be a great ambassador for the club and one of the leaders within the squad - that is the type of guy he is.  I just want him more focused on his job - which is to try and stop the opposition scoring / creating chances. 

Sometimes I think the captaincy and the sense of trying to order about everyone else gets in the way of Mings keeping an eye on the man / zone he is supposed to be marking.

it could be argued that martinez, by his standards and by the high standards we've come to expect, wasn't at his best last season. this season should be about him recapturing that form we saw in his first season, and doesn't need the added distraction

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I wouldn't either especially when the manager has speculated it in the press for months for no reason

things like this should be kept behind closed doors IMO. maybe it's to keep ty on his toes, but to basically tell the world "i'm thinking of replacing him as captain" isn't great man management

• Like 2

I would keep as is, but have Martinez/McGinn as vice captains, to cover cup games and the like as Mings and McGinn are at threat of being rotated and so won’t always play.

Young shouldn’t be in the equation for me as he’s hardly (hopefully) going to play. 

Removing it from Mings will undoubtedly upset the group a bit and possibly undo what’s been achieved whilst away in Oz. 

Review next season as Mings will be pushing 30+ and we may end up going for an upgrade next Summer. Martinez can then take it on, or Another 

• Like 1

McGinn is too much of a headless chicken (in a costume) for me to want him even as vice captain. Good lad, see him more as a comic relief than a leader.

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

it could be argued that martinez, by his standards and by the high standards we've come to expect, wasn't at his best last season. this season should be about him recapturing that form we saw in his first season, and doesn't need the added distraction

That isn't a bad shout.  I think all the travelling for internationals probably took a bigger toll than he / we expected.  Good that we have better back-up for this season so that we are in a better position to give Emi a break if he comes back too jet-lagged. 

I'd also agree that one of the issues with the keeper being a captain is that they are further from the ref and so more difficult to ask for a clarification on a decision.  Although I think most refs would be OK with an outfield vice-captain approaching them - just as long as it isn't the whole team.

Unfortunately I think it is a bit of an issue that we don't really have any other outfield options rather than Mings.  Couts would probably be the closest in terms of seniority but I'm not sure that he is a motivator - and he's probably another one who could do without the distraction.  Maybe Ings?  Although again we probably need him to sharpen up a bit.

1 hour ago, allani said:

That isn't a bad shout.  I think all the travelling for internationals probably took a bigger toll than he / we expected.  Good that we have better back-up for this season so that we are in a better position to give Emi a break if he comes back too jet-lagged. 

I'd also agree that one of the issues with the keeper being a captain is that they are further from the ref and so more difficult to ask for a clarification on a decision.  Although I think most refs would be OK with an outfield vice-captain approaching them - just as long as it isn't the whole team.

Unfortunately I think it is a bit of an issue that we don't really have any other outfield options rather than Mings.  Couts would probably be the closest in terms of seniority but I'm not sure that he is a motivator - and he's probably another one who could do without the distraction.  Maybe Ings?  Although again we probably need him to sharpen up a bit.

cash perhaps? but realistically it's between mings, emi and mcginn

Your captain ideally should be your best leader who also leads by example on the pitch as one of/the best players.

I don't think there's a stand our candidate as mings is the best leader we have but not the best player. Equally our better players aren't stand out leaders.

On that basis the best chpice for me is martinez

Â