Nottingham Forest

Demitri_C

• 2 weeks later...

More interesting possible moves for Forest.

Neco Williams (RB/RWB) - 15/16m (Liverpool)

Omar Richards (LB/LWB) - 8.5m (Bayern)

already signed Henerson (GK - loan), Niakhate (DC - 9m), Biancone (DC/RB - i guess he would play right sided CB of a 3 for them? - 9m), Awonyi (ST - Davis clone - 19m).

really impressed with their business tbh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very interested to see how they work out and hope they do well. However, slightly disappointed nobody is saying they're "doing a Fulham" like they did about us. It's nonsense even if they did but why don't other clubs get that stick? 

15 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Very interested to see how they work out and hope they do well. However, slightly disappointed nobody is saying they're "doing a Fulham" like they did about us. It's nonsense even if they did but why don't other clubs get that stick? 

Well they've "only" spent around £55m or so - whereas both Fulham and ourselves spent well over £120m on return to the Prem.  

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Well they've "only" spent around £55m or so - whereas both Fulham and ourselves spent well over £120m on return to the Prem.  

I had them not far off £70m but with plans to spend a lot more and we were getting grief well before we broke £100m.

Just now, Rds1983 said:

I had them not far off £70m but with plans to spend a lot more and we were getting grief well before we broke £100m.

I don't remember when it all started on spending amounts to be honest.  Further, wasn't it immediately after Fulham got promoted, spent £120m+ and then got relegated too?  So the "doing a Fulham" thing was about consecutive seasons.  Which just hasn't happened this time round.

People are way too hung up on the whole thing.

19 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Probably because when Fulham and us did it it was considered crazy and funny but the reality has set in now that there's far too great a disparity between the championship and the PL and then also the team building of the championship means loans and expiring contracts plus players that simply aren't good enough

People have gone quiet on it because they'd rather talk about how brilliant both leagues are 

Its close to a case of teams should spend £100m after promotion and that's mental 

When Fulham were promoted and spent a lot of money on lots of new players they weren't criticized for it, in fact they were praised for showing ambition.

When we did it people were making a lazy comparsion between us and Fulham, as back then Fulham's failure was very much still fresh in people's minds, if a newly promoted club had have been relegated last season after spending big on a whole new team, then likely people would be now comparing Forest to that team.

• Like 1

They've got a bit of a Swansea 2011/2012 vibe about them imo....Swansea gave us a really good game at VP that season and beat us 2-0, their fans were very loud and can see forest adopting that mentality on the road this year too. Made some good signings and think they will be the surprise package. Players seem to really like Cooper

On 14/06/2022 at 08:37, Demitri_C said:

I think the parachute payments will be looked at in next few years

Only way they can do that is to have compulsory relegation wage reduction clauses in all players contracts because either every club who gets relegated immediately goes bust or any promoted team literally spends nothing and doesn't even bother compete leading to immediate relegation guaranteed for every single promoted team. 

Omar Richards confirmed, doing some good business by the looks of it. Will be interesting to see how they go next season, fees haven't been massively over the top either for decent young players so if the did go down would probably fetch a lot of that back anyway.

I thinkbthey are doing some very smart business. Out of the three looking like best bet to stay up if they start well. Fulham also could do well.

Bournemouth for me will finish rock bottom which will be annoying as we will do what happened against watford i bet.  Any other time we play them i think we beat them

Never been too convinced about Neco Williams when i've seen him play but i suppose he is young, has plenty of time to develop and will only get better with a run of first team football. Done some good business so far and seem to be fairly sensible with their transfer dealings. Definitely one to watch this season.

On 08/07/2022 at 18:53, sidcow said:

Only way they can do that is to have compulsory relegation wage reduction clauses in all players contracts because either every club who gets relegated immediately goes bust or any promoted team literally spends nothing and doesn't even bother compete leading to immediate relegation guaranteed for every single promoted team. 

And the entire squad would want to move to avoid getting a massive pay reduction.  

You do have to look at clubs like Stoke and Boro and wonder where has their parachute payments gone on as neither of them have really looked liked promotion material for years.

Cooper is a good manager. Swansea have dropped a lot since he has left- though like many club in the Championship I think they have money issues.

I was very impressed with O'Brien the few times I saw him play last season, I wouldn't have been disappointed if we signed him, looks a really good player. Have a similar feeling with him that I had with Watkins and Cash, which is to say if Forest were to get relegated next season I think there's a good chance that he'd get a move to another Premier League team.

Â