Pre match thread

mottaloo

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Everything about this game looks bad for us - we're in terrible form and struggling to adapt to this system - they're also not in great form but they are at least settled and they are perfectly set up to play on our big weakness; quick turnarounds of the ball to players down the wings who can take advantage of our fullbacks being so high. 

I'm guessing Burnley beat them with direct powerful football, the sort we don't do, and they pass the ball a lot better than Newcastle and Watford, which we might struggle to defend. With nine times Ballon D'or Winner Yves Bissouma negating the threat of Coutinho and Buendia it's going to be a difficult day.

I'm hopeful we'll be improved on our last two performances, but I have a feeling Lamptey and Cucurella will have a field day.

I'm going for a double disappointment; Brighton to win 2-1 and Maupay to leave the field conscious.

You never know though, at some point we'll have a game where it mysteriously clicks for no reason whatsoever and we beat someone well.

We had most of the possession against Newcastle and Watford, and struggled to break down there low block.  Bright should have the majority of possession, so hopefully we can hit them on the break, just need to be more compact in the middle. 

Just now, duke313 said:

We had most of the possession against Newcastle and Watford, and struggled to break down there low block.  Bright should have the majority of possession, so hopefully we can hit them on the break, just need to be more compact in the middle. 

Yes, we pretty much know how this game is going to look. They will dominate the ball completely which could be a blessing. Maybe an opportunity to use Bailey’s pace on the break.

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yes, we pretty much know how this game is going to look. They will dominate the ball completely which could be a blessing. Maybe an opportunity to use Bailey’s pace on the break.

As much as I like the idea of Bailey's pace on the break, I'm interested in how people are looking to fit him into this system.

Are we talking about playing him up front over Ings and Watkins?

Or as a ten over Buendia or Coutinho?

Or even as a fullback over Digne or Cash?

I just can't see where people are fitting him in.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As much as I like the idea of Bailey's pace on the break, I'm interested in how people are looking to fit him into this system.

Before he got injured the last time Gerrard used him as one of the 10s so I guess that would be it. Not sure how he’ll fit in either, but Brighton could potentially be a fitting opponent.

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Before he got injured the last time Gerrard used him as one of the 10s so I guess that would be it. Not sure how he’ll fit in either, but Brighton could potentially be a fitting opponent.

Fair enough, I'm not sure I'd be dropping Coutinho or Buendia for him though!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wasn't entirely convinced after the opening post that says: "Watch us go top six".

They're six points off 8th place.

Along with we are fickle as we want Gerrard out, in reality a handful on Twitter must of commented "Gerrard out", whom obviously speak for the majority of us 🤪

They change formation all the time. More than they probably should

I would imagine this will be a 3421 (the formation we should be playing) and they will absolutely roast us out wide for 90 mins with second runners getting in behind us constantly.

If we play the same formation, we will be sat in our box and might have a bit of success on the break but it will be Steve Bruce garbage.

I'll really turn here if we take a shoeing because it'll signal we are actually just going to carry on in this shape. 

It'll either be fat-headded stubbornness or inability to do anything else.

We will lose every game we try to play football it, and at best grind out 6/7 points sat in our own box in it.

Always feels a difficult match up for us but our record v them is actually alright since we came back up, just one defeat in five matches.

Away to them was probably one of our worst performances of last season with Grealish actually in the team....they battered us but Emi was in wall mode. Think we'll score and get a point,     1-1.

52 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We aren't going to get a kick so I'd leave Coutinho in Birmingham to be honest.

Bailey up front.

McGinn to 10.

Sanson to 8.

Feels like a really important match now, even though winning or losing doesn't really do much for our league position either way. 

But another loss and confidence will be gone for the remainder of the season.  A win and we have something to start building on. 

A loss and its 1/12 points out of our 4 'easy' games which is like relegation form.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Konsa comes back and Chambers to replace Luiz so we have a more solid base to the midfield. 

I would also hope Chambers is up for it, but we don’t yet know if he’s thought of as a midfield option at all. He may not want to play there and hasn’t done it for three years. When he was signed, I don’t think he was presented as a potential midfielder.

11 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I would also hope Chambers is up for it, but we don’t yet know if he’s thought of as a midfield option at all. He may not want to play there and hasn’t done it for three years. When he was signed, I don’t think he was presented as a potential midfielder.

The way I see it he just going to give us more defensive cover off the ball when Cash and Digne are caught up field.  The two becomes a three at the back. Not a lot different to where hes playing now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yeah, could definitely be a third centre-back.

For me this is the most logical tweak to the system.  Now that Konsa is back along side Mings, Chambers can play as DM and drop to form a back 3, which means they spread out to cover the two wing backs when they go forward.

• Like 2