Pre match thread

mottaloo

"We go again ..."

Brighton got their arses smacked vs Burnley; we got....well, we all know what we got vs Watford, so who's going to bounce back ?

Heart says sneaky 1-2 last gasp win with both Ings and Watkins scoring.

Head says - at best - a scrappy goalless draw.

can't see us doing the double over them, we were quite fortunate in the home game and they should have buried a couple in that game. Cucurella was causing us problems all game. Maupay won't have another quite one against us, a draw would have to be seen as a good result. Players have it in them to get the 3 points but i just dont have the faith that we will deliver on the day.

I’d be tempted to start Bailey in this one. He won’t get better without decent minutes and despite his performances flattering to deceive, I think he’s better suited against a team that will come at us and not sit back. Brighton will dominate the ball almost certainly so we’ll have to try exploit them on the counter. I want to see Bailey running with space rather than against teams sat back where he gets crowded out. 

I completely understand why there’s good reasons why Bailey shouldn’t be anything other than a sub but something needs to change for us as we’re lacking any creation. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, avfc456 said:

After reading this thread on their forum (I was trying to find some decent parking) I'm hoping we really get up and at these clowns judging by some of the replies 

Link

One of them has small heath relatives/friends so they deserve to lose just for that. 

Oh and "combined IQ of a shelled peanut"? 

Getting us confused with Olbiyun or the rags, surely. 

-------------------------Emi--------------------------

Cash-------Konsa------Mings------Digne

----------------Tim/Chambers----------------

-----Buendia----Sanson-----Ramsey----

-------------Coutinho----------------------------

-----------------------------Ings--------------------

Chuck to come on for Coutinho. Bailey to push wide for one of the midfielders if needed second half. McGinn for some energy late on if holding a lead.

We need to get bodies in the box and attack down the left with Digne whipping the balls in. Have Mings move over left for cover and Chambers drop back to keep a back 4. Tell Cash to stay back, use Emi for width on the right. Ramsey push up as a second AMC behind Ings when attacking. Phil needs to get those through balls to Ings. He's a clever runner.

1 hour ago, avfc456 said:

After reading this thread on their forum (I was trying to find some decent parking) I'm hoping we really get up and at these clowns judging by some of the replies 

Link

I wasn't entirely convinced after the opening post that says: "Watch us go top six".

They're six points off 8th place.

• Haha 2

I think we need to change the system which is clearly not working.  I'd go back to basics a little and get our back four to do what most other back fours do - and that's to DEFEND.

Stick Chambers in front (he's probably done enough to keep his place, albeit he would be in a different position, but not sure he'd be any worse than Luiz currently is!) - Hopefully he would give us the solidity that's been missing since Nakamba's absence.      

Further forward is a bit of a conundrum. Buendia and Coutinho are our main players for me and both need to be playing and although I'm showing them out wide (as below) I think with this formation they would still have a license to drift in field and make things happen.

Let the two midfielders concentrate on being midfielders (not full backs) and hopefully you would see a better performance by both (in particular McGinn) - Though TBH I would be ok with Sanson in his place, just concerning that he hasn't been given a chance even though the performances haven't been great, makes you wonder how he's been performing in training. 

Martinez

Cash       Konsa        Mings          Digne

Chambers

Buendia   McGinn    Ramsey     Coutinho

Ings

With the likes of Watkins, Bailey, Luiz and Chuk to mix things up if required.

All that said - I would take a point and a good performance right now if offered. UTV.

Everything about this game looks bad for us - we're in terrible form and struggling to adapt to this system - they're also not in great form but they are at least settled and they are perfectly set up to play on our big weakness; quick turnarounds of the ball to players down the wings who can take advantage of our fullbacks being so high. 

I'm guessing Burnley beat them with direct powerful football, the sort we don't do, and they pass the ball a lot better than Newcastle and Watford, which we might struggle to defend. With nine times Ballon D'or Winner Yves Bissouma negating the threat of Coutinho and Buendia it's going to be a difficult day.

I'm hopeful we'll be improved on our last two performances, but I have a feeling Lamptey and Cucurella will have a field day.

I'm going for a double disappointment; Brighton to win 2-1 and Maupay to leave the field conscious.

You never know though, at some point we'll have a game where it mysteriously clicks for no reason whatsoever and we beat someone well.