Ratings & Reactions: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/22 at 00:00

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Is it only Southampton and Man U that we have beaten who are currently in the top half?

Since we came back up we’ve also beaten Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea off the top of my head. Not West Ham though frustratingly. 

I don't think West Ham's style is that bad, certainly nothing like as bad as Wimbledon back in the day or Burnley now.  They have some good footballers and some physical footballers and they mix it up well.

I do think this game is where a different type of forward would have helped, someone bigger and stronger i.e. a Davies type, to distract the big CBs involved with a more physical battle. 

Re-watching the second goal breakaway a few times, Lanzini starts at roughly the same place that Coutinho is and maybe 5-10 yards nearer our goal than Young.  Coutinho barely breaks into a jog, Young takes about 3 seconds to realise it's a breakaway and by the time Lanzini scores Young is about 30 yards behind him.   

For all his magical skills I do think Coutinho needs to work a bit harder when don't have the ball.   Buendia is much better at that type of thing.

Ramsey for me shows some great skill going forward but has a habit of drifting out of games and also losing or not winning the ball in dangerous areas.  I think he's a great player but I honestly think he needs a rest and maybe Sanson given a run.

The frustrating thing for me is at 2-1 we were not for some reason attacking the west ham go. More interested in passing it around.  It felt like we were the ones defending the lead not trying to get the equaliser.  Didnt get that

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

The flat track bullies of the Premier League

I think that's harsh.

Ultimately top 3 lose very few games these days. I know Chelsea fell off the pace over xmas but that was more draws than defeats and even Man. United under Rangnick haven't lost that many in the league despite looking poor in last few months. They've lost 3 all season and two were against Man. City (Chelsea).

We've beaten Arsenal a couple of times since coming up and we always give Liverpool very good games home and away and don't get smashed by them compared to many other teams in the league.

Hopefully we don't suddenly lose all confidence now again as Coutinho could certainly make an impact in the home games v Arsenal and Spurs with the space he'll likely get. Young potentially as LB for those games is a bit of an issue though.

Last season our results v top teams were very good. We still didn't finish top half though.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Philosopher said:

The pass made it hard for Bailey, and it looks as though he was tripped to me, but for some reason there is no close up I can find anywhere. He had got his body in the way. It was either a trip or a dive! If a dive Bailey probably cost us a goal. However the pass was one of a number of high risk passes McGinn played that didn't come off and thats the point i was really making.

Then you would be right, but recipients have to be better too......not trying to move away from the point, but McGinn and Luiz, lack midfield authority, which cover a combination of shortfalls......Declan Rice clearly showed what we are missing.

easier said than done to find one of them, I know, but we have to try.

Each and every time we play them.....He dominates midfield.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Then you would be right, but recipients have to be better too......not trying to move away from the point, but McGinn and Luiz, lack midfield authority, which cover a combination of shortfalls......Declan Rice clearly showed what we are missing.

easier said than done to find one of them, I know, but we have to try.

Each and every time we play them.....He dominates midfield.

He's exceptional. One of the best there is in that position. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He's exceptional. One of the best there is in that position. 

He is Paul......but its arguable, if we have one similar in our squad....They have 2 if you class Soucek as one.

Chelsea have Kante and Jorghino.......Liverpool have Fabinho and Henderson.....our 2 Mcginn and Luiz, who are deployed there are not Authoritive enough.

I wouldn't mind if we have one, but not quite as good...... some will claim Marvellous is, but he is way off Declan Rice,standard bless him.

Its been a position that has plagued us for some time IMO........hopefully we fix that in the summer.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Physicallty cannot be confused with Bullying.....but I fear, its sometimes is.

One is combative within the confines of the laws of the game.......the other is possibly outside, those rules, where they run the risk of cards and suspensions.

Physicality is an integral part of the game.....The modern game and the old game, its always been around.....and while it lends itself to physical stature, it doesn't have to be so, some diminuitive players have a fiery temperament.

Those that use it well, use it to influence the outcome of the game, and have it in their armoury, amongst the other attributes, they have.....The name of the game is to have players in your squad, who can help you negate it.

signing players with twinkle toes, is great, but it can leave you short, in certain types of games....where that influence is required.

• Like 1

There is a good piece in the Birmingham Mail on Monday with the Headline " I know what is missing "

There was a few quotes here, from the gaffer......I think are interesting for the fans:

"We need more profile in our team,stature.......Looking at both teams, there's a few area's where I thought West Ham had a bit more than us"

" I don't think they did have more technically or in possession or creativity, but in terms of stature, how they defend,set- plays and crosses, I think there was a gap"

" My job, when the time is right, is to get the right support and to help the group, make us stronger in key areas as well and that is certainly what I analysed from today"

"I thought the game was decided on moments rather than us being outplayed or outclassed.I thought there was not too much in the game"

" We lost the game on two moments. We have allowed an attacking player to take a touch, turn,and have a free shot on goal.....The second one , we are in control of the game in terms of possession and we have lost the ball in an unnecessary place and paid the price"

"They are a strong team, with a lot of Power.I have learned a lot from the opposition but that is always the case.Every game you are analysing, especially when you are new into the job"

I think many of these observations have been documented on here, by a number of posters......I am just glad the manager has seen it for himself.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Looking at both teams, there's a few area's where I thought West Ham had a bit more than us

they have a shit Marlon Harewood up front , but look how he challenged the defenders V Watkins and Ings who kinda half heartedly chase them down  ...though I suppose , that he injured his hamstring chasing down a defender could be seen as a bad thing 

Rice is obviously an upgrade , but i'm not sure there are too many other West Ham players i'd want signing for us from that team we faced on Sunday   .. possibly Soucek ?

what Moyes did is have them well drilled , they were getting 8 or 9 behind the ball , keeping their shape and all we could do was play keep ball without creating any real chance  ..and then when we turned over the ball chasing the equaliser , they hit us with a sucker punch ( though i think Martinez should have saved it ) 

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

they have a shit Marlon Harewood up front , but look how he challenged the defenders V Watkins and Ings who kinda half heartedly chase them down  ...though I suppose , that he injured his hamstring chasing down a defender could be seen as a bad thing 

Rice is obviously an upgrade , but i'm not sure there are too many other West Ham players i'd want signing for us from that team we faced on Sunday   .. possibly Soucek ?

what Moyes did is have them well drilled , they were getting 8 or 9 behind the ball , keeping their shape and all we could do was play keep ball without creating any real chance  ..and then when we turned over the ball chasing the equaliser , they hit us with a sucker punch ( though i think Martinez should have saved it ) 

7/8 of them are bruisers, who when they're allowed to forearm smash our players etc. Get a bit of an advantage... Its a bit of a throwback in that regard. Then they have decent flair players up front, if you let a match with Spam become a wrestling match you'll lose. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

7/8 of them are bruisers, who when they're allowed to forearm smash our players etc. Get a bit of an advantage... Its a bit of a throwback in that regard. Then they have decent flair players up front, if you let a match with Spam become a wrestling match you'll lose. 

That's a false narrative.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Antonio is on another level to Harewood.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

There is a good piece in the Birmingham Mail on Monday with the Headline " I know what is missing "

There was a few quotes here, from the gaffer......I think are interesting for the fans:

"We need more profile in our team,stature.......Looking at both teams, there's a few area's where I thought West Ham had a bit more than us"

" I don't think they did have more technically or in possession or creativity, but in terms of stature, how they defend,set- plays and crosses, I think there was a gap"

" My job, when the time is right, is to get the right support and to help the group, make us stronger in key areas as well and that is certainly what I analysed from today"

"I thought the game was decided on moments rather than us being outplayed or outclassed.I thought there was not too much in the game"

" We lost the game on two moments. We have allowed an attacking player to take a touch, turn,and have a free shot on goal.....The second one , we are in control of the game in terms of possession and we have lost the ball in an unnecessary place and paid the price"

"They are a strong team, with a lot of Power.I have learned a lot from the opposition but that is always the case.Every game you are analysing, especially when you are new into the job"

I think many of these observations have been documented on here, by a number of posters......I am just glad the manager has seen it for himself.

One could point the blame for the second goal to him though because he did take off a midfield player for an attacking player so leaving us vunerable for that type of situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dale said:

Was like watching Stoke on Sunday. the elbows they got away it was disgusting and its not because they were playing tough either. Its cowardly actions

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

One could point the blame for the second goal to him though because he did take off a midfield player for an attacking player so leaving us vunerable for that type of situation. 

Took off his defensive midfielder and we concede yet keeps on McGinn who offered nothing except maybe a few jokes to cheer Gerrard up

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I understand the point you’re making - focusing particularly on the ‘blame’ for the goal.  You’re not wrong.

But I’d have been pissed if we hadn’t gambled at that point. So I took that to be the right decision with the wrong outcome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

I understand the point you’re making - focusing particularly on the ‘blame’ for the goal.  You’re not wrong.

But I’d have been pissed if we hadn’t gambled at that point. So I took that to be the right decision with the wrong outcome.

Yes its risk reward situation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

I see your point.....but, I think he chose to go for the win, considering him not having a sufficient like for like replacement for the player coming off.

also, it doesn't mitigate a player giving the ball away so cheaply, in light of him being given an opportunity to shine.

Â