Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

On 30/03/2024 at 08:20, rodders0223 said:

"That top doesn't go with those trousers'

Leave me alone Mom, I'm 44! 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I think like most kids, my 4 year old never really tells you anything about what’s happened at school.  

Today though, he’s told me several times already that he’s told his teacher that I haven’t got a willy. 

Did his teacher reassure him that you do but it’s just very small?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Did his teacher reassure him that you do but it’s just very small?

Hmm, I’m not sure. It’s the first thing I’m bringing up at parents evening though, so to speak.

• Haha 2

On 06/04/2024 at 15:13, PieFacE said:

My kid has started to like watching Mr Tumble and I don't know how I feel about it. Dude freaks me out.

Turn it off and go back to bluey 

My kids will still be forced to watch it when they're in their 20s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Turn it off and go back to bluey 

My kids will still be forced to watch it when they're in their 20s

Yeah I love Bluey. Think I enjoy it more than my lad :D 

• Like 1

So, I have two grandchildren ages 2-8. Recently the missus and I have been babysitting a lot as my daughter has to go to work in France twice a week after Brexit made her company move her job to Calais and her husband works shifts. I love the kids, I really do, but it annoys the living heebiejeebies out of me that these two kids are so glued to their pads and TV. I've tried to talk to my daughter about it, but she says it's fine and that everyone is doing it.

So, in order to prove a point we did a test the last two days, I took the little one for the day, we went for a walk to the pond, fed the ducks, climbed on trees, were physically active and had all our meals outside in the garden. We then went on to planting vegetables and we made the 2 year old her own little vegetable plot where she could sow anything she wanted.

The day before this we let her do what she does at home which is essentially to come home from nursery, watch her iPad, get overstimulated, have a melt-down, struggle through some physical play and then bedtime. 

The day where the kid didn't have her iPad, she fell asleep in half a minute, while in the other it took us 1 hour between us. 

How do I bring it up to my daughter that the iPad is rotting my grandchildren's brains? What do parents do these days if they want to be 'different' and not have their kids be so exposed to screens, hyperstimuli and the mental issues this brings? 

Edit: I don't want to sound like a grumpy old man (I am) but what the hell happened to actually spending time with your kids and not have some screen full of short edited cartoons be their babysitter?

I might do a rule that the only shows the kids are allowed to watch in this house is stuff from the 90's - before everything was turned into an acid trip full of short clips, sounds, bright lights and stuff like lululemon..

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

It's a really tricky one, and lots of people have very strong views either way, so I'll try to tread carefully! Should start by saying that I'm not suggesting that what we do is "right" - far from it - but it kind of works for our family, and might not for others. 

My 4 year old loves screen time, he could happily play games or watch programmes on his tablet all day without a break. But like you say, we noticed that when he has too much screen time, he gets really overstimulated, has meltdowns over the most insignificant things and is generally a nightmare. So we haven't cut out screen time altogether as that's not realistic for us - my husband and I both work, so need to time to get stuff done in the morning and evening. But we limit it to 20 mins in the morning (and only watching CBeebies on TV rather than a tablet which isn't quite as brainrotting as some of the other garbage) and 20 mins before bath time (this time on a tablet, but again only choosing from CBeebies programmes). He also only gets these if he's done certain things - i.e. waited for his clock to turn orange in the morning before coming out of his room, sat at the table nicely for dinner, not kicked his sister etc etc. We also give really clear timings/ countdowns so that he knows when time is up, rather than it coming as a surprise. Then on a Sunday we might all watch a film in the afternoon after we've done some kind of activity in the morning, which the children get to choose from a list of options.

Our 2 year old isn't that fussed about screen time (yet...), but we stick to the above with her as well. 

In terms of talking to your daughter about it, I would go easy on her - as you know, parenting is absolutely exhausting and we all do almost anything we can to make it easier. Maybe suggest that you've noticed that bedtime is a lot easier when screen time is reduced (a massive benefit for her, as she gets more time in the evening to herself) and perhaps they could start by watching better quality content (Numberblocks/ Colourblocks on iPlayer is great for 2/3 year olds), broken up by other activities? The autoplay dopamine hit of back to back episodes is pretty hard to break, so that might also be something to try to limit.

Sorry, probably not that helpful but just my thoughts

Edited by GeorgeVilla82
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 08/04/2024 at 18:06, hogso said:

Baby Hogso #2 due mid September 

Oh ffffuuuuuccccckkkkkkkk

It's OK, you won't give a shit about the second one.  Yes, eat that shit of the floor, run around with a snotty nose......whatever - you need to learn to fend for yourself😄  So much easier.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

On 06/04/2024 at 14:13, PieFacE said:

My kid has started to like watching Mr Tumble and I don't know how I feel about it. Dude freaks me out.

Christ almighty.  Is he STILL going?

My kids used to watch him and they're lumbering adults now.

Do they still do the Jimmer Jammers song?

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

So, I have two grandchildren ages 2-8. Recently the missus and I have been babysitting a lot as my daughter has to go to work in France twice a week after Brexit made her company move her job to Calais and her husband works shifts. I love the kids, I really do, but it annoys the living heebiejeebies out of me that these two kids are so glued to their pads and TV. I've tried to talk to my daughter about it, but she says it's fine and that everyone is doing it.

So, in order to prove a point we did a test the last two days, I took the little one for the day, we went for a walk to the pond, fed the ducks, climbed on trees, were physically active and had all our meals outside in the garden. We then went on to planting vegetables and we made the 2 year old her own little vegetable plot where she could sow anything she wanted.

The day before this we let her do what she does at home which is essentially to come home from nursery, watch her iPad, get overstimulated, have a melt-down, struggle through some physical play and then bedtime. 

The day where the kid didn't have her iPad, she fell asleep in half a minute, while in the other it took us 1 hour between us. 

How do I bring it up to my daughter that the iPad is rotting my grandchildren's brains? What do parents do these days if they want to be 'different' and not have their kids be so exposed to screens, hyperstimuli and the mental issues this brings? 

Edit: I don't want to sound like a grumpy old man (I am) but what the hell happened to actually spending time with your kids and not have some screen full of short edited cartoons be their babysitter?

I might do a rule that the only shows the kids are allowed to watch in this house is stuff from the 90's - before everything was turned into an acid trip full of short clips, sounds, bright lights and stuff like lululemon..

Like @GeorgeVilla82 said, its a balance. 

Your entire day, is not a typical day for a working adult.  

My day is up at 6.30/7, kids downstairs, breakfast, dressed, make lunches (if I've not done it the night before), school bags sorted, teethbrushed and get myself ready for work.

Finish work at 5, go pick up from afterschool club, back home around 5.30. 

Make them dinner because they're hungry.  If I don't want to do fish fingers again, then it takes longer to prep/cook everything.  Dinner usually served for 6-6.30pm.  They are slow eaters, finish anywhere between 7-7.15pm.  4 year olds bedtime, go upstairs, get ready for bed, read 2 stories and downstairs for 8pm.  9 year goes up when I go down, usually a bit of reading with him for 15-20 mins, leave him at 8.30-8.45.  Meanwhile, my wife has made our dinner and I eat around 8.30-9pm everyday - way too late and not entirely practical. 

So yea, my kids usually want to watch TV or play their Switch/Tablet or PS5 whilst they're waiting around for those things to be done.  So they probably have 1.5-2hrs of screen time per day. 

Weekend we're always out doing something, so not much screen time on weekends.

I very much look forward to the days where I get more time, but with things the way they are - costs for everything from after school clubs etc etc etc etc - we don't and we work full time. 

What I'm saying is, is don't judge too harshly, because there are reasons for the increased TV time and its not usually the parents fault, its a lack of time.  

I'd like to know what your family structure was when your daughter was a child - both working full time?  If not, how did you achieve the day you listed with her? 

• Like 3

My lad is nearly two, and I only let him watch a screen on the actual TV.  I’ve seen so many tablet zombie children in public that I’ve decided it might save myself a bunch of hassle not getting him a portable screen at all.

Not saying that’s the right or wrong way but I don’t get any of that kind of bother from him when out and about.  We have now cut his TV time to a max 1 hour a day too after probably being guilty of letting him watch more than recommended and I think it’s done him the world of good both cognitively and physically. 

That said I am looking forward to being able to play PlayStation with him.

Oh, and Mr Tumble can get to ****!

My issues lie elsewhere.  He just won’t eat for love nor money.   Dry and crispy stuff (veggie straws, rusks, crackers, crisps) is all he’ll have.  I think he may have arfid and now have had to get him on the pediasure shakes.

He would eat brown pasta pesto and Ella’s kitchen pouches until he was ill a few weeks ago but now they’re out too!  Frustrating as hell.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Like @GeorgeVilla82 said, its a balance. 

Your entire day, is not a typical day for a working adult.  

My day is up at 6.30/7, kids downstairs, breakfast, dressed, make lunches (if I've not done it the night before), school bags sorted, teethbrushed and get myself ready for work.

Finish work at 5, go pick up from afterschool club, back home around 5.30. 

Make them dinner because they're hungry.  If I don't want to do fish fingers again, then it takes longer to prep/cook everything.  Dinner usually served for 6-6.30pm.  They are slow eaters, finish anywhere between 7-7.15pm.  4 year olds bedtime, go upstairs, get ready for bed, read 2 stories and downstairs for 8pm.  9 year goes up when I go down, usually a bit of reading with him for 15-20 mins, leave him at 8.30-8.45.  Meanwhile, my wife has made our dinner and I eat around 8.30-9pm everyday - way too late and not entirely practical. 

So yea, my kids usually want to watch TV or play their Switch/Tablet or PS5 whilst they're waiting around for those things to be done.  So they probably have 1.5-2hrs of screen time per day. 

Weekend we're always out doing something, so not much screen time on weekends.

I very much look forward to the days where I get more time, but with things the way they are - costs for everything from after school clubs etc etc etc etc - we don't and we work full time. 

What I'm saying is, is don't judge too harshly, because there are reasons for the increased TV time and its not usually the parents fault, its a lack of time.  

I'd like to know what your family structure was when your daughter was a child - both working full time?  If not, how did you achieve the day you listed with her? 

As I said, I am an old grumpy man, so take it as you will, hehe. 

When we had two kids that age ourselves we both worked full time. I started at 7am and ended at 3pm, she started at 9 and was finished at 5pm. Sure it was stressful, but people raised kids before tablets and endless TV on back to back zombie-tube. We had help from her parents occasionally but generally our kids were encouraged to play outside and to learn how to play themselves. This day and age it seems like the short cut is often an iPad. I probably would've done that myself, but I feel that my kids would suffer for it. The amount of ADHD and short attention spans these days might be correlated to high screen time and instant gratification?

Our kids got to watch Postman Pat, Fireman Sam and Pablo the red fox when it was on for half an hour. That was it. They couldn't watch kids shows all day even if they wanted to.

I just don't think kids are meant to be spending 3-4 hours a day on an iPad, it screws up their brain and body. I feel like kids these days need to learn how to be bored. I know that sounds grumpy again..

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

My grandson watches youtube after school so from around 4.30 onwards. Its mainly stuff about the Titanic at the moment and people doing videos for kids but should be on some register. He will have 2 hours of that and then after dinner an hour of roblox. Its not a big deal. When I was a kid it was telly from 4 till bed so in all fairness kids and YT is their form of telly. 

3 hours ago, magnkarl said:

We've become quite lazy as people, due to combinations of unnecessary infinite choice, and technology. If adults are glued to the phones then what choice does a child have. It really worries me too. I try and avoid using my phone as much as possible in front of my children but we are effectively set up to depend on our phones. I do lots of activities with my boys too like you say, outside, games, etc which limits their screen time. They can't find anything to watch on TV with 47 children's channels. This is the choice issue. 

• Like 1

my daughter has a tablet but that was more because we travel a fair bit with my work

she is a proper tablet zombie, has unbelievable meltdowns over it

she also knows that Saturday afternoons daddy watches the football and she gets the tablet, she will wake up at 7am and start asking me about when the football is on, she associates me watching football with her getting the tablet

the main problem is that they work, same with the TV, if my wife is at home right now and wants to cook something, I'm not there, the only way she is sitting my 1 year old and 3 year old is by putting the TV on

the next problem is that i also love the TV and IMO (but definitely not my wifes) TV creates moments with me and the kids, we watch Disney films together, my daughter is now also the age where she wants Disney songs on in the car, I want to take her to the cinema more, i don't consider it lazy that on a Sunday afternoon i want to lie on the sofa and watch toy story with my kids, that to me is good time with them

Â