Pre match thread

mottaloo

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Well over the last few weeks we’ve seen poor some really poor performances and results. It feels like I’ve said this a couple of times this season already but we need to stop the rot. Win or draw, I’ll take either right now.

Konsa comes back in for me but I really would consider using Chambers in a defensive midfield position  for a couple of games and see if this helps us take a bit more control in the middle of the park?

Ramsey definitely keeps his place but I still wouldn’t be surprised to see Luiz and McGinn starting yet again.

Ings I think will get the nod to start this one again but Bailey and Watkins should certainly be used at some point.

I thought we would beat Newcastle and Watford, so I’m not going to predict another win for us here in case I jinx us again. Will take a 1-1 all day long.

Martinez

Cash        Konsa              Mings        Digne

Ramsey      Chambers      McGinn

Buendia       Coutinho

Ings

The definition of insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

we need to try 3-4-2-1..with chambers dropping back and Cash and Digne further forward to where they will be, anyway.

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Well over the last few weeks we’ve seen poor some really poor performances and results. It feels like I’ve said this a couple of times this season already but we need to stop the rot. Win or draw, I’ll take either right now.

Konsa comes back in for me but I really would consider using Chambers in a defensive midfield position  for a couple of games and see if this helps us take a bit more control in the middle of the park?

Ramsey definitely keeps his place but I still wouldn’t be surprised to see Luiz and McGinn starting yet again.

Ings I think will get the nod to start this one again but Bailey and Watkins should certainly be used at some point.

I thought we would beat Newcastle and Watford, so I’m not going to predict another win for us here in case I jinx us again. Will take a 1-1 all day long.

Martinez

Cash        Konsa              Mings        Digne

Ramsey      Chambers      McGinn

Buendia       Coutinho

Ings

Thats what I would go with.  

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The definition of insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

we need to try 3-4-2-1..with chambers dropping back and Cash and Digne further forward to where they will be, anyway.

Its not exactly the same because Chambers is more defensively minded than Luiz and he can slot in and support the two cbs when we are defending.  I dont think we need to go to a back three. 

I think if we go back to the more solid back 5 set up again from tomorrow we will be fine.  He surely can't go with a back 4 with 2 of them wing backs any more, even if it's his favoured system and in the long term the team will be built in that fashion, he has to put it away for now.  Ideally he would have learnt it before the Watford game but he is still young and learning at this level.  It would mean we have to get more width in up top and it would be tough to leave out either Buendia or Coutinho.  Perhaps Bailey could come in on the right and play one of the others as a false 9.

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think if we go back to the more solid back 5 set up again from tomorrow we will be fine.  He surely can't go with a back 4 with 2 of them wing backs any more, even if it's his favoured system and in the long term the team will be built in that fashion, he has to put it away for now.  Ideally he would have learnt it before the Watford game but he is still young and learning at this level.  It would mean we have to get more width in up top and it would be tough to leave out either Buendia or Coutinho.  Perhaps Bailey could come in on the right and play one of the others as a false 9.

Can’t see Gerrard going to 5 at the back!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Can’t see Gerrard going to 5 at the back!

I was including Martinez in the solid back 5 that kept loads of clean sheets last year, sorry wasn't very clear.

Basically

Martinez

Cash   Konsa  Mings  Digne

McGinn  Doug  Ramsey

Bailey   Coutinho  Buendia

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was including Martinez in the solid back 5 that kept loads of clean sheets last year, sorry wasn't very clear.

Basically

Martinez

Cash   Konsa  Mings  Digne

McGinn  Doug  Ramsey

Bailey   Coutinho  Buendia

Oh! My bad! Thought you meant 5 outfield defenders.

Funnily enough , I think a 3 - 4 - 3 or 3 - 5 - 2 ( I know ... I know ) would probably help us out, along with the way SG wants to play, and with the personell we have. ( Until we get Nakamba back or until we sign a solid CM/CDM etc )

Enough presence is midfield and at the back, without sacrificing space through the middle and potency in attack. The Fullbacks are basically operating as wingers as it stands.

You could then probably interchange with the likes of Bailey and Young, Traore more effectively.

E.g

Chambers.        Konsa.          Mings     

Cash         JJ.         McGinn/Luiz.        Digne

Buendia.                              Coutinho

Watkins/Ings

Was listening to Villa View pre match and them talking about Van Gaals version of these formations, and how Brighton play it etc. Just a thought.

Outside CBs moving over to cover each flank when necessary.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The flasher.

It’s impossible to call this game. Both teams in poor form. Both teams should be doing better than recent results. Both sets of players low on confidence.

I think there’s a chance of someone doing something rash out of desperation and getting a red card! If that happens, you have to favour the other team. Otherwise it will probably be a draw.

I'll be so concerned if we play the same formation again.

He said in the week we were in control against Watford. It took Dean Smith nearly four years to start talking BS like that. Saying we were good when we weren't.

Today, sitting right back deep without a kick, is a game we could get some points in in this shape.

We can absolutely go down this season.

31 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

It’s impossible to call this game. Both teams in poor form. Both teams should be doing better than recent results. Both sets of players low on confidence.

I think there’s a chance of Maupay doing something rash out of desperation and getting a red card! If that happens, you have to favour the other team. Otherwise it will probably be a draw.

Fixed.