Europa League Conference Final/Champions League Final/Championship&League 2 Play Off Finals

andykeenan

10 times French champions Saint Etienne have just been relegated on penalties in the play-off.

Immediate Pitch invasion from their own fans to throw flares and other stuff at their players. 

And then about 20 minutes after that the club owners announce the club has been sold.

French footy been out of control this season!

Investigation incoming on the Champions league. I can tell you now, I'm not sure on the outcome, but there is now way they will attempt to put any of the blame on the Liverpool fans. They will be talking about suing the French police an UEFA as it is!

I haven't looked into it but if its like Wembley all the crowd organisation would probably have been sub contracted out to third parties who employ people on crappy wages and minimal training, which might contribute. Having a final at a club stadium might possibly result in better organisation. This is just a theory though.

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Investigation incoming on the Champions league. I can tell you now, I'm not sure on the outcome, but there is now way they will attempt to put any of the blame on the Liverpool fans. They will be talking about suing the French police an UEFA as it is!

They’ve said the blame was a combination of 1) large groups of Liverpool fans with no tickets 2) large groups of Liverpool fans with fake tickets 3) locals trying to force their way in.

This is why they closed gates and it all got backed up.

No issues with Madrid fans getting in.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

They’ve said the blame was a combination of 1) large groups of Liverpool fans with no tickets 2) large groups of Liverpool fans with fake tickets 3) locals trying to force their way in.

This is why they closed gates and it all got backed up.

No issues with Madrid fans getting in.

You need to read the Twitter thread posted earlier.  Naturally the France sports minister doesn't pin blame on the authorities at all :D 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You need to read the Twitter thread posted earlier.  Naturally the France sports minister doesn't pin blame on the authorities at all :D 

I have read it and several other accounts of what happened.

There are many reports of fans without tickets and fake tickets and locals causing a nuisance. The official enquiry says no tickets, fake tickets, locals were the cause.

I’m sorry that this doesn’t align with the view you’re desperately trying to protect.

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have read it and several other accounts of what happened.

There are many reports of fans without tickets and fake tickets and locals causing a nuisance. The official enquiry says no tickets, fake tickets, locals were the cause.

I’m sorry that this doesn’t align with the view you’re desperately trying to protect.

Ah, well if that's what the official enquiry says :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love how everybody blaming French authorities. Nothing to do with all those fans that turn up with ‘fake’ tickets. 

Why is fake in written in inverted commmas? Are you suggesting that the tickets that they had weren't fake? Fans turning up with fake tickets happens at every event, even CL finals. The majority of these events pass off without the scenes that occured at the weekend.

Edited by sparrow1988

23 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Why is fake in written in inverted commas? Are you suggesting that the tickets that they had weren't fake? Fans turning up with fake tickets happens at every event, even CL finals. The majority of these events pass off without the scenes that occured at the weekend.

I've seen a thread on twitter from a spanish Madrid fan, with a genuine ticket who says it was initially thought to be a fake by the Police - who were using some kind of pink ink pen to "detect" fake tickets. I've seen Andy Robertson the Liverpool full back say his complimentary ticket passed to his brother or friend was claimed to be a fake. I saw the French authorities immediately claim there were 10s of thousands of fans with fake tickets, yet they couldn't possibly have known that when they claimed it. And these alleged 10s of thousands of fans - they seem to have miraculously vanished, as they were not pictured by any cameras or photographers.

It's conceivable there were a few in circulation, but the claim there were thousands doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny.

What there is evidence of is:

Local youths robbing and mugging spanish and Liverpool fans in significant numbers

Local youths climbing fences to try and get in

Police kettling supporters, of both sides, but particularly Liverpool

Turnstiles being closed for no apparent reason

Massive delays to people trying to get in hours before kick off and a build up of fans which the authorities couldn't cope with.

Some (small number) of supporters being idiots

Police massively over reacting and tear gassing kids and the elderly.

Similar problems at that ground for Rugby matches.

The supporters of both sides appear to be largely blameless in all this.

But already the media messaging from UEFA and the French authorities is causing people to think " Oh, look, scousers at it again"

I suspect a significant part of the problem is due to (the understandable, perhaps) mindset that (because of idiots in the summer at Wembley) there would be all kinds of fan trouble, but in fact there was none, just massively stupid policing and admin.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Why is fake in written in inverted commmas? Are you suggesting that the tickets that they had weren't fake? Fans turning up with fake tickets happens at every event, even CL finals. The majority of these events pass off without the scenes that occured at the weekend.

I shouldn’t have used the inverted commas. I actually think a lot of Liverpool fans turned up with no tickets. Fake tickets is making out some of them are victims.  

Same thing happened in Istanbul and many fans all charged through the barriers. Security just gave up and you had 2-3 people to a seat in certain areas.

That was avoided in Madrid as you couldn’t get close enough to ground without a genuine ticket.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â