162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

7 hours ago, John said:

Could you be referring to Dennis below;)? I would also 100% leave the captain's arm band on Tyrone's arm (he's a born leader, has been since he joined the club and who would be confident they would be able to take it off him?). 

image.jpeg.7722d8e2402c70d087aed3322b8adf80.jpeg image.jpeg.016e64d43ab22899e672d0af674129f9.jpeg image.jpeg.b37527d25673d6bb09a8f8c2e58bbac4.jpeg

Three great pictures there John. 

• Like 1

Mings for me. 

I wouldn’t be adverse to giving it to Emi. But I think Mings has been a great captain and I think any positive of giving it to someone else isn’t big enough to negate the negative of taking it off Mings. 

His attitude and personality as well as what he does off the field makes me proud test he’s our captain. 

11 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Always thought TM was the wrong choice after Grealish left, but now where he’s not guaranteed to start every match has to be Martinez.

Why did you think it was an odd choice?

Grealish was captain in name only. Tyrone was always the leader on and off the pitch.

On 23/07/2022 at 10:05, Zatman said:

I wouldn't either especially when the manager has speculated it in the press for months for no reason

Going public with the potential for a change mid-season was a very questionable decision, IMO, I thought it risked undermining Mings and struck me as quite poor man management. If he wanted to change it, it's bizarre he's let it run on for so long, we shouldn't still be speculating about this so close to the start of the season

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Grealish was captain in name only. Tyrone was always the leader on and off the pitch.

Hate it when fans think shouting and pointing makes people leaders. Grealish lead by example with the football at his feet. He lifted the whole team with his performances.

5 minutes ago, WHY said:

Hate it when fans think shouting and pointing makes people leaders. Grealish lead by example with the football at his feet. He lifted the whole team with his performances.

Disagree he was a good captain. He was our best player, and dragged players up towards his level when things were going well, but when things were against us, he was a sulking, petulant little bitch. Then there's his antics off the pitch.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Thanks 1

For me:

Mings club captain as he's a great leader and person on and off the pitch. 

Martinez VC as he's also appears to be a big leader in the dressing room and is likely to play every game so can naturally take over from Mings when he doesn't play

• Like 1

I picked Martinez as club captain for all the reasons many others have. Mainly though because I see him as the most constant in the side in the future or the more ere movable. He's also become somewhat of a beacon at the club since he arrived, from living in the shadows for near on a decade to now being everyone's champion, even Argentina's. 

I'm not adverse to keepers being Captain either, even if it wouldn't be my natural choice, many top keepers throughout history have been great leaders that have captained teams to title and trophies. Plus a keeper also has the advantage of seeing everything on the pitch.

As for Ming's.....It's funny because when you look at his own back story and what he has achieved, it's hard to find reasoning other than him not being a guaranteed starter for taking the captaincy off him. From a loanee in the Championship with us and cult status following our promotion, to captaining that side into a position whereby the next challenge is attaining European football. In 4 years that's some going, add to that his international caps and you find it hard argue for taking the captaincy away from him. And who can forget that photo of him in full kit at the train station, he'll always be loved for that. 

I think both are superb candidates, ambassadors for the club and both the main boys in the dressing and squad as personalities go. Until such time as one of them leaves or cannot retain their starting place then I probably would leave Ming's as captain and Martinez vc if only for continuity. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WHY said:

You got to remember some are still sore he left us, joined the league champions, won the league, big pay rise and playing champions league football every season, plus git us 100 million transfer fee, sorry we are way of top 4 and challenging for the league he made the best decision for his career, and I thank him for the momeries. 

Tyrone has to stay as captain, Chambers scores a header, and all of a sudden is Mcgrath reincarnated, Mings carried him a lot last season just like he did konsa

The fact we are arguing over 3 or 4 names for captain is a really good sign that we have good leaders across the pitch. Gone are the days when leaders tweeted photos of sports cars and called it an accident. 

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Didn’t say it was an odd choice, thought it was the wrong choice. Being a leader on field is great, but Captain is something different. I want someone who lives and breathes the club, don’t think that is TM.

Â