Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It’ll get worse. Then it’ll get better. Then it’ll get worse again. Then it’ll be better than it’s ever been. Then it’ll be the worst it’s ever been. Then it’ll get better again

teething 😬

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It’ll get worse. Then it’ll get better. Then it’ll get worse again. Then it’ll be better than it’s ever been. Then it’ll be the worst it’s ever been. Then it’ll get better again

Then you'll decide to have a second one and do it all again... 

I can't even remember what a proper nights sleep is, even when the kids aren't here, mad to me that up until the age of about 34 sleeping until 12 on a Sunday morning was a thing, your body clock completely changes

Wait until it crosses your mind that you and your missus are also tired moody words removed all day because you can't go to sleep because your tired little moody word removed won't go to sleep... Babies are nothing, wait until toddlers are literally breaking you because they are broken but still won't go to sleep, it's brilliant 

7 hours ago, Genie said:

With both of ours we went with the 2 nights of hell and let them cry out (if we knew they weren’t hungry, cold, poorly) and then it was plain sailing ever since. If it needed a third or fourth night we’d have pushed ahead. Short term pain for long term gain, and it’s in the little one’s interest too to sleep well, at night.

That's what we did at Christmas, 3rd night we gave him to the in laws though 😂 worked a treat

He's 18 months old, wife had to sleep in another room for 2 nights, just me and the boy with him proper aggressively screaming it wasn't crying, I had to almost like bear hug as firmly as I could get away with, first night he woke up 2 or 3 times, second night once, in laws once, now he's doing OK, he's still a shit sleeper and tosses and turns, wakes up but for maybe half a minute before going back 

• Like 1

The good (?) news is that as each challenging stage comes along, you are so caught up in it that you forget the previous ones. 

• Thanks 1

So my boy was born at 9:15, 2 minutes after she started pushing, it was so quick he was born as the waters broke - leading to mucous and more, he also had tongue tie )not connected) but they missed the main tie so he has to go back. Major problem was he got COVID soon after birth as well, it’s been horrific. That and some awful personal reasons have left me exhausted. I’m on my knees. But he’s getting Steiner, struggling to put on weight cos of his issues, actually lost loads, but two tiny improvements recently and he passed his hearing second time. 

• Like 2

Nobody tells you the emotions you go through when you have your first child. I lost my dad last year, it’s been a massive emotional journey (and that’s not even half of it) I sometimes look at him and cry my eyes out wondering how then hell I feel so much love x 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Nobody tells you the emotions you go through when you have your first child. I lost my dad last year, it’s been a massive emotional journey (and that’s not even half of it) I sometimes look at him and cry my eyes out wondering how then hell I feel so much love x 

May be around 3 it's a whole set of new emotions, not all of them positive 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Genie said:

With both of ours we went with the 2 nights of hell and let them cry out (if we knew they weren’t hungry, cold, poorly) and then it was plain sailing ever since. If it needed a third or fourth night we’d have pushed ahead. Short term pain for long term gain, and it’s in the little one’s interest too to sleep well, at night.

We tried it. It didn't work with ours. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We tried it. It didn't work with ours. 

I think you gave up too soon tbh. The reason everyone says it, is because it works. By caving in on night 2 you’ve reinforced the message if they cry for long enough then you’ll come back.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think you gave up too soon tbh. The reason everyone says it, is because it works. By caving in on night 2 you’ve reinforced the message if they cry for long enough then you’ll come back.

Nothing works for every kid. Just because it worked for yours doesn't mean it'll work for others

Jack physically threw up the second time we tried it because he was in such a state. That's enough for me to draw the line

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Nothing works for every kid. Just because it worked for yours doesn't mean it'll work for others

Jack physically threw up the second time we tried it because he was in such a state. That's enough for me to draw the line

As hard as it is it would have been it would have been better to simply clean him up and then leave again (imo).

He’ll be all round a happier child if he goes to sleep within a few minutes of being put into bed.

That link between screaming and getting attention has to be broken. He won’t love you any less. He’d thank you in the long run, if he could remember.

If it was last week you tried, and you stuck to it, you’d all be enjoying 7-8 hour blocks of uninterrupted sleep this week.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Genie said:

As hard as it is it would have been it would have been better to simply clean him up and then leave again (imo).

He’ll be all round a happier child if he goes to sleep within a few minutes of being put into bed.

That link between screaming and getting attention has to be broken. He won’t love you any less. He’d thank you in the long run, if he could remember.

If it was last week you tried, and you stuck to it, you’d all be enjoying 7-8 hour blocks of uninterrupted sleep this week.

Yeah... we wouldn't. 

Or rather we would, because we are. But we just need to spend half an hour getting him to go to sleep first.

Crying it out wasn't working. Thanks for assuring me it would have worked, but it wouldn't :thumb: 

Edited by Stevo985

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Crying it out wasn't working. Thanks for assuring me it would have worked, but it wouldn't :thumb: 

If you’re gonna give him what he wants then you’re 100% right, it won’t work.

I’ve heard people complaining that they were up at 4am watching Peppa Pig because the little one was kicking off. As soon as you give in just once it’s so hard to recover from.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Babies are nothing, wait until toddlers are literally breaking you because they are broken but still won't go to sleep, it's brilliant 

This is where we are at the moment, my daughter is 3 now, went in to her own bed about about 3 months ago now I think - she's quite little so we got as much time out of the crib as we possibly could. 

Oh those days where just leaving her were an option...she's straight out of bed now as soon as that door closes, running up and down the landing, trashing her room, and she thinks it's the most hilarious game ever, putting her back in, her getting back out, etc. etc...

She's really in to hitting us at the moment whenever she doesn't get her own way. We get the odd hair pull and bite too. Thankfully it's just us she's physical with, good as gold for her nannies and at nursery. 

The hitting I'll tell her off for of course...it's when she pretends to be a cat and starts licking everything I can't stand, properly winds me up.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

My 3 year old daughter doesn't hit to be fair to her she's too soft for it, my boy on the other hand... I think I've wrestled with him a bit too much already, he's over here doing frogman splashes off the top of the sofa and all sorts, rip your nose off while laughing maniacally, it's great until he does it to my 3 year old... 

He'll take toys off her with no resistance at all, she can stand up so that he can't reach, she can move, she can push him away, she can do several things but instead she'll just let him have it and scream the house down instead 

One thing my lad would do when he was younger was hit himself when he was really frustrated. He’d hit himself in the face, or grab at his cheeks and face and mark himself. It was so sad and frustrating to see. Thankfully it was quite a short phase he grew out of.

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

One thing my lad would do when he was younger was hit himself when he was really frustrated. He’d hit himself in the face, or grab at his cheeks and face and mark himself. It was so sad and frustrating to see. Thankfully it was quite a short phase he grew out of.

Our granddaughter as a two year old went through a terrible phase of huge meltdowns, where she was biting herself and headbutting doors if she couldn't get her own way. Really distressing to try and deal with. But she's grown out of it - 4th birthday was yesterday. She still gets pissed off, but just moans and whinges now. 

• Like 1

Watching The Last Crusade with my daughter and every time Indy was on screen she referred to him as "John McGinn" for some weird reason.

"Why is John McGinn on an airship? Why does John McGinn have to go to a castle? Why does John McGinn have to choose a shiny cup?"

Â