Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

On 07/01/2024 at 18:01, Dodgyknees said:

Nobody tells you the emotions you go through when you have your first child. I lost my dad last year, it’s been a massive emotional journey (and that’s not even half of it) I sometimes look at him and cry my eyes out wondering how then hell I feel so much love x 

Like a hard-drive being re-formatted -- except it's your heart. The love only grows, too.

• Thanks 1

Kid mildly ill at home with Covid. Low fever, fatigue, minor stuff so far. I'm still negative, wife travelling. "Kid" is a 6'4" teenager now, but I still feel that old parent vulnerability. We're following in-house isolation and masking protocols. I'm home for a few more days, making him meals on trays, etc. Kind of enjoying being "dad nurse."

• Like 1

On 15/08/2023 at 12:35, Stevo985 said:

I'm struggling a bit with the IDKWTCH undermining me with Jack at the moment.

He's old enough now that he knows when he's doing things wrong. He doesn't fully understand, but you can tell he's starting to push boundaries. But IDKWTCH is too lenient with him.

He has a little ballpit, and on Sunday he tipped it over and the balls went everywhere. I put them all back in and when he tried to do it again I was telling him no and being stern with him. You could tell he knew he shouldn't be doing it but he kept trying.
IDKWTCH was just laughing which was just encouraging him. And when he did finally turn it over and the balls went everywhere I told him off and again she just laughed.

Annoyed me more than it should have I think.

Old post, but the other thing that falls into this category is standing on the furniture. 

I tell him off if he stands on the sofa. Fro tel reasons, firstly I don’t think it’s crazy to want to teach kids that you don’t just stand on sofas. Secondly for safety.  One tumble and it’s a nasty fall. 

IDKWTCH laughs about it and let’s him just climb all over them. 

Today I was in the other room and heard a massive scream. She’d been letting him stand and jump off the sofa and he’d fallen off it backwards and smacked his head off the floor. 

Luckily he’s fine after a little cry. But I’m not ashamed to admit I’m feeling a bit smug about it. (But also angry)

Had the 8th birthday party for the little (but not as little she once was) one yesterday. 

Gosh it’s tiring. It was at a sort of multi entertainment venue, soft play, roller skating, lazer tag, sort of spinny bumber car things, mini go karts… Me and the ex v ten kids. In fairness the kids were very well behaved. Probably a score draw after an initial onslaught in the first half.

I feel like we’re coming to the end of manic parties in sizeable numbers, although it’s really difficult coming up with ideas. Especially in January, it feels extra tricky.

On 06/01/2024 at 20:02, Stevo985 said:

Everyone is different. That works with some, doesn’t with others. I only sit with him because he will not go to sleep any other way. And if it was taking 3 or 4 hours I wouldn’t do it. Sometimes it takes 90 minutes but most nights he’s asleep in about half an hour. 

everyone says let him cry it out. But we had two days where we just left him and after nearly 4 hours both times I gave up. He was sweating, distressed, he’d thrown everything out of his cot, screaming. It just didn’t work. 

All kids are different I think. You’ve just got to find something that works and go with it

That's normal to me with my boy, just become routine. Here only 3, will try and phase him out of this slowly but for now his sleep is more important for me.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Absolute nightmare of a day, our two year old girl vomited in the car, choked, stopped breathing, changed colour. Called 999 and were told that while they accepted the urgency it'd be over an hour until an ambulance could get to her. Fortunately we were round the corner from a&e and could sprint there with her, and she's on the mend.

I'm not going to be sleeping easy for a while though, thinking about what'd have happened if we'd been half an hour away at home. We'd have just been left to watch her die.

Christ. That's horrific. Hope she recovers quickly. Can't even imagine what that would have been like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Absolute nightmare of a day, our two year old girl vomited in the car, choked, stopped breathing, changed colour. Called 999 and were told that while they accepted the urgency it'd be over an hour until an ambulance could get to her. Fortunately we were round the corner from a&e and could sprint there with her, and she's on the mend.

I'm not going to be sleeping easy for a while though, thinking about what'd have happened if we'd been half an hour away at home. We'd have just been left to watch her die.

Horrific, glad you were so close to A&E. Terrifying that it would be an hour for an ambulance for something like that though 

• Like 2

On 07/01/2024 at 23:01, Dodgyknees said:

Nobody tells you the emotions you go through when you have your first child. I lost my dad last year, it’s been a massive emotional journey (and that’s not even half of it) I sometimes look at him and cry my eyes out wondering how then hell I feel so much love x 

Lack of sleep will obviously help that turmoil of emotions along too. What you’ve said feels similar to my second. He was born in Sept 2020, just 8 days after my dad died, so I was all over the place.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Lack of sleep will obviously help that turmoil of emotions along too. What you’ve said feels similar to my second. He was born in Sept 2020, just 8 days after my dad died, so I was all over the place.

It kicks hard doesn’t it? 🙏 and yes lack of sleep runs parallel with my emotions! 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2024 at 15:00, Davkaus said:

Jesus christ.

I'm so happy she's on the mend, but that is absolutely terrifying that it would be an hour for an ambulance to get to you

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Jesus christ.

I'm so happy she's on the mend, but that is absolutely terrifying that it would be an hour for an ambulance to get to you

Another thing to thank the Tories for, normalisation that ambulances might not come, even for children with special needs potentially choking to death.

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Jesus christ.

Yeah, I was stunned, we've been very fortunate previously and had crews here within minutes, but this has properly shit me up. Even ignoring the ambulance response times, if it was at night I could have just slept through that at home.

We'll be in for a few more days at least as she's developed pneumonia, but this ought to be bumping her up on to the emergency list for a surgical procedure that helps stop her reflux for good, touch wood.

The one upside has been that a few months ago my other half launched a charity to support parents with kids in hospital. Quite a small scale thing limited to this Trust, but we got admitted to a ward that has her posters up on the walls, and a couple of first hand experiences of some mums in our bay who've benefited from it, has been properly heartwarming.

• Like 3

Â