Pre match thread

mottaloo

Never really thought much of Brighton, another nothing team making up the numbers.

Sure they would argue the same about us but we are still the fifth most successful English club, they have nothing.

Yes they might beat us as we are in transition but I have a feeling we will bounce back and get the win.

I actually think this is a great fixture for us. Brighton have a slow ponderous build up - which unsurprisingly doesn't yield many goals.

Keep it tight and the quality of countinho + running of Ramsey could see us finish the game strongly.

If we set up and defend like we have in the last two games Brighton are going to rip us a new one, however if they system is modified, and our players play to the levels they can, we have a good shout at winning this one. Have to say I'm quite concerned.

10 minutes ago, smg said:

Not a lot of response to this, unsurprisingly. You must be a little disappointed ?

Ha no. Don't worry I have enough self awareness to appreciate the sentiment appears ridiculous to most people. On previous managers I'd be mocking the person who made.the post I did.  Obviously if Gerrard turns out to be success happy days. But unlike other managers where I'd obviously.give them more time, I just  strongly believe he's going to turn out to have been a bad appointment on the Sherwood mould, maybe Roy Keane is more apt a comparison. A former world class player with no clue how to get lesser beings to play well together. He is naive, and making decisions that make me worry. Watkins for Luiz as a sub basically said 'shit, we need goals, er stick the forward on and take off a non forward. A wiser manager might have thought about how better to break the opposition down. He also does that PR patter of 'being really honest' but that will only set him up for a fail when all those changes don't happen or a response doesn't come. 

Anyway I won't go off topic on this further. It was a somewhat.hot headed post by me, and no doubt premature, but I've been so disappointed by the approach and results of the past few games. 

Against a manager who has earned his stripes learning elsewhere I fear Gerrard will be out thought again. 

The reality is always if villa win I'm happy, but with little to play for now, I'm not bothered if results end up forcing Purslow to re-assess. 

• Like 3

Have to say, Gerrard's current position feels horribly reminiscent of the days of Tactics Tim, only with a far more expensive squad at his disposal. I'd love to be wrong, but I do worry that he's out of his depth in the prem. 

42 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

I absolutely don't want to see Chambers in midfield. Tweak the formation and let midfielders be midfielders and not fullbacks.

This. Every day of the week. Chambers's positioning has worried me and has a tendency to lunge in. He should be used as a reserve defender and not a DM. Luis at DM didn't stop us winning plenty of games home and away last season so we should be able to gain more control of the midfield in games if we're not expecting McGinn and Ramsay to cover full backs who are being asked to bomb forward so much. Gerrard needs to get us back to doing the basics well and revert back to getting us playing how we did in his opening 6 games. Trying to change too much with new instructions is causing confusion and it shows.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

I absolutely don't want to see Chambers in midfield. Tweak the formation and let midfielders be midfielders and not fullbacks.

Having him as a cdm will give us extra protection and allow the fullbacks to bomb forward. its not exciting but needs must. 

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Having him as a cdm will give us extra protection and allow the fullbacks to bomb forward. its not exciting but needs must. 

A quote from this link here on Chambers as DM. Feels like a long time he played CDM also. This won't end well in my opinion. Tweak the formation instead.

"He has been caught out a few times playing in a more spacious area of the pitch"

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/calum-chambers-arsenal-fulham-tactical-analysis-statistics