162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

cash perhaps? but realistically it's between mings, emi and mcginn

Interesting choice.  I think I was edging towards Digne as the option out of left field (boom boom).

6 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like keepers as captains? The guy you want talking to the ref or organising the team and he's stuck at the bottom of the pitch.

I'm frankly amazed the number of people who think Martinez should be it. 

The bloke behind me is constantly bellowing at Mings for not getting in The Refs face or an opposition player. He'd probably have a complete fit if Emi isn't constantly running up the pitch to remonstrate with somebody. 

Then again that bloke is an utter dick. 

I do think it's wrong though to have a keeper as captain. There is a lot more to it than I like him and he's going to start every game. 

In my opinion a midfielder is a preference as captain but if no one is suitable then a central defender.  At least someone who can dictate pretty easily through the whole playing formation 

As things stand right now, I’m dropping Tyrone… so I’d give Martinez the Armband, he’s the tight kind of captain and he most definitely has the respect of the squad. McGinn is too much of the “funny guy” to be taken seriously. 

The captaincy in football is more about a figurehead. Someone who represents the characteristics and spirit of the club, who sets the right tone and sends out a message, a Mr Aston Villa if you like. During matches his main role should be as a rallying point to drive the team on or to look to in times of crisis. Pretty much in a similar way Gerrard was seen in his playing days. The captain is not generally appointed for his tactical input in the same way that a cricket captain is. 

I think Mings more or less fulfils this role, certainly well  enough to continue, without knowing much about the players who have come in this summer. Although Diego Carlos may have the necessary attributes, I’m not sure it would be worth the effort or the potential disruption. Although as other posters have said it would depend how that’s handled. Without really knowing either that closely it could of course be worth it. For all we know Diego may be a brilliant captain for us and Tyrone could be relived to have the responsibility taken off him. As I say we don’t really know and it’s probably not all that important in the great scheme of things.

Although we always remember great captains, but that’s probably more to do with what the team achieved under their captaincy than their actual captaincy skills. Ask any Villa fan who our best captain was and I’m pretty sure who the  most popular answer would be. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Martinez Captain, Tyrone " Club " Captain / Club Ambassador as well as Vice Captain?

You’ve possibly touched on something here JV, in that what we really need is more than one captain on the pitch. It would be nice to think that we can look to a number of senior pros to show leadership skills when needed, without actually having the title. I believe most people thought of Tyrone as our captain during the time when Joe was our actual captain. Which probably tells us all we need to know about the title. Perhaps this is the real reason Carney won’t sign a contract. Make him captain and he’d play for 50 quid a week and a couple of hundred bibles to distribute at full  time. 

13 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think he's good enough to be starting for us on a regular basis. 

For us as it stands or where you hope Villa should be this season? Because he's better than Hause, Konsa and Chambers so I don't see how he doesn't start if not fit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

Always thought TM was the wrong choice after Grealish left, but now where he’s not guaranteed to start every match has to be Martinez.

Whose said he isn’t guaranteed to start every match? 

13 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ask any Villa fan who our best captain was and I’m pretty sure who the  most popular answer would be. 

Could you be referring to Dennis below;)? I would also 100% leave the captain's arm band on Tyrone's arm (he's a born leader, has been since he joined the club and who would be confident they would be able to take it off him?). 

image.jpeg.7722d8e2402c70d087aed3322b8adf80.jpeg image.jpeg.016e64d43ab22899e672d0af674129f9.jpeg image.jpeg.b37527d25673d6bb09a8f8c2e58bbac4.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Whose said he isn’t guaranteed to start every match? 

The manager, he's clearly stated every position is up for grabs and will be chosen on form, if TM was locked in as captain we would have confirmed it already. And the club bought a left sided CD who is an upgrade on the current one.

Voted Martinez but don't particularly like goalkeepers as captains so it's a tough one because I don't think Mings should be an automatic starter either?!

Maybe Mings club captain - Martinez on field skipper. I don't know tbh.. Will be interesting who SG goes for.

Â