Kalvin Phillips

Delphinho123

8 minutes ago, John said:

I wonder if Southgate is in his ear, as he was with our former captain last year. Move to a bigger club, get European football and it couldn't help but improve your England chances. I wonder if he's on a percentage from the buying clubs?

Funnily enough Phillips got his first call ups on the back of his final championship season, not having kicked a ball in the PL once.

At the same time, Grealish didn't get call ups/starts while at Villa in the PL, and the talk was that Gareth was in his ear about moving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did this actually happen though ? I think it’s more to do with Jack’s personality and off the field antics than his ability and who he played for. 

He didn’t feature much in the last international break either. 

Hasn’t Southgate been quite open about the fact that he wants the England players playing at the highest level ie Champions League? So even if he’s not directly saying it to their faces, the implication and pressure is there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Hasn’t Southgate been quite open about the fact that he wants the England players playing at the highest level ie Champions League? So even if he’s not directly saying it to their faces, the implication and pressure is there.

Fair enough. Still don’t think he likes Jack though. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did this actually happen though ? I think it’s more to do with Jack’s personality and off the field antics than his ability and who he played for. 

He didn’t feature much in the last international break either. 

As WallisFrizz has said, he was quite open about wanting England players playing at the highest level. Whether he actually said that to them is open to question, but if he was asked for advice by one of them on a transfer, I would think he would likely say the same. 

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Funnily enough Phillips got his first call ups on the back of his final championship season, not having kicked a ball in the PL once.

At the same time, Grealish didn't get call ups/starts while at Villa in the PL, and the talk was that Gareth was in his ear about moving.

Yes, that was strange and it just flew in the face of what he seemed to be saying about Jack back then. I get the feeling Southgate didn't like our former captain then and he doesn't like him now. I guess they are just totally different personalities, I never considered Gareth to be a "party animal" during his time with us, or at any time since. Perhaps it's a bit like Hoddle when he didn't pick Gazza?

7 minutes ago, John said:

As WallisFrizz has said, he was quite open about wanting England players playing at the highest level. Whether he actually said that to them is open to question, but if he was asked for advice by one of them on a transfer, I would think he would likely say the same. 

Yes, that was strange and it just flew in the face of what he seemed to be saying about Jack back then. I get the feeling Southgate didn't like our former captain then and he doesn't like him now. I guess they are just totally different personalities, I never considered Gareth to be a "party animal" during his time with us, or at any time since. Perhaps it's a bit like Hoddle when he didn't pick Gazza?

He was also calling up Mason Mount when he was playing for Derby in the Championship...  He just doesn't like Jack.  

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe England should find a coach that managed that level and not a relegation 

That’s the irony in it all, he never played in the champions league, won a league, managed at the highest level. He’s a bellend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can’t stand Southgate.

Hasn’t got balls big enough to tell the truth so he just makes up bullshit.

I genuinely would have some respect for him if he had just said ‘I don’t like Jack’s personality, and I believe he would affect the dressing room in a detrimental way.’

But the bullshit excuses just made him look childish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

He was also calling up Mason Mount when he was playing for Derby in the Championship...  He just doesn't like Jack.  

It's funny because he was Jack's son that season. We beat Derby something like 10-1 on aggregate including the playoff final. He was walloping first time volleys in his face and was the best player in the league not named Pablo Hernandez. But he didn't play for Chelsea though.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's funny because he was Jack's son that season. We beat Derby something like 10-1 on aggregate including the playoff final. He was walloping first time volleys in his face and was the best player in the league not named Pablo Hernandez. But he didn't play for Chelsea though.

Even if he did he wouldn’t have been called up. As many have said, he just doesn’t like the guy.

back on topic. Philips is going to City. The sooner this is moved to other football the better.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

He was saying that whilst picking Mount and Phillips in the championship and then the latter with relegation battling Leeds. No wonder some of the England players aren't performing if the manager is hypocrical and inconsistent. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Even if he did he wouldn’t have been called up. As many have said, he just doesn’t like the guy.

back on topic. Philips is going to City. The sooner this is moved to other football the better.

Seems like it goes back to their U21 days.

• Like 2

Be a shame to see Phillips go and sit on the bench because I can't see him getting in front of Rodri, certainly not in the big games, and he'll end up being Jack's fashion (or lack of it judging by those high heeled Uggs) mate. His choice though and he will be a wealthy bench warmer!

7 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

I suppose Phillips value is a reflection of his importance to Leeds, sort of like Grealish was to us and Rice would be to West Ham,

spot on.....sign to steer clear.

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I'd be baffled if he ends up at City. They can do miles better than him. Pep will probably try to turn him into a centre half.

Didn't he start off as a centre half and was poor so Bielsa moved him into midfield 

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

spot on.....sign to steer clear.

Or importance to them turns to importance for us. Just being devils advocate.  He’s that important to them and we aren’t much better than them, if we brought him and he became important to us, that’s a win!  His price is high though! Sometimes though I’d rather pay PL tax than risk overseas player.

I haven’t made my mind up about Phillips and buying him but buying a key player from a rival who could be a key player for us sounds like a good idea to me.

Â