Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

And Brad Friedel was deemed an acceptable age when he was pushing 40, but no one wants to sign my cousin Steve to play in midfield. Typical double standards.

How tall is Steve?

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Starting CBs aren't supposed to cost 30m? We signed Mings when he'd played about 20 prem games for 25m and Konsa was 15m despite never playing a prem game. Both been good value for us even if we've seen their flaws in trying to push us into top 10.

Think issue here is Sevilla more likely to sell Jules Kounde who Chelsea really want and he'll be in 50m bracket so can't see them cashing in on both of their starting CBs.

Starting CBs for what level? Because I'd argue you need to at least be paying 30m to get top level starters.

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Why would we ever pay a transfer fee for this guy with no prem experience when Tarkowski is available on a free and the same age.

Because Carlos plays regularly in the CL/Europa and Tarkowski has just been relegated with Burnley?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

33 is the new 29. All this diet and nutrition stuff is prolonging careers.  My view is they should all retire at 30 and give youngsters a chance .

As someone who is about to turn 30, I am immensely offended by your post and would like to report a hate crime 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Because Carlos plays regularly in the CL/Europa and Tarkowski has just been relegated with Burnley?

Djimi Traore has won the Champions League. Within a couple of years he was on loan at SHA.
Milan Baros ended up here. 
They had Igor Biscan on the bench.

Andy Robertson got relegated with Hull (I know, I know - Harry Maguire)

La Liga is a very different league - is the extra money (which would be £10s of millions) really be worth the difference in a player that's the same age? 
Or is a proven PL player the better option, given the likely savings? (And I accept that PL proven isn't everything, but it is something)

(Genuine question)

3 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Djimi Traore has won the Champions League. Within a couple of years he was on loan at SHA.
Milan Baros ended up here. 
They had Igor Biscan on the bench.

Andy Robertson got relegated with Hull (I know, I know - Harry Maguire)

La Liga is a very different league - is the extra money (which would be £10s of millions) really be worth the difference in a player that's the same age? 
Or is a proven PL player the better option, given the likely savings? (And I accept that PL proven isn't everything, but it is something)

(Genuine question)

All cherry picked examples to prove your point.  I didn't say Carlos was better than Tarkowski or Tarkowski was better than Carlos, just that people are going to gravitate towards the player who's playing at a higher level

Would be a nice signing but I expect if we're going to sign a CB for £30m+, they'll be younger.

Not too say we will ignore experience, but I expect if we're going to go for an experienced CB (read: older) then their experience will include Premier League or International football and likely would be cheaper.

Feel like it'll need to a really special player for us to spend that fee on someone pushing 30.

Those that have seen more of him, Is that description Carlos? I've not seen enough of him to comment but I feel like there's a few headwinds against us making this deal

25 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Craig Dawson was relegated with WBA, Jonny Evans got relegated with Sunderland, both are playing for europa league teams.

Â