Match Thread: Burnley v Villa

limpid

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Of course and if it meant something I'd take that but it doesn't.

Performance is more key than results to show where we are going and I still cant figure out the style of play under Gerrard, we have rarely performed well under him.

Disagree with the last point.  We are 11th with a game in hand (or two) on all the teams around us apart from Leicester (admittedly with 2 of those matches being ones where we'll start as massive underdogs).  I think it is vitally important that we finish 10th (or at worst 11th) this season, if we are going to be able to realistically sell the "vision" that is us challenging for Europe to the players that can make that happen.  Newcastle will be throwing money at people, Leicester lost a European semi-final, Wolves and West Ham have been in and around European places for the last couple of seasons (West Ham also can point to a European semi-final this season).  We need to be able to persuade players why they should be signing for us rather than those 4 teams.  Much easier if we finish 10th than it is if we finish 13th or 14th).  We should be able to market ourselves favourably against Brighton, Brentford, Palace and Southampton (with no disrepect intended to those clubs).  So 5 ugly (but good) results are much more important for next season than 5 decent performances.  The good performances can wait until August.

• Thanks 1

As soon as that ball went out to McGinn you could see all it needed was a decent cross; both CB's followed Ings and the left back didnt track Ollie

Excellent strength in the build up by Luiz also noted

32 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Lennon seems like a good egg, remember him from back in the day at Spurs when he was brilliant. Him and Gabby did this speed run advert thing for Nike years ago, must have been 06/07 time and he beat gabby. seems like he has been around forever tbh

Just looked it up. 6 months younger than Gabby

• Shocked 1